Are Asexuals Human?

Perissodactyla

Perissodactyla

If you identify as asexual, do you also identify as 'human'?

An asexual is mostly alienated by sexuality. So are some asexuals also alienated from being human and perhaps identify differently?

For example, in one's imagination, one could identify as being an extraterrestrial, a clever robot or some other kind of simulation of a human.

Gr1egmm.png

• Like 9

the "human" concept is very abstract. How can someone of the human kind can identify themselves as non human?

How do you define "human"?

For some people to be human is to be able to love. For others is to be able to think, empathise, talk, feel or believe or dream and invent.

So for example, if you believe that love is what makes humans human, you would consider anyone who can't or haven't experienced love as you think it is to be non-human. But that is completly relative to you and your own beliefs.

Now, sexuality doesn't necessarily affect ones perception of the self. And personaly I believe that to be human is to be many things. How much of it you can take off of it until it becomes not human? Sexuality is just a tiny part of your humanity. If you take it off, doesn't mean you stopped being human because there is a little more than just that.

To be able to decide not to be human, is also human.

• Like 7

I don't believe in the binary between human and not human. Whether I'm human can change depending on how I feel. It doesn't vary on a day by day basis as much as chunks of time.

I wish I could be a machine of some kind. I feel dysphoric about being an organic being, with a body that does good and bad things. I like sleep but I wish I didn't need it, same with food. I wish I had an exoskeleton rather than an epidermis, because my skin does shitty things to me. I want stability that a human body doesn't provide.

Since I don't care to feel the more intense human emotions like love and sexual desire, I think it's unfair that I need to carry the rest of this garbage about being human.

• Like 3
evigmidnatt

Vulcan

• Like 6

Me:

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog-with-ti

• Like 14
J. van Deijck

I'm an android. do you want to see my circuits?

• Like 7
Guest Deus Ex Infinity
7 minutes ago, alpha decay said:

Joins in, taking up position right next to you while smoothly taking off the first layer of her clothing, revealing her hidden augmentations.

You better get yourself ready for the human cyberkinetic / android ace invasion :D Resistance is futile !

J. van Deijck
15 minutes ago, Deus Ex Zero said:

Joins in, taking up position right next to you while smoothly taking off the first layer of her clothing, revealing her hidden augmentations.

You better get yourself ready for the human cyberkinetic / android ace invasion :D Resistance is futile !

what about cyborgs? :3

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
5 minutes ago, Deus Ex Zero said:

Sure, whatever you want ^^

yas. :3 technology ftw :D

• Like 1
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

As an Asexual, I identify as Wonder Woman. 

196-50402-i-am-wonder-woman.png

:D

• Like 11

I'm evidently enhanced dessert. 

• Like 1

In all seriousness, I'm as human as the next person, but it's disturbing what my classmates believed in college in Philosophy class. Before I knew about asexuality, when we were discussing artificial intelligence and what it meant to "be human," people were discussing stuff like needing a soul, feeling certain emotions, and etc. So, being a bit of a cynic, I asked what people thought of someone (or even a sentient AI) who didn't experience feelings like romantic love. The class largely just refused to believe that being could be "truly human." It was pretty shocking. If that's what the majority of people believe, it's rather scary to think people can dehumanize people who simply don't experience one thing or another.

• Like 18

Don't question my humanity mortal for I am an aditya loyal only to Lord Varuna.

• Like 2
Lady Kestrel

If you mean being asexual means we're not, or less human I think that's silly to associate one thing to deciding humanity. However, when it comes to identity, people can identify with a variety of non-human things. It would be interesting if asexual were statistically more likely to identify as not human or relate with non-human things.

Personally, I always related with non-human things more than humans, but I'm not sure if it relates to my asexuality. I identify strongly with birds, but I still consider myself human. So I guess I am a bird-like human? Human with the personality of a bird? I dunno identity is tricky.

• Like 2
RoseGoesToYale

I am a figment of society's imagination.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lady Kestrel said:

It would be interesting if asexual were statistically more likely to identify as not human or relate with non-human things.

This is actually very interesting indeed. I myself don't identify with very human looks either but with a more amorphus humanoid shape (like something with the shape of a human without being exactly one, like an imprint or a silhouette), with human concience but physically different.

I am also non-binary, which could be related but I can't say for sure.

Lady Kestrel
26 minutes ago, Lar said:

This is actually very interesting indeed. I myself don't identify with very human looks either but with a more amorphus humanoid shape (like something with the shape of a human without being exactly one, like an imprint or a silhouette), with human concience but physically different.

I am also non-binary, which could be related but I can't say for sure.

That's awesome! I don't identify as it, however I absolutely love characters from stories that are like that. Formless shadowy humanoids are some of my favorites, especially when they are non-binary!

8 minutes ago, Lady Kestrel said:

That's awesome! I don't identify as it, however I absolutely love characters from stories that are like that. Formless shadowy humanoids are some of my favorites, especially when they are non-binary!

Oh my. This could be the start of a beautiful friendship. Hahaha! XD

12 minutes ago, Lady Kestrel said:

Yes! they are the best. XD

7 hours ago, Laplace said:

In all seriousness, I'm as human as the next person, but it's disturbing what my classmates believed in college in Philosophy class. Before I knew about asexuality, when we were discussing artificial intelligence and what it meant to "be human," people were discussing stuff like needing a soul, feeling certain emotions, and etc. So, being a bit of a cynic, I asked what people thought of someone (or even a sentient AI) who didn't experience feelings like romantic love. The class largely just refused to believe that being could be "truly human." It was pretty shocking. If that's what the majority of people believe, it's rather scary to think people can dehumanize people who simply don't experience one thing or another.

Yeah. This is a beautiful demonstration that the number one human characteristic is 'deciding other people are less human than we are'. It's really no wonder some people choose to identify with anything but the bunch of fractious judgment-monkeys called H. sapiens. I mean, I know you shouldn't judge a whole species based on the type that are vocal in first year philosophy classes, but sheesh.

• Like 1

I'm a fox, who looks like a human, but really is a fox :) 

all I know is that I'm a living being, in a biological sense. 

I don't know what makes humans human. I'm pretty sure I share most of my DNA with other humans (but never checked... so I may be wrong ;) )

• Like 1

I knew there was a reason I always answered "a wolf" or "a dog" when asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. XD To be honest I've never been very fond of (most) humans and I don't mind not identifying as one, haha. That's not to say the whole species is terrible, obviously that's not true, but I'd still rather hang out with dogs. They don't judge you and they love unconditionally. We're all living beings though and to say someone is somehow "less" of a person because they differ in one way or another is disturbing to say the least.

• Like 2
Anthracite_Impreza
On 2017-6-17 at 5:06 PM, alpha decay said:

Steady on, lad, let's get to know each other first ;)

I'm an Impreza, as should be obvious.

• Like 2
evigmidnatt