Is there any academic research on aromanticism?

aceidk

I've yet to encounter a publication dedicated to aromanticism. So far, I've only come across the subject discussed in passing in articles dedicated to asexuality. There also doesn't appear to be much available on gray-asexuality and demisexuality.

I have not found much either, Kristen S. Scherrer talks about it in varying levels of detail in two papers I have found, however the focus of those are on asexuality, not aromanticism.

Not quite on aromanticism, but this is a seminal paper supporting and detailing the idea generally referred to as split-attraction model (SAM) in the aro/ace community:

Although  it  is  typically  presumed  that  heterosexual  individuals  only  fall  in  love  with  other-gender partners and gay–lesbian individuals only fall in love with same-gender partners, this is not always so.  The author develops a biobehavioral model of love and desire to explain why. The model specifies that (a) the evolved processes underlying sexual desire and affectional bonding are functionally independent; (b)  the  processes  underlying  affectional  bonding  are  not  intrinsically  oriented  toward  other-gender  or same-gender partners; (c) the biobehavioral links between love and desire are bidirectional, particularly among  women.  These  claims  are  supported  by  social–psychological,  historical,  and  cross-cultural research  on  human  love  and  sexuality  as  well  as  by  evidence  regarding  the  evolved  biobehavioral mechanisms underlying mammalian mating and social bonding.

Diamond, Lisa M. "What does sexual orientation orient? A biobehavioral model distinguishing romantic love and sexual desire." Psychological review 110.1 (2003): 173.
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2017 at 5:53 PM, aceidk said:

I've never seen a scientific paper focused on aromantics--is there such thing?

Kind of pointless to do any research on something like this in my opinion. No one gains money for. It either so I don't why anyone would try. They still don't have a clear idea why some people are gay but does it really matter? If you are not screwing kids or animals who cares what you are into? 

22 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

Kind of pointless to do any research on something like this in my opinion. No one gains money for. It either so I don't why anyone would try. They still don't have a clear idea why some people are gay but does it really matter? If you are not screwing kids or animals who cares what you are into? 

I think there are many social, cultural, psychological, philosophical, and even economic reasons to study romance given that much of the society is built around the idea of (romantic) love. In any case, I'm sure studies on aromanticism will show up eventually.

scarletlatitude

Moving to the romantic and aromantic forum

scarletlatitude

World Watch mod

Archived