New here. Late 30's just finding the label ace

Willgracefan

Willgracefan

Throughout my life I've been yo-yoing with my weight. I have never dated and I always assumed this was because of my weight. I was always the fat friend that liked to talk about baseball. From an early age I knew I was straight, I found boys physically attractive but I never grew close enough to a boy to get anywhere. In college I kissed a few boys but didn't really enjoy it because I was afraid things would go father. 

I'm now in my mid 30's and I just happened to find YouTube video's where people have come out as asexual and it totally struck a chord with me. Everything they were feeling, was exactly me. I now feel like I may be asexual but I'm afraid to come out because my friends and family are just going to think I'm using this label as an excuse for why I'm alone in my 30's.  

Im frankly just happy to know I'm not alone and have a reason for why I'm ok with my life as it is but I still have a strong urge to tell my loved ones my new found sexual orientation. 

globetrotter85

You don't need an "excuse" to be single, at any age! Anyone asks me why I'm single I say my horses take up all my free time and I'd rather be with them than with a partner!

Welcome to AVEN! :cake: Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm glad you joined. : ) I'm sure you'll find a lot of awesome and supportive people that can relate to you. For me, I blamed my social anxiety (or my psychiatrist did). But when I found asexuality...it was like omg, this is me! This has been me forever!! So yeah. It can be a pretty great feeling. You're not alone! : ) It's not an "excuse." You're you...and only do what you're comfortable with in terms of coming out. There's no rush, but you'll find a ton of great advice around here! Just take your time exploring. I hope you enjoy being a member!

Now, for some more helpful information about the site, in addition to my welcome (and cake):

Spoiler

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Image result for nice cake

Welcome, Willgracefan!!! I'm Mr. Kieran or Kitty or Cat, so take your pick. I HOPE I'm not late to your welcoming party but please accept this:

d7a83dd8a2d7ecdd8733c42428931687.gif

tumblr_m7j5rrNC6O1qff3f5o1_500.gif

Sara-Senpai💜

I personally thought I was straight the bi then straight. I wasn't afraid of getting close but I felt like I was broken. It interests me that you figured out later in life. There's nothing wrong with that by any means if I hurt your feelings in anyway. Its just strange to me as i found out in middle school ideas ace. Sorry if I've offered you in anyway!:mellow:

awesomazingizzy

Welcome to AVEN! :cake:
I'm relatively new here myself but I can tell you that people around here are super nice.  It's amazing that a platform like this one exists for us to connect and meet other people who understand us better than people in real life might.  :)  I hope everything goes well for you if you do decide to come out.  Just remember that whatever other people say, you're the best one to judge how you're feeling and the greatest expert on you that there can be.

I'm glad that you introduced yourself and I wish you an enjoyable time with us!  :lol:

Archived