Anyone else is uncomfortable with the smell of "human breath"?

Hello,

I've seen a lot of people here talking about how they can't stand getting touched by random, or even most, people. for me, it's totally fine. as long as it's in a non-private part of the body, of course.

My issue is the "human breath". in my entire life, i don't remember smelling someone's breath, by accident, and not feeling uncomfortable. i can somewhat "stand it" but it's not comfortable at all. i can tell when someone has a bad breath or just a "normal" or "healthy" breath, both of them makes me uncomfortable. but i can stand the normal breath, though.

i wonder how people make out, or eve kiss each other. to me it seems the problem isn't germs or saliva, unlike the majority of people who dislike kissing, it's the human breath. that's the issue.

I've tried googling something about this, and i literally found nothing. why don't people talk more about that? i mean, i'm sure a lot of people feels the same as me about people's breath, but don't talk about it for some reason. or am i the only one in the world who has this rare, odd issue.. ? who knows.

• Like 3
swirl_of_blue

I can't really imagine anyone liking another person's breath! Of course it is especially bad if the breath is smelly, but even "normal" breath is certainly not pleasing. For me it is not just the smell, but also feeling the air moving and the warmth. But I can't remember it even bothering me while kissing. It is much worse if someone is standing too close behind me or trying to whisper something into my ear, it feels almost as intimate as sexual touch and I hate it.

Janus the Fox

A persons breath from the bf at least is neutral, though we do brush and mouthwash just before meeting for a kiss.  The smell and taste of a persons breath if not neutral is often a major turn off to me, cant be close if the bf haven't brushed, eaten something or even good smells and tastes from chewing gum could make me feel sick.

This sensitivity is either preference or partly due to sensory sensitivity in part being autistic.

• Like 1
Doggomcdoggo
11 minutes ago, swirl_of_blue said:

trying to whisper something into my ear, it feels almost as intimate as sexual touch and I hate it.

Whispering is the worst! And yeah, I just don't likebana how people breaking on me feels, it sets my teeth on edge and makes me feel really weird.  I'm not sure if it's an ace thing, heck I thought everyone was like this about a week ago but turns out ace is different so idk. Ima ask yahoo answerstwhile about this and see what the non aces think ^-^

Lord Jade Cross

*sprays airfreshener into peoples mouths* Away! Away I say humans!

• Like 3

It's definitely weird. It feels like someone is trying to steal the air I'm breathing. It's invading my personal space I actually feel like I'm suffocating if someone is that close to me. Feeling someone's breath on my skin is also very uncomfortable. It's so uncomfortable that I almost start to panic sometimes. The red bells start to play and my brain screams "MOVE, GET OUT OF ME!!! I NEED SPACE! I NEED TO BREATH AND WITH YOU THERE I CAN'T." Retreat, step back. I have to run away from the place to feel better.

• Like 2

I think the "human breath" is one of the biggest flaws of humanity, physique-wise. if not the biggest.

To me, it's even worse than body odor. usually, body odor is a much more simple issue compared to bad breath.

I've also noticed that most people who had issues with breath tend to be completely disgusted by people's breaths. to me it's more about being "uncomfortable".

• Like 1
Anthracite_Impreza

I don't tend to get close enough to peoples' mouths to notice...

• Like 1

I don't get too close to people, but poor hygiene bugs me A LOT. I try really hard to keep myself clean and not smell like crap cause I have a bit of a fixation on cleanliness. If your breath smells like something you ate recently, I don't mind cause you can't really help that. But if it smells like you haven't brushed in a while or something, that's just disgusting. My bro used to have terrible hygiene, and it pissed me off. Nasty smelling breath coupled with that icky humid feeling makes me gag.

Luftschlosseule

Reads as if we shouldn't become a dentist.
For me, it's not the smell, it's just... dunno. Even bevor I knew of bacteria I didn't like it.

Can't say I'm repulsed by breath (apart from the morning breath EWWW :D ) but there is something unpleasant about the warmth of air and kind of staleness of it and minty freshness doesn't cover it up completely.   

Luftschlosseule

After thinking about this, I think that I have a problem with it when it happens without my consent that somebody suddenly comes that close. There's a game in which everybody whispers to the next person a word and the goal is to have the same word at start and end - there I had no problem with it.

Yes, I don't like that and I always think people smell my breath and think its bad! I worry about that a lot.

People in general really make me uncomfortable though. For some reason hearing people peeing really bothers me too. I have to get away.

Elephant303

Oh definitely. I find it disgusting..although I do have OCD and have a slight fear of germs/bodily things. But, yeah, you're not alone!

Island-Of-Dogs

I'm getting flashbacks of my eighth grade math teacher Mr. Mac... man had a very kind heart, but his breath always stank of coffee!