Non-Binary Legislation

Just Me!

I'm hoping to debate non-binary state recognition soon, and the legislation surrounding it in the UK- areas of focus being the right to identify as "Other" (rather than M/F) on official documentation (such as passports), and the right to the prefix "Mx" as opposed to Mr/Ms. 

In order to gain the best possible chance of support, it would be extremely helpful if anyone could respond to some of the following questions...

- What official documentation only recognises binary genders? (Licenses, et cetera?)

- Is "Other" an appropriate option to have in addition to M/F binary options?

- What strong arguments are there for non-binary recognition in such circumstances?

- Is "Mx" an abbreviated version of "Mixter"? (Also, what other gender-neutral prefixes experience widespread use?)

- How many non-binary people are there in the UK (with sources)? (Any other demographic information is welcome too)

- In places with non-binary recognition (Oregon, California, Australia, et cetera), what led to it coming into place? How can the positive impact be measured?

If there's anything else anyone has to say about the state of non-binary legislation, do tell.

Thank you in advance!

That's a really interesting article; thank you! I might argue for removing mention of gender (or allowing people to opt for this) instead, now.

I watched a presentation at a conference this week about the province of Ontario (where I'm not from, but next to) adding an X option to provincial documentation like driver's licenses and health cards.

I think it's better to descibe it simply as X or "third option" instead of "other" because people using it might still identify as male or female, but they don't want that listed on their ID for whatever reason.

A third option is important for nonbinary people, and also people in the process of transitioning who don't want to be misidentified because of one letter on their ID. I know in multiple provinces here there are changes made or in the process to make it easier for someone to legally change their sex, so at least in those cases ID with only binary gender/sex options can reduce misidentification, misgendering, and discrimination.

I don't reallt pronounce it as Mixter - more like Mix - but I did recently post something here about wanting to use it despite being a cis woman. I think it shoukd be made available when such titles are common/necessary. I generally prefer none at all, but I really can't stand Miss or Mrs, and Ms is starting to wear down on me.

Regarding what brought legislation into place, it starts with activism and awareness. I think in Canada the general movement to better understand, restore, and empower indigenous cultures helped. More examination was made regarding what colonialism erased in our country, and how we can bring that back so the heritage of indigenous peoples can be restored. One of those is the Two-Spirited gender. That has made this relevant to more than one social movements, and so it's getting more attention. I'm not sure how it can be measured, aside from surveys of the general population to see its prevalence, and more focused studies on how the lives of people who use the X option, or people who identify as trans/nonbinary/Mx/etc have changed.

Archived