My Asexuality Article on Huffington Post

CandidSlice

CandidSlice

A few weeks ago, I'm sure some of you saw the Equinox video that completely erased the Asexual orientation from their viral LGBTQIA+ video. Right out the gate, they begin with "A" is for Ally. 

I'm an Asexual Panromantic. My heart sank. I'm so tired of us being erased. For years, I remember thinking something was "wrong" with me because I had no idea Asexuality existed. My doctors didn't know about Asexuality either. They gave me hormones, therapy, and unnecessary medicine to "fix me." It's critical that people be aware of this orientation. Finding AVEN changed my life.

In response, I wrote an article about this very topic. Over 20,000 people read and shared it across several LGBTQIA+ groups. I submitted it to Buzzfeed, UpWorthy, and Huffington Post. I wanted to combat Equinox's erasure with awareness.

Good news! Buzzfeed and Huffington Post picked up on the story! And Huffington Post is featuring my article on the front page of their Queer Voices section today!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-is-for-asexual-erasing-the-asexual-orientation_us_59454b7be4b024b7e0df4c75?section=us_queer-voices

I'm still hurt that Equinox left us out. But I'm happy I could do something to make a difference. It would mean a lot if you'd go show your support in the comments of the article -- not for me, but for Huffington Post, for going out of their way to help provide awareness for us! 

Thank you! :)

I think it's unfortunate that you feel this way and that exposure takes a hit. But I'm really not surprised given that a large number of ace people don't identify with the LGBTQIA+ community. Sure it makes sense for homoromantic, biromantic, and panromantic aces to feel affiliated, but what about the rest? 

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
On 17.6.2017 at 7:54 PM, CandidSlice said:

A few weeks ago, I'm sure some of you saw the Equinox video that completely erased the Asexual orientation from their viral LGBTQIA+ video. Right out the gate, they begin with "A" is for Ally. 

I'm an Asexual Panromantic. My heart sank. I'm so tired of us being erased. For years, I remember thinking something was "wrong" with me because I had no idea Asexuality existed. My doctors didn't know about Asexuality either. They gave me hormones, therapy, and unnecessary medicine to "fix me." It's critical that people be aware of this orientation. Finding AVEN changed my life.

In response, I wrote an article about this very topic. Over 20,000 people read and shared it across several LGBTQIA+ groups. I submitted it to Buzzfeed, UpWorthy, and Huffington Post. I wanted to combat Equinox's erasure with awareness.

Good news! Buzzfeed and Huffington Post picked up on the story! And Huffington Post is featuring my article on the front page of their Queer Voices section today!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-is-for-asexual-erasing-the-asexual-orientation_us_59454b7be4b024b7e0df4c75?section=us_queer-voices

I'm still hurt that Equinox left us out. But I'm happy I could do something to make a difference. It would mean a lot if you'd go show your support in the comments of the article -- not for me, but for Huffington Post, for going out of their way to help provide awareness for us! 

Thank you! :)

It's fantastic that you made that step and even received some attention for it by public newspapers! You did a very good job on the article and I'm sure that it will support and help a lot of other asexual people like me out there to feel more represented and equal as part of this community. To me, GLBTIQA+ reflects a symbol for connected universal diversity, aside from any straight orientation, so there's no reason to exclude us.

Enne Kristin
2 hours ago, Deus Ex Zero said:

To me, GLBTIQA+ reflects a symbol for connected universal diversity, aside from any straight orientation, so there's no reason to exclude us.

I absolutly agree with Deus Ex Zero

I think it is a good article, making us more visible. Thank you very much :)

Just followed the link and read your piece. Kudos!

I am now 55 years old, and I spent a good deal of my life feeling 'broken' too. The only label given to a woman like me that I knew of during the eighties and nineties (my late adolescence and young womanhood) was frigid. I have posted here about how hurtful and demoralizing that was. I, too, was married -for over a decade- and I did love my husband, but my innate lack of desire for partnered sex eventually ended that union. I though then that I must be a lesbian (sound familiar?) and so I did try that...but no, that wasn't it either. Then, on 2014, I found AVEN and realized what my orientation is (see description under my avatar). It is incredibly important that the rest of the LGBTQIA community understand that, indeed, the "A" needs to be for Asexual. This is something that I am sure our allies would not object to.

Thank you @CandidSlice :) :cake: 

no no na na

Thank you for that. I spent my whole life trying to explain to others how I felt which left me feeling as if something was wrong with me because nobody could relate. Until I found AVEN then I was reading stories written by other people that could have been my stories and for the first time in my 52 years of life I felt a sense of belonging. The difference between feeling broken and feeling like you belong is so important to a person's happiness, I thank you for what you have done. 

Great article. Thank you.

Yes, it's terrible to finally find an identity, only to have it stripped from you. 

It sounds to me as if one can't be part of the LGBTQIA community because many members look down their noses and sniff haughtily, "Well, at least WE HAVE a sexuality!" 

Which is as demeaning and racist/sexist/whateverist as the former(?) general opinion and behavior towards gay people. Many of us (me included) have passed a good part of our lives, as Zendalis said, asking ourselves "what is wrong with me?" or hearing others ask it, and trying to be "fixed". 

Are we supposed to be the "disabled" of the LGBTQIA group? :angry:

Love your article!

so true we are left out if people aren't aware of this orientation like I wasn't up until earlier last year when I heard it on a TV chat show and had to google it to find out what it was, I would of still felt broken and cofused as I had done my whole like. There does need to be more awareness in the world about asexual orientation.

• 2 weeks later...

Thread moved from Announcements to World Watch. 

-kelico, Moderator

Huff Post...  that is great!

Archived