Which films make you cry the most

rtlloyd98

On 6/23/2017 at 4:47 PM, Rubyballoon said:

I cried at the end of Bridge to Terabithia but that's probably because Bridge to Terabithia is one of like three books that ever made me cry...

On 6/23/2017 at 8:32 PM, Gloomy said:

Though when I was like 8 I watched Fox and the Hound and cried [remove word I didn't like] during the part where the old lady had to leave the fox in the woods.

Same and same.  Only two movies I ever cried while watching.  So mad that my middle school teacher made us watch Bridge to Terabithia during class.

I rarely cry (I'm dead inside geheHAHA), but the two movies that got me real close was "Toy Story 3" and "Up".

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas made me cry like a waterfall when I had to watch it in order to write a film review about it for class. It was quite emotionally overwhelming.

SamwiseLovesLife

The Help. Every. Damn. Time.

thegreatwolf

(huge spoilers for these)

Big hero 6 : despite loving the film (in fact dare I say it this makes me love it more) it makes me cry or at least feel a little choked when hiro had to let baymax go into the abyss (I know he gets him back by recreating him but still)

Marley and me: this is one I can't watch very often especially when the dog passes away doesn't help when I saw the film in theaters (which was 2008) I had lost my dog I had since childhood that same year

all dogs go to heaven: someone already mentioned this one but the ending got me the most

These are a few I can think of there are more though I can be somewhat emotional at times

I don't cry to the majority of movies however animal movies tend to get me.

All dogs go to heaven, Land Before Time, Fox and the Hound, Frankenweenie (the newer one), and Marley and me are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that can still make me cry. 

Marley and me I've watched only once, it destroyed me.

Spoiler

didn't help that the night after I watched it I went home to hug my own dog and found out he too had cancer and wouldn't last very long. So I basically refuse to watch that movie again. 
Frankenweenie also hit me hard in that regard, but I saw it quite a while after my dog passed away. He's been gone for 6 years now, but dog movies can usually get me to tear up.

List would be way too long.

Saw Wonder Woman past week-end (low quality version on the net somewhere) but damn that one got me hard, a little master piece if you ask for my opinion.

I have to admit When Marnie Was There really touched me on a somewhat personal level and it really made me struggle. I also feel like it was a rather underrated movie just because it was not a Miyazaki – and the animation was beautifully done.

There's also Grave of the Fireflies which was a close one too, but emphasis on close. I don't recommend it if you're easily emotionally affected. Just trust me on that one, it's a different perspective on war.

Generally, some Ghibli movies seem to do it right and hit a soft spot. :lol:

Overall I don't seem to be affected by the majority of movies though.

akanesarumara

Wreck it Ralph used to but not anymore
First few mins of Up SO AGREED
Toy Story 3
Big. Hero. 6. ("Are you satisfied with your care?" That is all.)  

globetrotter85

I cry at least once in pretty much every movie I watch. I can't help it, I'm a natural cryer :redface: Scenes involving mothers dying have always been tear-jerkers (and is the same for many of us probably) but since I lost my own mum I've become so sensitive about it. I watched Captain Fantastic the other night and the scene where he tells his kids their mum's died and they're all crying goot me so bad I had to pause it and walk away for 10 minutes before I could watch any more. I also saw Wild recently and cried through the majority of it... sitting in a 10-bed hostel dorm room at the time :redface:

Dark General

I don't cry very often when it comes to films, but these films made me bawl like crazy:

Grave of the Fireflies

The Color Purple

Schindler's List

Up

My Sister's Keeper

Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

drjohnhwatson
On 6/23/2017 at 5:35 PM, Maou-sama said:

The first few min. of "Up" should have been it's own movie.

Liek if you cri evrytiem

I watched this with...my parents, I think?  I know my mom was there.  I had already seen it, I believe in theater, and we were watching it at home.  My mom stopped it during the beginning of it, turned to me, and said "if the rest of this movie is this sad, I'm not gonna watch it!"  :lol:.  She got really belligerent until I told her it wasn't.

Pan's Labyrinth always makes me weep like a little girl.  I think I can hold it together, then I get to the end, and the music and...ugh.  I lose it every time.  Fox and the Hound is a good sad one as well.

I've only seen it the once, but I cried pretty much all through The Little Prince.  I straight up lost my shit at one point, sobbing, but I was also not in a great spot at the time and it just struck a chord with me.

The Book Thief was sad as well.  I almost couldn't finish the book when I read it (read well before there was a movie); I literally had to set it aside because I was crying too much to keep reading it, whoops.

:lol:.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

I can't even cry anymore. To less emotions.

Used to cry my heart and sould out when watching the final episode of "Wolf's Rain" 14 years ago.

Bambi.

Since my childhood I can't watch that without crying....(which is pretty embarrassing)

It is the only film that makes me cry....books are more likely (though it is still rare) to make me cry

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
1 hour ago, Hinabi said:

Bambi.

Since my childhood I can't watch that without crying....(which is pretty embarrassing)

It is the only film that makes me cry....books are more likely (though it is still rare) to make me cry

It's a lovely story :) Nothing to be embarrased about.

3 hours ago, Deus Ex Zero said:

I can't even cry anymore. To less emotions.

Used to cry my heart and sould out when watching the final episode of "Wolf's Rain" 14 years ago.

Wolf's rain still is one of the saddest anime series I've seen. Not many shows are existentially tragic.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
59 minutes ago, Maou-sama said:

Wolf's rain still is one of the saddest anime series I've seen. Not many shows are existentially tragic.

Exactly. That's why it's still my top favourite!

8 minutes ago, Deus Ex Zero said:

Exactly. That's why it's still my top faveourite!

I actually watched it many times to understand what happended to the world. Youll never notice it on your first couple viewings. But what destroyed everything was a dimension with magic/alchemy collided with a world like our own. The "Nobles" were alchemists who brought their technology and conqured the other world. This caused ripples in time, and distorted reality till it began to "die" because things like magic were incompatible with nature etc. When Kiba opened up the gate, I assumed whoever was nearby was reincarnated into our world. 

Them being wolves that could look like humans was a distortion. 

Sybil - That movie triggered me because it was identical to the shit I had to go through in the past.

Requiem for A Dream - That film honestly bothers me cause I have a fear I'll end up like the old lady.

On 6/24/2017 at 9:28 PM, Perspektiv said:

Lion got me pretty good. Dev Patel is one talented actor. There's a couple scenes towards the end of the movie, that if your eyes don't get moist--you just don't have a heart.

For those not familiar with the movie, its based on a true story of a child in India getting lost at a major train station, when he falls asleep on a stopped train that takes him across India. It follows his ordeal, as a very young child, turning to the streets--then orphanages, to an Australian family that adopts him. Nicole Kidman is also quite good in this movie.

Decades later, goes on a frantic search to find his mother. Hard to watch at times, but a nonetheless great movie.

Yes!  This was a good one.  Well-scripted and very emotional...I was watching through tears.

Boys Don't Cry had me ugly-crying. Part of me always wants to recommend it, and part of me is hesitant because of all the potential triggers. 

5 hours ago, Euna said:

Yes!  This was a good one.  Well-scripted and very emotional...I was watching through tears.

I made the mistake of watching this movie a few weeks after my mother passed away (thinking I'd be okay to watch it). Definitely a bad idea, but glad I watched it alone, haha.

Greenbeard

The ones that spring immediately to mind are:-

The Green Mile - Need I say why? It's the sheer tragedy of it: the whole 'gentle giant' thing and the injustice that takes place. Then, of course, there's that business with the mouse...

Silent Running - The script is complete nonsense, but this early seventies sci-fi offering is made eminently watchable thanks to the touching way star Bruce Dern's character (a monkish but murderously impassioned environmentalist) interacts with the three cute little maintenance robots (named Huey, Dewey and Louie) in his employ - only one of which will survive the events of the movie intact!

Fly Away Home - Based on a true story, this is the tale of a father and daughter living in Ontario, Canada, who (with the aid of a microlight aircraft) try to teach a family of orphaned geese how to fly.

The Railway Children - It's the end that gets me (every time!), at the railway station as the train pulls out, when - as the steam clouds clear away - Bobbie (Jenny Agutter) sees her missing father standing at the end of the platform, and she runs to him crying "Daddy! Daddy!"

Escape from the Planet of the Apes - Again, it's the end that does it: when nasty Dr. Hasslein guns the chimps down, baby and all! Devastating!

Oh, and, erm... The Lake House, an absolutely preposterous romance in which Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves correspond with each other through time via (I'm guessing) a magic mailbox. (:blush:)   

Documentaries that shed light on injustices and oppression yet offer no solutions. Those make me cry and leave me exhausted.

Also documentaries about animal abuse... Admittedly I haven't watched them in a long time, but when I did, I couldn't stop crying and ended up on the floor, curled up and not approachable for a few hours. (I'm still not sure why people recommended me to watch them after I'd already been vegan for half a year)

As for actual films, it doesn't happen often:

The ending of Tomboy (2011)

Oldboy

more I don't remember

Digs_Dead_People

"Logan" tore my heart out of my chest and stamped it into the ground.  I'm still heartbroken over that ending.  Other than that movie, I generally only cry for sad scenes so films like "Wonder Woman" and "Captain America" make me bawl.  "Big Hero 6" also killed me and so did the ending of "Beauty and the Beast".

18 hours ago, Greenbeard said:

The Railway Children - It's the end that gets me (every time!), at the railway station as the train pulls out, when - as the steam clouds clear away - Bobbie (Jenny Agutter) sees her missing father standing at the end of the platform, and she runs to him crying "Daddy! Daddy!"     

Love this movie!  Time to rewatch, I haven't seen it in years.

Watched a dog's purpose at the theatre with my friends and we all look at each others crying like Wait why is it sad again ? Il haven't had time to stop crying from the previous sad scene :P

I cry as soon as a character is crying ... Like the croods (my godfather is still making fun of me for that one )

• 4 weeks later...
TheNerdyOne

I don't cry a whole lot, but I cry watching Inside Out. Every flippin' time. Hell, the second time I watched it, I was already tearing up at the opening credits.

I cried at Wonder Woman too. No, no, no, not because it was a superhero movie with a woman as the lead. I've already had to deal with one (sexist) asshole who assumed that. It was because of the movie's story and themes of humanity. Seeing Wonder Woman fight against everything that Ares represented and then seeing all the surviving soldiers emerging relieved and happy from the rubble did it for me. The No Man's Land scene got me pretty close.

For some reason, I always cry at Frigga's death scene in Thor: The Dark World. It's stupid. We didn't even get to know her character much and every time I see that scene, my vision gets blurry, my throat gets tight, and then I'm a complete mess.

YES! TheNerdyOne, you keep beating me to it. 

Movies that have made me cry

- Inside Out

- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (Snape. Jesus.)

- The Perks of Being A Wallflower

But sometimes I get "emotional stomach aches" which is something I made up, which is sometimes worse and more powerful than crying. Sometimes a movie gets so emotional I just freeze and I have to stop and process what I just watched. And it hurts! Toy Story 2 does that for me every time.

Archived