Mobile Phones  

161 members have voted

1. 1. So, what do you own in electronic goods

• Desktop computer
    • Laptop
    • Tablet
    • 1 Smart Phone
    • 1 Other mobile Phone
    • More than 1 mobile/smart phone (that are in use)
    • Home Landline
    • Don't own any of these
  2. 2. How old is your current phone

• 0 - 3 months old
    • 4 - 6 months old
    • 7 - 12 months old
    • 1 - 2 years old
    • 2 - 3 years old
    • 3 - 4 years old
    • 4 - 5 years old
    • 5 - 10 years old
    • Over 10 years old
    • Do not have a mobile phone
  3. 3. Barring circumstances outside your control (accidents, water damage), how often do you replace your phone

• less than every 6 months
    • 7 - 11 months
    • yearly
    • in 2 year periods
    • in 3 year periods
    • in 4 year periods
    • in 5 year periods
    • more than 5 years
    • Do not have mobile phone
  4. 4. What age did you get your first mobile phone

• under 13 years old
    • 13 - 15 years old
    • 16 - 17 years old
    • 18 - 20 years old
    • in your 20s
    • in your 30s
    • in your 40s
    • in your 50s
    • in your 60s
    • in your 70s
    • over 80 years old
    • Don't have a mobile phone
  5. 5. For US based users, what was the cost (or estimate market price if on monthly contract that phone is on)?

• 0 - 99 US Dollars
    • 100 - 199 US Dollars
    • 200 - 299 US Dollars
    • 300 - 399 US Dollars
    • 400 - 499 US Dollars
    • 500 - 599 US Dollars
    • 600 - 699 US Dollars
    • 700 - 799 US Dollars
    • 800 - 899 US Dollars
    • 900 - 999 US Dollars
    • Over 1,000 US Dollars
    • Don't know, work/parents bought it
    • Not an American based user
    • Prefer not to say
  6. 6. For Euro currency based users, what was the cost (or estimate market price if on monthly contract that phone is on)?

• 0 - 99 Euro
    • 100 - 199 Euro
    • 200 - 299 Euro
    • 300 - 399 Euro
    • 400 - 499 Euro
    • 500 - 599 Euro
    • 600 - 699 Euro
    • 700 - 799 Euro
    • 800 - 899 Euro
    • 900 - 999 Euro
    • Over 1,000 Euro
    • Not a Euro Currency based User
    • prefer not to say
  7. 7. For British based users, what was the cost (or estimate market price if on monthly contract that phone is on)?

• 0 - 99 GB Pound
    • 100 - 199 GB Pound
    • 200 - 299 GB Pound
    • 300 - 399 GB Pound
    • 400 - 499 GB Pound
    • 500 - 599 GB Pound
    • 600 - 699 GB Pound
    • 700 - 799 GB Pound
    • 800 - 899 GB Pound
    • 900 - 999 GB Pound
    • Over 1,000 GB Pound
    • Not a British based user
    • prefer not to say
  8. 8. For Canadian based users, what was the cost (or estimate market price if on monthly contract that phone is on)?

• 0 - 99 Canadian Dollars
    • 100 - 199 Canadian Dollars
    • 200 - 299 Canadian Dollars
    • 300 - 399 Canadian Dollars
    • 400 - 499 Canadian Dollars
    • 500 - 599 Canadian Dollars
    • 600 - 699 Canadian Dollars
    • 700 - 799 Canadian Dollars
    • 800 - 899 Canadian Dollars
    • 900 - 999 CanadianDollars
    • Over 1,000 Canadian Dollars
    • Not a Canadian based user
    • prefer not to say
  9. 9. For members based outside of USA, Canada, Britain and Eurozone, what was the cost (or estimate market price if on monthly contract that phone is on) in US Dollars estimate?

• 0 - 99 US Dollars estimate
    • 100 - 199 US Dollars estimate
    • 200 - 299 US Dollars estimate
    • 300 - 399 US Dollars estimate
    • 400 - 499 US Dollars estimate
    • 500 - 599 US Dollars estimate
    • 600 - 699 US Dollars estimate
    • 700 - 799 US Dollars estimate
    • 800 - 899 US Dollars estimate
    • 900 - 999 US Dollars estimate
    • Over 1,000 US Dollars estimate
    • British, American, Eurozone and Canadian based member
    • Prefer not to say

This poll is closed to new votes

I hope this works on smart phones ;)

anyway this just came up in work that a colleague of mine was annoyed.

I am aware of the fall out in numbering, in that when you delete a question, it takes away the number from the poll. this is a software glitch

1) I have a laptop and a smart phone

2) my current phone is 2 years old

3) I hope to replace it every 3 years. that is the average for me. I did have to replace my previous phone early due to water damage (was out cycling, the clouds opened up and the phone was ruined)

4) I got my first phone in January or February 2000 so I'd been 15. They were just becoming popularised them. I've mentioned before about we only got our first landline at home in 1995 or 1996 so technology changes were big in that time. In a 5 year period, we went from having to go to our grandparents to make phone calls (they lived next door at the time. ) and then all of a sudden, we have our own pocket phone

the cost of smart phone was €90. I think with the fact that the other got damaged with rain, it is a good idea to not spent a whole lot on mobile phones.

although this phone has withstood a 70kg person falling on it at speed and came out fine last year

1. Desktop, laptop, smartphone (a now-motherboard burnt-out LG G3 in need of fixing), another phone (telco-locked Blackberry Curve 8520 that i'm currently re-using for the time being), home landline that's mandatory included on our fiber Internet subscription

2. BlackBerry's more than 7 years old. LG's going 3 years next month.

3. Answered 4-year period (based on how I moved from the Curve to the G3), but it's actually if the phone isn't repairable anymore.

4. I was sixteen and starting college at that time I had a secondhand Samsung C100 running on Smart. Then in 2009, despite another secondhand, I was using a Samsung E100 running on Globe up until I got the BlackBerry before the end of the year.

10. I answered over USD 1,000 since I'm basing it on the current amount of the freeline iPhone 7 retailed here. The lowest-priced phones are at the USD 0-99 estimate.

UPDATE: I'm a complete nut for not understanding the questions in numbers 5-10. As of today (June 28), the G3 costs at an estimate of USD 715 (based on the initial market SRP when it came out in 2014 which was PHP 35,990)

I have a laptop and a smart phone, my phone is about 2 and half years old and my laptop is... older... not sure how old though :P

I tend to replace my phone when my current one breaks... 

I got my first cellphone at 11, when I moved to another country from where my parents were living to go to boarding school... 

1) Laptop, smartphone (and an ipod touch)

2) Just over a year old - bought when I moved to Japan, as getting a Japanese sim card to work in foreign phones (especially those, as mine was, over 3 years old) is a pain

3) Once it starts to become unusable due to age :lol: (though I plan to move back to the UK in April, so probably sooner this time)

4) Got it for my 11th birthday - a Nokia 1100 (it had Snake 2!)

10) Phone was free on the contract, but I think to buy straight up, it's in the 200 - 299 range

1. So, what do you own in electronic goods

2 Desktop computers
1 Netbook
1 Smartphone
Also plenty other stuff that obviously doesn’t matter for this poll such as gaming consoles, two surround sound systems and so on... 

2. How old is your current phone

2 ½ years I think.

3. Barring circumstances outside your control (accidents, water damage), how often do you replace your phone

I wouldn’t ever spend any of my money on buying a new  mobile phone if those bloody things wouldn’t quit service short after the warranty period ends every time.
I only replace it if I have to, meaning when the old one doesn’t work anymore. If it were on me I would still have the first mobile phone I ever got because I couldn’t care less about phones.
Unfortunately I already owned three different mobile phones in my lifetime so far because those productions are garbage and they produce them that way intentionally so that I have to spend my money on new garbage after three to four years or so…. I understand why they do it but fuck them regardless!

4. What age did you get your first mobile phone

I think I was twelve. It was a Yule present from my parents that much I know for sure.

6. For Euro currency based users, what was the cost (or estimate market price if on monthly contract that phone is on)?

For the smartphone I own now I paid 189€ (which are 369,65DM by the way.... I really love doing that, bear with me  x'D) , way too much money for this shit.
The one I had before was 128€, still too much.

slothdetective

1) A laptop and a smart phone

2) Current phone (LG L90) is around 2 years old

3) I replace it when it breaks... So far each phone has lasted for 2-3 years

4) I got my first phone when I was 7 (in 2003). An old Nokia 3310, which the dog chewed up and it broke. After that I got a same phone but with a blue dolphin skin, it was cool

6) My current phone cost 149€

SpaceDustbin

1. Desktop pc, too many laptops, smartphone, backup smartphone, ancient nokia

2. Current phone is 2-ish years old. I dropped my previous phone in the toilet (as you do...), so had to prematurely replace it, only for the first phone to start fully working again after 1 month, when I had already replaced it, sooo... that one could've made the 4 year mark.

3. 2-4 years? it really depends. If the software is still running properly and the battery is still ok I see no reason to replace a phone after 1 or 2 years. My most trusty phone was a beautiful little samsung which I've used for 6/7 years. Look at it! :P

samsung-sgh-x495-1.jpg

4. I was 12. But I only got a phone because I had to cycle to school for 12 km, and about 9 km was virtually in the middle of nowhere. So it was more of an emergency phone in case of leak tires and such :lol: (I don't think my phone could even send text messages... just ring. Good old 2001)

5. My current phone cost me 170 euros I think... something along those lines. Could've gotten a cheaper one, but I needed a dual-sim for my Dutch and Danish simcard (as to avoid having to carry 2 phones around :lol: ).

That said, Motorola does some really good and cheap smartphones, that you can drop on the ground whenever you want, without it leaving a scratch. Beat that, iPhone! :P

@SpaceDustbin

THose clamshell phones have always appealed to me, but I've never owned one. How about the opening mechnism? Does it work well? Also, thanks to my current phone I got used to QWERTY keyboard, so the phone you mention would be a problem.

I got my first phone at... 24? I tended to be the only person without a mobile phone among my peers.

I've only used classic phones so far as smartphones don't appeal to me.

My current phone is only my 4th one and is 2.5 years old. I'm not going to replace it when my current contract with the provider expires.

darkstreamers252

I must be weird, I got my first phone at 16 and I find it to be a ridiculous accessory compared to nearly everyone in my generation.

ChillaKilla

1. Family has a desktop (so I counted it), iPad 1st Generation and an iPhone 6s+

2. Current one I've had since late May. It was seriously time for an upgrade- I had a 5c that was fully functional, except it only had 8GB of storage, and 2/3 was taken up by the operating system *shudders* The current iteration of Chilla's phone is a gold 6s+, certified pre-owned with 64 delicious gigabytes of storage :P:wub:

4. First phone was an LG Extravert, a touch screen/QWERTY hybrid (loved the slide-out feature, not gonna lie) with only talk and text. It's all that little 8th grade me needed :P 

5. The cost of the current one was 550, I think? I used a lot of my graduation money on it.

@ChillaKilla

A a touch screen/QWERTY hybrid? That would be in interesting option to consider. I don't like touchscreens, but as I mentioned before, I enjoy using the physical QWERTY.

ChillaKilla
Just now, Piotrek said:

@ChillaKilla

A a touch screen/QWERTY hybrid? That would be in interesting option to consider. I don't like touchscreens, but as I mentioned before, I enjoy using the physical QWERTY.

Yep. When the keyboard was away you could use the T9 on the touchscreen, or you can slide it out. I loved sliding it out, though, because it sounded really snappy and the keys were much more fun to press than the screen :P 

I wonder how many affordable hybrid phones like this there are on the market today. I only know of Blackberrry's and I have no idea what their prices may be. Also, was the sliding mechanish sturdy/reliable? I would't want to end up with a two-piece phone :D

I have a phone, desktop, and laptops.

My first phone I got, was my mom's old flip phone when I was 18. I only got a new one when I bought one myself after the phone broke from natural wear (screen hinges cracked). I was 19 then.

The replacement phone was a small flip phone with very limited browser capabilities. Only played MEDI music etc. Had that for a couple of years, but the model was glitchy from bad OS programming. (I still own this phone, and is practically brand new still). Blackberries and proto-smartphones were just on the horizon. I got one of the first app capable phones called a "Zio10000" by Sanyo, when my contract allowed for an upgrade. I had that phone for about 5 years. It was disconnected for 2, but I used it for internet. It became obsolete though. (No longer supported). I then went without a phone for about 2 or so years. Had no use for it, or the funds. I then got a cheap trak phone for work, and used that for a while till it got washed by accident. That was replaced by my current phone I am posting from. An LG Risio that I bought for 50$, and pay 60/month for unlimited everything, but only 10gb/of high speed internet. I get unlimited 3g after the 10 is up.

I paid an around 45-60 for all my phones monthly. I tend to only get the unlimited everything plan. 

Yes, I take amazing care of my electronics. Growing up poor, your learn the real value of things. So I always clean, maintain, and be very careful with them. 

I don't have any set period for replacing my phone so I found that hard to answer.

I got the current phone in early 2014, I'd kind of like a new one but I have anxiety about getting used to new devices so I can hold off for a while because it is still functional and I have a sim only contract.

My current phone is  BP1, which I've had for only a few months. I got it because my old phone's battery failed and the battery would cost as much as a new phone, otherwise I rarely replace my electronics. It was like...80 USD? It has issues since it's a gen1 model (like freezing, and app incompatibilities) however I really like it and it was a good value. Has some seriously tight encryption.

The first phone I got was when I was pretty young don't remember my exact age, and it was a cheap little flip phone.

And I currently have a laptop and one smart phone.

I own an outdated smart phone also an antique one and even older dumb cell phones. Bought the 1st of them about 20 years ago. But: I haven't used anything of that crap for years (to make or receive calls).

I can get an iPhone 6 for 250 Euro next month. - I am not sure if I want to. There are some functions that appeal to me: Lightroom mobile, the Canon remote app. OTOH I'd probably be better off with an Android device. - Apple seems overprotective and very annoying to me.

Upon spending: The darn phone itself seems somewhat affordable. - It is the monthly service provider fee that I am frowning upon, considering what you don't get for that lot of money outside of Ireland. To me mobile Internet access seems breathtakingly expensive, compared to what I am paying for my admittedly not fast DSL. In doubt: Get  a dumb phone and something with a bigger screen to enjoy your Internet (or offline infotainment during cheapskate vacations). Used 10" Netbooks can be had for a song and might be enough to make any place feel like your makeshift home without breaking your spine on the march there.

AwkwardAxolotl

It boggles my mind how much most people are willing to pay for a phone/smart phone. I'd rather have cheap ($10 dollars for the phone itself, and $8/month for more airtime than I need) and pretty much indestructible (my first phone was still working even after getting wet a few times and being stepped on by a horse) over an expensive fragile one with all the bells and whistles.

J. van Deijck

1. So, what do you own in electronic goods:
one desktop computer (about 10 years old, I generally built it myself, now it's ruined and I've given up on repairing it; that's because it got infected with that famous virus that ruins the hard disk, maybe you've heard about it. I still wonder why it affected a random person like me); three laptops (one is old and out of order, one was bought last year, one belongs to my bf); four smartphones (three old ones - one of them broken, and one belongs to my bf), four standard mobile phones (none of them in use).

funny thing, both my laptops are Lenovo and both my favourite smartphones are Samsung Galaxy. I'm strangely attached to both these brands. :lol:

2. How old is your current phone:
it's about 3 or 4 months old. I bought it because I've accidentally broken my previous one. :lol:

3. Barring circumstances outside your control (accidents, water damage), how often do you replace your phone:
as rarely as possible. usually it's once every two years because my contract deal says they're supposed to offer me a new phone in that time period. that's why I have a collection of still working phones that are no longer in use :P

4. What age did you get your first mobile phone:
I was 15. I guess my parents thought I was going to go to the parties.

10. For members based outside of USA, Canada, Britain and Eurozone, what was the cost (or estimate market price if on monthly contract that phone is on) in US Dollars estimate?
I pay about 60 PLN every month, so in US dollars, it's about $15, depending on current exchange values.

RoseGoesToYale

The next phone I get will be the dumbest, cheapest thing I can find. I text about three people, one of whom calls more than texts, and I use about two apps, so a smartphone is overkill. I still have the LG Dlite I used in high school, it would just be a matter of convincing the phone company to sell me an SD card that fits it.

At home, I a laptop and a smartphone that are mine.

I'm not sure when I bought the smartphone, only know it was as a Christmas present about 3-4 years ago.

Usually my parents need a new phone and they decide to buy a new one for me and use my old one, so it depends on them. I'm a person that rarely breaks anything, so everything lasts very long and it's me that gets tired and wants to change it. This time it's already 3-4 years. My parents also don't like to waste money and I don't gain money yet, so I'm still dependent on them.

My first phone was when I went to 5th grade. Since it was in a different city, but close to the little town I live at.

This smartphone was 79 €, I think. 

1) Desktop, Laptop, Smartphone

2) The model is about 1.5 years old, but I've only had mine for about six months, so I didn't know which to put.

3) I generally only replace my phones when they break, which is technically "Circumstances outside my control" but they seem to last about 3 years or so for me.

4) I got my first phone as a graduation present from elementary school, but I didn't get a smartphone until my senior year of highschool, but it was basically one step up from a feature phone.

5) My current phone cost a little over $200.

Lots of tech, a lot for work use as I'm self-employed 

Desktop, laptop, transformer (midway between a tablet and a laptop), couple of smartphones

My main phone is changed every two years on the contract, currently six months old 

First mobile 1994

Current one retails a £550

WinterWanderer

I use a phone until I break it, which just so happens to be every 3 years or so. (Meaning that the screen is so cracked I can't use it. If there's something wrong with the battery, I'll just replace the battery, not the whole phone.) I have a wireless plan that lets me upgrade my phone every 2 years, so it works out. :P 

I now have a Galaxy S8, and I'm planning on keeping it for several years. *fingers crossed* It's the first phone that I routinely carry in a phone case. It's too expensive to carry without a case. On the upside, the screen is so beautiful that I use it exclusively now. I hardly ever use my laptop, unless I have to do work or something. (Which is good, because my laptop is aging. It needs to last at least another two years.)

My parents were pretty strict growing up. I didn't get a smartphone until I was 16. Didn't get a Facebook account till I turned 18.

1) I own 1 x Desktop, 1 x Laptop, 1 x Tablet, 1 x smart phone that in use (have old ones digging about but not in use) and 1 x micro computer (Raspberry Pi)
2) 1-2 years old (Samsung S7)
3) I answered in 2 year periods - but depends. I work for a mobile phone network so I can get discounted phones (just one that I have to use for a minimum of 6 months before anyone asks for one). If there is a decent deal, I'll get one yearly, but recently the deals have been crap so kept hold of the last few.
4) 13-15 years old (Nokia 6110)
5) Retailed at £500-£599 at time of purchase, but got it for between £300-£400

Grumpy Alien

1. Desktop, tablet, smart phone, landline

2. I think my phone is a little over a year old.

3. I replace my phone roughly every 3 years. I generally only get a new phone when there's something wrong with mine.

4. I had just turned 10 when I got my first cell phone in 2002. It was a small brick and was one of those prepaid plans designed for teens. It was for convenience and peace of mind. It was a lot easier to be independent and still keep my mom and grandmom informed about my whereabouts and negotiate pick up/drop off times.

5. I live in the US but I'm sort of on a work/family/individual plan? It's a bit confusing. As I understand it, I have my own plan on a family network that is partially paid for by my mom's work. So I honestly have no idea what my part of the bill is or how much my phone would cost if I didn't have this plan. It's an iPhone 6s Plus and was the latest iPhone when I bought it. I wasn't eligible for an upgrade but I didn't pay full price. I don't remember the cost. I spent $100-200 total with a few other accessories I think? So somewhere in that range I guess.

I got my first cellphone (a smartphone) at age 17 almost 2 years ago and I still have it. My mom got it for free somehow. I don't intend to buy a new one until this one breaks permanently.

I think it tells a lot about me that i got my first phone in my 18s and now that im 36 im on my second phone which is 11 or so years old with its original battery :) still in use.

I got a very old nokia when I was in my teen years to phone home when at school, but my dad used it more than I did, so I got another one. Idk why but eventually my mom bought me a sony ericsson model with a built in camera and I still have and use it, although it's almost 10 years old. I mostly use it as an alarm clock now and for people who still have that old phone number. About one year ago, when I broke up with my ex I bought an used samsung galaxy s4 with a new number because my old one cannot block numbers or anything like that. Also, I wanted to use instagram and look up train schedules while out. 

I'll use my mobiles until they break, I don't get people who don't. And I wouldn't pay more than a hundred bucks. Both of them are also prepaid (although I won't charge the old one anymore), and I don't have a very high data allowance because I'm mostly on wifi anyway  (and once it's used up the internet speed will be slow, but working and that's enough for me).

I used my laptop for most things, but recently I tend to play games or check my mails on my phone because it's more convenient.

SamwiseLovesLife

Laptop + Smartphone

Archived