Anyone else in an un-accepting environment and afraid to come out?

LiaWolf

honestly, at this point, i don't even know what to do. my parents are strong Christians, and i've been raised the same; i came to terms with my asexuality fairly easily once i realized i wasn't just broken, but i've since realized i'm more than likely biromantic and i think i'm starting to develop a crush on one of my best (female) friends. i've been raised to view [not-straight] as wrong, and while i don't hold that worldview against others, for some reason i struggle to apply that to myself--and i feel like i have to be completely different around everyone but especially at home, as i know my parents would in all probability kick me out if they knew. i feel like i'm two different people: perfectly normal, straight white girl around everyone who knows me irl and the biromantic asexual femme that i am online. The latter of the two is how i feel most comfortable, but i'm absolutely terrified to tell anyone

i guess i'm just wondering if anyone has any advice? idk if this is even the right place but...

Yeah, coming out to more traditional and  conservatively-minded parents is tough 😕. I tried to tell my mom who's fairly accepting, but she just treats it as a phase that I'll somehow grow out of, even though I'm a grown 23 year old man who has never shown any interest in men or women (no dates, no sex, no "bad" behavior). My dad is (sort of I guess?) a Christian (he believes in Christ and such but he's not super pious and only started believing fairly recently) and I haven't told him because I'm not so sure how he'll respond. I imagine he'll also treat it as a passing concern.

If hiding your asexuality is REALLY gnawing at you, perhaps you could just bring up the idea of asexuality as a sort of topic of interest without admitting your affiliation with it just to test the waters. You could say you learned about it online, and that it's recognized by the DSM and that it's really interesting. If they have a negative reaction, then you know not to bring it up (unless you want to try to convince them). If they seem accepting, you can choose to reveal yourself, or just let it lie. Just remember it's still a gamble and you aren't obligated to tell anyone (except maybe if you were dating someone).

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

You would think that asexuality is the epitome of Christ's life, as he is always depicted as this sort of non-sexual character.

I also grew up in a very conservative environment and still haven't come out because my parents would either be upset or blow it off as a 'phase'. I don't think you have to come out to people you think would treat you worse because of it. Only come out if you really feel the need to, or to close friends and family you trust and want them to know. You should be true to yourself and be who you want to be.

Archived