Revealing my asexuality in therapy

Tholomyes

I'm currently in both group therapy and individual therapy, and I don't know whether to mention my asexuality in either (or both) context. On one level, I don't think it's all that relevant, since sex isn't a common theme of either therapy session, however occasionally romantic relationships are brought up in both contexts, and it always feels a little weird, since most of the time romantic relationships have the undercurrent of sex or at least sexual attraction, so I don't know whether to have it be a thing that I'm open with or not. I don't think my individual therapist will be acephobic, and I don't know about the group, but I assume most people would be ok with it, but I don't know if it's something that has any value in sharing or if it's just irrelevant or unnecessary.  I recognize that this is sort of vague, and I'd be ok elaborating further, but I don't know what is valuable to know or what is irrelevant. I would appreciate any advice though.

darkstreamers252

I've been to tons of therapy, mentioning it in group context or in individual from my experience has just been an absence of reaction, like "ok so what," if the group members remember (or know what being asexual means) they may be a little cautious around you for a little bit, it's not a bad kind of cautious necessarily.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I think that in the same way gay people have had to step out into the light, we need to be visible too. Obviously, pick safe places, like a therapy group, but probably the more it becomes part of the collective norm, the better.

ChickenPadSeeEew

I'm in this sort of line of work. If it's holding you back from feeling comfortable and an important part of who you are, then I say share it. You could start with your therapist? Work with them on sharing it with the group?

Some therapists/people won't know of asexuality and related identities. That doesn't mean you can't share it. People benefit from learning more. (Not that it's your job to teach them!)

I would say if it isn't important either way then it isn't important either way.

Archived