Asexuals at pride

Greenstar55

Greenstar55

so, im planning on going to the pride near me with some friends but i dont know if i should go as myself ( an asexual) or just go as an ally. im gonna go either way but i dont know how accepting the lgbt+ community is of aces, as what ive seen online really worrys me. so what im asking is what is everyones experiences at pride?

divided_sky

What do you mean going as an asexual? It's not as if you can turn it off. No matter where I go, I go as an asexual. I'm going to be at the Chicago one tomorrow, although I don't consider myself part of the LGBT community at all. I suppose I just don't understand what the difference is. Go, be you, enjoy it. It's not a costume that you have put on as an ally instead of an asexual. Why can't you be both? I'm not ever going to make an effort to be accepted in the community, so I don't care if they accept me there or not. It's not my place, as far as I'm concerned. 

Not all aces identify as LGBTQ, but if you, as an asexual individual, identify as part of the LGBTQIA+ community, then Pride is for you. In my experience, the community is very accepting of ace people, but I can only speak from my own experience (my uni campus, Pride events and queer organizations in my area, Internet spaces like Tumblr and Twitter, LGBTQIA+ leadership camp). My advice would be to go and be you and have fun (but be safe)! If anyone gives you shit for being ace at Pride, they're an asshole and in the minority.

Pride is definitely for aces.

However that isn't to say that some folx don't think so. It's not likely you'll run into ace-phobic pricks, but it's a possibility. As long as you go with some friends you should be fine.

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

I'm going to maybe meet a few more biro aces,if there's a good NB representation too I'll go chat with them but I'll probably find one person to latch onto for the entire day if I'm being honest -_- problems of not being very social.

Hi there! I'm the current Editor in Chief of AVENues and for next months edition, we're doing a feature on Asexual Pride! 

If anybody is able to PM me your pride stories, opinions on whether Asexuals have a place at Pride or even why Pride is important to you, your stories will appear in the next edition. 

I need these ASAP though, so if anybody is able to help I'd greatly appreciate it!

As a side note, WP2012 is what led me on my Asexual journey and I'm very happy I went.

Going with friends should make people less likely to harass you- that being said, I doubt that's likely to happen at all, considering Pride's main theme is acceptance of everyone! You could go as an asexual and an ally of others.

Besides, online LGBT+ portrayal isn't always reflective of real life. People are more likely to be critical and cruel when their identities aren't revealed, so I wouldn't worry too much about what you see on the web.

Spoiler

I'm planning to go to pride with another ace and several pans in August! :D

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I think Prides are a great way to raise awareness of asexuality, I remember at my frst pride last year we were coming to a corner in the parade and the radio presenter from gaydio said 'here come the aces! we love you guys! Hope to see more of you next year' and it was truly fabulous.

I went with the asexual flag colors painted on my toes. A subtle way to make my stand. I also went as a supporter of everyone! I saw someone with the asexuality triangle painted on his face so that was cool! I was kind of curiously looking around for tell signs of asexual people showing pride, but couldn't spot a lot of it, but I mean there were a lot of people packed in there!

I plan on going to my first pride this year (I kinda always missed it so far). There's one that is very known if not the biggest one in my country, but idk whether I'm up for going there alone (don't have anyone to go with and I tend to get a bit anxious when I'm alone with such an amount of people), so I was thinking about definitely going to the one in my city a month later. But yeah, what's it like? Do people like... talk to you (because people say stuff like "I'm here for...")? I have absolutely no clue, honestly.

4 hours ago, mania said:

I plan on going to my first pride this year (I kinda always missed it so far). There's one that is very known if not the biggest one in my country, but idk whether I'm up for going there alone (don't have anyone to go with and I tend to get a bit anxious when I'm alone with such an amount of people), so I was thinking about definitely going to the one in my city a month later. But yeah, what's it like? Do people like... talk to you (because people say stuff like "I'm here for...")? I have absolutely no clue, honestly.

From my experience at the Chicago pride parade, I had mixed feelings. I was brought to happy tears because of many emotions and strength when I saw some of the pride parade floats fighting for equality and unity. For the most part the crowd is very drunk and many are more than half naked in fun, interesting, quite revealing outfits. I've found people in the crowd are more willing to talk to you and say things like you're beautiful or give compliments!  I went alone and enjoyed myself, however, I am an extrovert so I don't mind being around a lot of people. There were people woot wooing and dancing all around me and clapping to music from the floats, but I was kind of having my own quiet celebration and smiling the whole time. I suggest finding your own little space amongst the crowd where you have a good view and aren't smashed in between people. On the other hand there was trash everywhere, which made me sad. It got cleaned up afterwards, but I don't know if it was because people were drunk or didn't care, but people threw all their trash on the ground everywhere which dampened the experience a bit for me. Also, I wondered if some people were just there to use the parade as an excuse to party and how many were there to actually celebrate the LGBTQ community. Either way I guess, it doesn't really matter because I could feel the energy of the support of happy people there. Give it a try. You can always leave if you want to.

You should figure out which school of thought you subscribe to before you choose how you’re going to interact with fellow pride-goers.

There are 2 schools of thought that I’m aware of:

1)      There are those who feel that asexuality is still a sexual identity and therefore belongs in the LGBT+ group.

2)      There are those who feel that since asexuality is lack of a sexual identity, they do not belong in the LGBT+ group.

I am in the 2nd camp. I just think that asexuality is its own thing with enough sub-branches within it that we don’t need to be part of the LGBT+ group. Plus, what we experience tends to be vastly different. We deal with erasure but not the same way. An ace might get told “lol asexuality isn’t a real thing,” while a trans person might get told “trangenders aren’t real people.” I think that is something to think about and understand why there is a lot of pushback on making the “A” in “LGBTQA+” mean asexual.

If you believe in the first school of thought and can back it up, then go to the pride parade decked in purple and gray! :) If you’re like me, go wear whatever colors you like, say you’re an ally, and you happen to be ace to boot. I’m sure you’re going to have a great time anyway. I’ve only been to a few pride parades and never dealt with internal problems.

4 hours ago, st0dad said:

If you believe in the first school of thought and can back it up, then go to the pride parade decked in purple and gray! :) If you’re like me, go wear whatever colors you like, say you’re an ally, and you happen to be ace to boot. I’m sure you’re going to have a great time anyway. I’ve only been to a few pride parades and never dealt with internal problems.

Actually, I wouldn't go so much because of being ace (since I still don't quite know, it's a long story. But if I am in some way sexual in the end, I'd be pan, so...), but as for now, being agender. I guess that faces similar problems maybe, but uh... it's 'easier' because the T is already there if you get what I'm saying? 

Also, thanks @GLRDT, that's one thing I always tell myself: I can just leave.

fatal flower-boy

I went yesterday, and it was amazing. I saw all kinds of flags there and yes, even asexual flags ;D To be honest, there was so much love and acceptance there that I feel like no one cared what you identified as. They just accepted you. It was just really.... chill. 8)

I also agree with another person about people who say these things online. The internet isn't a place to be if you're going to take everything at heart or believe it. I feel like there's more hate online than irl. 

LemonTheDestroyer
On 6/24/2017 at 11:59 AM, Ciri said:

Hi there! I'm the current Editor in Chief of AVENues and for next months edition, we're doing a feature on Asexual Pride! 

If anybody is able to PM me your pride stories, opinions on whether Asexuals have a place at Pride or even why Pride is important to you, your stories will appear in the next edition. 

I need these ASAP though, so if anybody is able to help I'd greatly appreciate it!

As a side note, WP2012 is what led me on my Asexual journey and I'm very happy I went.

Pride this last weekend is what helped me discover who I really am! I think Pride is my new favorite holiday lol

Archived