Driving culture doesn't make sense

RoseGoesToYale

6 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Buying a car new, makes no sense to me either.

Especially considering how rapidly they depreciate.

I'd rather get a year or two old vehicle, and get tens of thousands off the sticker price. Buy it outright, and drive it into the ground. I maintain my vehicle meticulously, so can easily get a decade out of one. With the money saved, get another one when it starts costing you more in maintenance, than its worth. Get a reliable car/brand, and you'll be fine.

Quality depends on brand, and more specifically model. Japanese cars, and old af american are the best cars one can own if they are taken care of. Most people don't know how though, or are stupid and neglectful. 

The last car I owned I sold at 285,000 miles. It was a very loved 97' CR-V. I sold it for 300 to a mechanic whom was going to restore the transmission and breaks on it. That was all that was wrong with it.

15 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

... driving is the most fun thing you can do (with or without clothes on)...

Oh no it isn't! Cycling is!  :P

Anthracite_Impreza
6 minutes ago, Ortac said:

Oh no it isn't! Cycling is!  :P

The only thing cyclists are good for is target practice.

57 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

The only thing cyclists are good for is target practice.

That's not funny. Speaking as a sometime target.

Most people don't know how though, or are stupid and neglectful.

A lot of it is common sense. Moving parts eventually wear out.

If you don't have any, you shouldn't be driving.

Kind of like that person that rides their brakes downhill, then wonders why there is premature wear or over heating.

I just never understood our need to fit in to the tune of going hundreds of thousands in debt to achieve it.

I have been hit by two cars. I follow all rules down to the protective gear.

However, an equally high volume of entitled and idiotic cyclists out there.

If I am turning right at an intersection, I should not have to check my side mirror for speeding bikes. I however know to look for them, being a cyclist.

Common sense goes a long way.

I'm not talking about accidents. I'm talking about deliberate targeting. (not necessarily with intent to hit me with the car itself, but to harass and intimidate by hurling insults, eggs, and other non-lethal actions).

32 minutes ago, daveb said:

I'm not talking about accidents. I'm talking about deliberate targeting. (not necessarily with intent to hit me with the car itself, but to harass and intimidate by hurling insults, eggs, and other non-lethal actions).

:o:mad: So wrong.

We have Ghost Bikes all over town marking where cyclists have been killed in traffic. Though Albuquerque has one of the best cycling trails in the country currently, there are still places where riding your bike is a very dangerous prospect.

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

If I am turning right at an intersection, I should not have to check my side mirror for speeding bikes.

Yeah.  Especially since there's a growing number of cyclists in Seattle who claim they shouldn't  have to stop at stoplights or stop signs, because it's inconvenient to stop when you're on a bike.  So they just speed up on your right and power through the intersection.  If you turn right into them, it's your fault.  

If you turn right into them, it's your fault. 

I think this should be seen as natural selection. The tragedy is the motorist who lives with this for the rest of their lives.

2 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

A lot of it is common sense. Moving parts eventually wear out.

If you don't have any, you shouldn't be driving.

Kind of like that person that rides their brakes downhill, then wonders why there is premature wear or over heating.

I just never understood our need to fit in to the tune of going hundreds of thousands in debt to achieve it.

You should not be measureing things annually. You will depress yourself on how much more you spend on things like food, than you do vehicles etc. Both are almost equal for survival for most Americans. Besides, once you pay off your car. Its more or less the same cost of a cell phone.

Anthracite_Impreza
3 hours ago, daveb said:

*shrugs* 50 points per cyclist, they're a good way to boost your hit rate.

As a pedestrian I have a fear of cyclists, I've almost been hit by them too many times and I get scared from just seeing them ride near me

(also I never learned to ride a bike)

You should not be measureing things annually. You will depress yourself on how much more you spend on things like food, than you do vehicles etc.

How else would you budget?

You budget on annual costs. Also, via cumulative costs, accrued over a period of time.

Once you pay off your car, it has little to no value on the market, however if its well maintained--its costing you next to nil to operate it. You're not stuck with monthly costs.

OK, folks. We agree that there is open warfare between cyclists and car drivers. As someone who drives for a living and cycles as a hobby I see both sides of this. The majority of all road users obey reasonable rules, and consider other road users. There are an idiot minority on both sides who treat the rule of the road with contempt. We understand that, and likewise understand that this can be an emotive subject. However can we please remember AVEN ToS when discussing this. Thank you. 

7 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

How else would you budget?

You budget on annual costs. Also, via cumulative costs, accrued over a period of time.

Once you pay off your car, it has little to no value on the market, however if its well maintained--its costing you next to nil to operate it. You're not stuck with monthly costs.

Budget monthly, because unexpected things happen. 

You are kinda making the argument you should not do something because it costs money. 

19 hours ago, Ms. Maya the Bee said:

I drove a go kart once and crashed terribly... I had panic and accidentally pressed down fully on accelerate instead of break... I'm scared of that happening in a car situation as well as many other issues so I don't have any plan to drive...

I did go karts once, I crashed 3 times and that's without taking a corner.

I have a mild disability so there is an effect on my coordination so I can't drive. Cycling, walking, lifts to nearest town and bus are my main ways to get to places.

3 hours ago, Maou-sama said:

You should not be measureing things annually. You will depress yourself on how much more you spend on things like food, than you do vehicles etc.

Food is important. As is housing. I don't see why it should be depressing to look at how much one spends on these things.

Anthracite_Impreza

Who measures how much their car costs? I don't care how much mine cost, I've spent over a thousand just on repairs for Clutch, and a few hundred on Blitz, and that's not counting general upkeep, petrol, tuning etc. I wouldn't track how much I've spent on my snails or dog; they need caring for and that's what they'll get.

My income is like...10k a year so yeah, I'm sticking to freeloading in the family's vehicle and walking.

Don't get me wrong, I love cars but...I ain't got the slightest interest in driving one. There's things I just stay clear of for personal reasons and driving is one of them.

5 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Who measures how much their car costs? I don't care how much mine cost, I've spent over a thousand just on repairs for Clutch, and a few hundred on Blitz, and that's not counting general upkeep, petrol, tuning etc. I wouldn't track how much I've spent on my snails or dog; they need caring for and that's what they'll get.

Personally, I'm very happy to be able to save that money, or spend it on myself.

7 minutes ago, Snao Çoñé said:

Personally, I'm very happy to be able to save that money, or spend it on myself.

It's like people have preferences, and can choose how to live or something. :P

At the end of the day, if someone enjoys doing something/prefers to do something one way. No one has the right to tell them they are dumb, or shouldn't because they don't agree with how that person spends their money. That is the beauty of capitalism.

@Maou-sama did someone say....capitalism? *wrinkles nose*

Anthracite_Impreza

There is no beauty in capitalism, there is beauty in a happy, healthy car though.

Just now, Anthracite_Impreza said:

There is no beauty in capitalism, there is beauty in a happy, healthy car though.

^ This ^

Anthracite_Impreza
7 minutes ago, Maou-sama said:

@Retrobot 

@Anthracite_Impreza

Have you both forgotten, that Capitalism is what made cars cheap and affordable, and a global phenomena?

*cough* And also destroyed the planet and human society *cough*

"affordable"?

Pffft hahaha. Food is barely affordable for me, I can't even save up enough to see my cardiologist.

Anthracite_Impreza
1 minute ago, Retrobot said:

"affordable"?

Pffft hahaha. Food is barely affordable for me, I can't even save up enough to see my cardiologist.

Another excellent point there; the unimaginabley huge wealth gap is directly due to capitalism and 'trickle down' economics (which is of course a load of balls).

1 minute ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Another excellent point there; the unimaginabley huge wealth gap is directly due to capitalism and 'trickle down' economics (which is of course a load of balls).

> and before "BUT THAT'S CORPORATISM NOT CAPITALISM"

Archived