Does this happen in real life?

StrangeStory

StrangeStory

Picture the movie scene:

A man and a woman are talking, or even arguing, and then suddenly they pause. They get a serious look on their faces. During their conversation, they may have been getting closer to each other until they look silly (like the cinematographer couldn't work out how to fit them both in the frame). And suddenly... They start kissing, quite violently! And they may not have even liked each other; they may have been clashing since the beginning of the movie, and yet, somehow, it is now time to kiss.

But that's not all: They start pulling clothes off. No manners of course; they don't ask - as I would think one should - if they can remove items of clothing. They just rip. They don't even seem to mind if clothing is damaged. And, coincidentally, they both seem to be fine with this violent behaviour: There's never a scene where the one person starts ripping off clothes and the other says, "Hey, what are you doing? That was expensive and you've just thrown it on the floor!"

This scene often occurs in the workplace; usually an office. Our couple has absolutely no concern for the equipment on the desk - they just bash it off onto the floor. Stationery, lighting, computer and phone equipment... Oh, who cares about that stuff, let's just chuck it on the floor! And often, while they are still standing up and embracing, they crash into shelves or cabinets against the wall, and many things fall; things which are probably not shock proof. I saw a movie where this happened in a laboratory, and these silly people started knocking off lab equipment! That stuff's expensive, but clearly they were out of control, like animals.

This scene is so common in movies, and they make it seem like people magically know when it is time for this behaviour to occur, and also that, once they start, they are unstoppable. (My hand is unstoppable as it reaches for the fast-forward button!)

My question is: Does this happen in real life?

SamwiseLovesLife

No. No it seriously doesn't. Even animals don't do that shit (I mean who even makes up this stuff?)

I've wondered that myself many times. Doesn't seem at all natural, does it? I'll be watching that and thinking, "ooh, ouch! You two are gonna have some really nasty bruises later on from all that crashing into furniture, if you don't slow down. Jeez!" You'd think that would kill the mood, but apparently not in movie world. I don't think that happens IRL. At least, I hope not. Sex is an expensive enough hobby as is without adding in the cost of replacing broken furniture and damaged clothing each and every time, lol. 

I've never heard of anyone experience this. Even just the concept of hate / angry sex is alien to most people I talked with about. :P 

But in movies / TV shows etc., violence is often over-exaggareted as a plot device. 

UK based insurance companies publish collections of funniest correspondence and claims. Collateral damages caused by sexual acts were  a huge portion of the excerpts I read.

Switching from hate to love? - An ex fancied to psycho pressure me out of my comfort zone and tried to patch things in bed a bit later. / Movie plots condense time.

Scottthespy

Some people do enjoy very rough romancing, and would be down for smashing into things, and some people are so into it that they'll disregard clothes and items to a certain extent, shoving them hurriedly out of the way or knocking them over wile not paying attention. The 'hate turned to lust' thing is the writers equating one kind of passion to  another, and in many of the movies this happens in, its implied all along that these characters have a sexual tension running between them that they refuse to admit. The reason movies never have one side be against the sudden lust is because that wouldn't flow right. Same reason the detective always finds that all important case breaking clue, the lawyer always finds the flaw in the prosecution's story, the idiotic teens always split up to look for the killer. Its fiction, written to go smoothly and appealingly.

6 hours ago, SamwiseLovesLife said:

No. No it seriously doesn't. Even animals don't do that shit (I mean who even makes up this stuff?)

Romance writers. To them these types of actions are bread and butter.

If someone suddenly tried to invade my personal space like that, they'd get reflexively knocked the **** out. And don't even think of ripping my clothes off. Clothes are expensive these days ☹️ so no one better try to tear them off me 😠. Like why does an average everyday pair of shorts cost like 40-60+ bucks? Heck, some t-shirts are even kinda pricey.

Janus the Fox

Depends how ferocious both peoples sexual appetites are, it'll never happen in any normal sense unless in such an intense sexual attractions, libido and sexual appetite.  Stuff of his nature could happen anywhere as an opportunity may arise for, if and only if you wish to believe often exaggerated first hand accounts or sexual story gossip on or off the internet.

RoseGoesToYale

These scenes always make no sense to me. Most people I've known when they're angry or at odds with someone, sex is the last thing on their mind. Plus, if people really did the crash-into-everything thing in real life, they'd probably be fired, sued, convicted of vandalism, or worse. I guess it's a plot device to get more people into the theaters.

It does happen, but definitely not as often (and not to the level of intensity) as media would have you believe.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I guess the movies aren't real then, especially as they can take a 'true story' and warp it out of all recognition, and that's before we even get to talking about sex....

• 3 months later...

This is an old threat, I know, but there's one similar thing that happened at a company I worked at. It was a hospital and one surgeon, well, had consented sex during work hours with several nurses. Everyone found out when there was an emergency and he didn't show up (doing you know what). That got him fired. 

Personally, the moral abuse of that story disgusts me the most. Imagine you were a patient in need to have surgery, but welp! Sorry! He's busy fucking in the middle of work! Disgusting behavior.  

Archived