closed

Megane

the moderator can close this. i found what i wanted somewhere else 

darkstreamers252

If you are thinking of anti-depressants you definitely need to see a psychiatrist, however, I can recommend some stuff for you because I've been on a ton of psychiatric medications.

Lithium carbonate, you said that you are having manic highs and depression. Lithium is a mood stabilizer and an anti-depressant and does alter dopamine in the brain. The only downside is if you take a large dose (like I do) then they do have to do blood work from time to time to make sure you aren't getting lithium poisoning. Lithium is a salt and so taking it may cause you some dehydration as well. I recommend this because this is a drug that actually didn't make me suicidal for the first time in seven years, I have a lot of trouble of getting drugs to work.

Zoloft (Sertraline) is for depression, OCD, or panic disorder, it is serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) but it also can decrease dopamine as well. I never had any side effects with this one, but it large doses it might cause diarrhea.

Celexa (Citalopram) is another SSRI for depression, it also decreases dopamine, but this drug can be sedating.

These are the only ones that I know of that decrease dopamine specifically, my experience has only been with SSRIs since they are the most commonly used, but a doctor may decide something different for you if they think you need it.

Ultimately you need to see a doctor if you think you need anti-depressants.

I hope this helps and I'm sorry that you are feeling this way. :hugs: 

• 4 months later...

Bump cause I still need things I can buy over the counter 

The keyword here is safe, and under the supervision of an experienced psychiatrist would be safest. There is no safe OTC or combination of OTC substances for your situation.

You described the symptoms of bipolar disorder, in my educated but not medically qualified opinion. Something that should be treated by a doctor. As I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I can't compare my experience with medication to what you are hoping to treat.

Okay now that I read the whole thread I understand the struggle. At first I thought, please you won't want to become blunt to your emotions. Speaking from experience myself, I f*cking hate that I can't feel my emotions. And need several therapies to be able to do trauma therapy. 

Still I warn you not having emotions at all is not fun. But I certainly agree with Elefsis seeing a psychiatrist is highly recommended if you want an anti-depressant. Where I live (in the Netherlands) my own doctor can prescribe anti-depressants, I swallowed several kinds of pills. But now I only have 2 anti-depressants, the sertraline and the mirtazapine. I really recommend you to see a doctor or psychiatrist, it really needs to be supervised! Plus if you got side effects and have no ones with experience to go to, that's hell. I was glad I asked my psychiatrist if I could take a lower dosis of my sertraline since I was having severe heat flashes, and no way I in my menopause with 23 years of age. I did my research, and questioned my psychiatrist and after that I felt more secure about taking a lower dosis.

Blunting emotions isn't a good thing. Deptession has robbed me of most of my emotions and I'd do anything to get it back. It isn't straightforward as you are describing there is bound to be side effects you don't want.

What you described sounds like bipolar disorder. You won't be able to get meds for that without a prescription from a doctor. You can try the natural remedy route but I don't have much experience with that or you can try managing (ex. Get enough sleep, don't sit around too much etc) it but you will need a lot of willpower. The best option is to see a doctor.

J. van Deijck

I'm bipolar and all I can say is: Do not try to start any self-medication.

it's a serious illness and without professional help, you're risking to damage yourself even more. it's not worth it in the end.

so in a nutshell; either suffer, self medicate (dont) or see a psychiatrist...welp i guess im back to the basics. everyone comment was taken into content. thank you for taking your time to answer me

On 10/28/2017 at 6:19 AM, Megane said:

so in a nutshell; either suffer, self medicate (dont) or see a psychiatrist...welp i guess im back to the basics. everyone comment was taken into content. thank you for taking your time to answer me

Hey there, I've been seeing psychiatrists since I was 16, and, like the others here I think it should be your first port of call. With any substance (including somehing like food or over the counter meds) it can be frighteningly easy to start (over)using it as a crutch, I have had experience from this. Seeing a paychiatrist would help you catch the early warning signs so you don't get overdependent on something. Wih medication... it depends on your situation but I am taking prescription meds for 3 years now. I don't need them as much but am now seriously struggling to get OFF of them. Withdrawal symptoms etc. Just something to consider. I am purposely not naming what I'm on, but one of the meda mentioned above wih not many side effects I experienced *quite serious* side effects, so again, it depends. Hope this helps in some way :) 

• 1 month later...

the moderator can close this topic at this point i realize no one is going to help me do what i ask. thanks

Archived