I (nearly) freed myself from romantic desires!

hekky1

I just had to write it! After all these years of sadness, grief, and crying of having no girlfriend, nobody to love, I was triggered by loosely related to the issue event.

And I felt that romantic fulfillment is not that important! I felt it for a while, so help me, dear friends, pull this feeling up because I don't know how long will this take until I fall down into the trap of Werther's unfulfilled and unrequited love (reference link if you didn't read Goethe)!

A shoutout to all converted to aromanticism out there, please provide motivational material: stories, pics, cakes and more.

Glad to hear things are better for you now.  :)  I read Werther once and didn't like it (though I can relate to unrequited love).  These days my romanticism comes and goes in phases, so I don't identify as aro.  But it feels freeing, to be able to go through life without feeling romantically attached all the time.

I'm aro and OK with it, if all I ever have are good friends then I'm happy. Like you I spent a lot of years wishing and feeling lonely because I didn't fit in with sexualized ideals. For me the change came when I was listening to a friend of mine who's a happily married sexual woman with three kids and close family. She was saying how lonely she felt and how she had lost her identity in parenthood, and while her husband was her best friend, she felt she didn't want to burden him with her insecurities. I realised that the feeling of loneliness is part of the human condition, we share this one thing no matter what race, religion, gender or sexuality we are. During certain times of all our lives we will experience loneliness and feelings of insecurity about our lives. That's when I stopped wishing I was the same as the rest of the world. I'm aro, I love but don't fall in love and whenever i feel alone I remember that it's just part of being human and I'm far less alone than I realise.

Archived