1. 1. Do you like fondant on cake?

• Yes
    • No
    • I like fondant, but not cake
    • I don't like cake or fondant
    • Unsure/never had it

This poll is closed to new votes

RoseGoesToYale

I went looking for pictures of wedding cakes and noticed it's really hard to find pictures of cakes that don't have fondant. If you've never heard of it, it's the smooth cake covering that looks like this:

71qnte6eOBL._CR204,0,1224,1224_UX256.jpg

As opposed to the traditional fluffy frosting:

fd29199f9daaf1cea333fa8c70a7e1d4.jpg

When my grandpa turned 90, he got a custom fondant birthday cake. I remember having to peel the stuff off, there was so much of it. I found the taste a bit funny, too. I guess I'm in the buttercream frosting camp. But the designs that can be made with fondant are almost unlimited. What say you? :cake:

My mom used to decorate cakes, and a few years ago I did a wedding cake. Fondant looks good, but regular buttercream or similar frosting is tastier and has a better texture. Provided it's not the junk from a jar/can. I guess I got spoiled as a kid. :P 

I can't actually recall if I ever ate cake with fondant... I do love a good buttercream frosting! :)

purpleandgreylife

I like fondant in theory. This year I've started watching cake videos - how to make and decorate cakes. Some of the more challenging cakes to make use fondant, so I would like to try it for the sake of mastering the cake. However, as far as just having cake, I'd prefer buttercream frosting because, as many have already mentioned, it has a smoother texture and a richer taste. Not to mention, that I could probably make a low sugar or sugar-free buttercream frosting, but fondant is literally made with marshmallows and sugar. That is too sweet for me.

I will admit though, I really want to make this cake, and I would need to use fondant to do so. It's not that  much though so it's not a deterrent.

I don't mind fondant, although I prefer cake without it 

dragon_nerd

I don'T realy like fondant. I like traditional buttercream icing or sourcream icing 

I prefer the traditional buttercream icing as well, though I do not mind fondant and yes, it can create some truly spectacular confections. I would say that is what fondant is best suited for: elaborate events, where the cake is the centerpiece. There really is no reason why a wedding can't have both, a fondant "work of art", and a delicious buttercream cake. It comes down to preference and monetary/time resources.

WinterWanderer

Gross! I'm not really into overly sweet cake toppings. Fondant and buttercream icing are too sweet for me. They take away from the subtle flavors of the cake. They look pretty, though.

If the fondant is not super thick a little is okay but buttercream is superior imo

Grumpy Alien

I like fondant and it looks nice. I'm not terribly fussy about cake.

SamwiseLovesLife

It's icky and too sugary

I like fruit/carrot/ginger/banana cake :P

I can handle a little bit of fondant but I would just rather have a tub of buttercream frosting :P 

The texture's too thick, the taste is too artificial, the chemicals in the colouring concern me, and it's reasonably bland. 

Mezzo Forte

Not really a fondant fan. Whipped cream icing is my favorite, but I'll still enjoy buttercream too.

I will feel sick or even physically vomiting when I eat anything with/look like fondant. 

The fake sweetness and the poison looking artificial colouring...

cavalier080854

I have just been diagnosed with Diabetes. I love fondant and cupcakes. Alas, it has to fade into history now. Bummer.:angry:

I'm a big fan of icing in all it's forms, though fondant is not at the top of the list (I have been known to make buttercream for the sole purpose of eating it with a spoon). And when I do have fondant icing, I prefer to remove it from the cake and eat it separately.

Give me all the fondant! And the buttercream frosting! I love cake, but the icing is by far the best part for me.

Glorious Porpoise

Fondant is alright, but I don't like too much of it. Also I once tried to put fondant icing onto a cake and I couldn't do it without leaving any folds or rips so I'm in awe whenever a cake has a perfect layer of fondant. Personally I prefer buttercream for the texture and flavour and I like attempting to pipe.

Hermit Advocate

It looks pretty but tastes chewy, so no.

I'm not sure if I've ever had it, but given that I can't stand marshmallows, it seems there's an excellent chance I would also dislike fondant. I don't like frosting that just tastes sugary in any case; I'd rather it had some other flavour.

• 1 month later...

NO!!!!! Fondant is thick and chewy and flavorless. It looks pretty, but is basically inedible as far as I am concerned. 

• 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

is fondant that icing made of sugar?

if so, then I hate it with a burning passion. :P

• 2 weeks later...
cavalier080854

How about "Fry's Chocolate Cream" A chocolate bar with a fondant centre.

Salted Karamel

I'm not a fan of the taste of fondant, but I've seen some truly beautiful cakes decorated with it, and I would never begrudge a cake for prioritizing form over function if it pays off. The taste is a small sacrifice to make for art.

Archived