Trigger Warning. Poll: Gymnophobia (as the tittle says, it's a sensible topic, please read taking own precautions)

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

Trigger Warning. Gymnophobia (as the tittle says, it's a sensible topic, please read taking own with precautions)  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer gymnophobia? (fear of being naked)

• Yes, I suffer a severe form of gymnophobia, I don't even like to be naked when I'm alone.
    • I think I could possible have a bit of "gymnophobia".
    • I suffered gymnophobia, I'm controlling my own fears.
    • No, I don't like to be naked in from of people but I don't have a phobia.
    • This isn't relevant to me.
    • Other.
    • I was born naked and hope to die naked. I'm a naturist.
  2. 2. If you must be naked in front of someone:

• I would be naked only if it's necessary.
    • I would not even want to get naked in front of a doctor.
    • I would be comfortable naked in front of friends or people I trust.
    • I would be comfortable naked in front of a romantic partner.
    • I would be comfortable naked in front of a sexual partner.
    • Lets be naked and free.
    • Just reading this is making me feel sick.
  3. 3. If someone is naked in front of you:

• No way! No.Get out of my sight.
    • I would be ok, only if needed: an emergency, public showers, work (modeling for example)...
    • I would be ok in certain cases ie. a romantic partner.
    • If I could avoid it, I would do better.
    • I would enjoy it (in certain cases).
    • I would get naked too. Lets all be naked and free.

This poll is closed to new votes

I think I have gymnophobia. Whenever I have dreams where I'm naked I get really panicked and I have to find something to cover myself up with or it's the end of the world. I'm horrified at the thought of being seen naked by someone else, and even when I tried to imagine what it would be like having sex for the first time before I knew I was ace, I felt really uncomfortable due to being naked, and quite a bit more comfortable once under the covers. I admit that I do get a little scared and nervous when I get naked in my bathroom with the door locked when no one is going to see me. It's gotten a little bit better though. I no longer avoid the bathroom mirror in the bathroom like it's going to kill anyone who trespasses. I feel okay when I'm naked in the shower though. Does that sound like a phobia?

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery

I'm fine being naked by myself when I have to shower or get changed but in front of ANYONE else I would panic. I stopped going swimming because of it. I think I might have gymnophobia but not so bad that I can't change my clothes :huh:

I guess I'm what one would call a gymnophile. I'd walk naked through a shopping mall if it were legal.

Finding a place for my wallet would be difficult, however.

ChillaKilla

I'm developing more naturalist tendencies :P I only wear as much clothing as necessary, and take it off at the soonest opportunity.

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery
21 minutes ago, ChillaKilla said:

I'm developing more naturalist tendencies :P I only wear as much clothing as necessary, and take it off at the soonest opportunity.

What do you do in cold weather? Unless you live in a place where it's warm most of the time.

ChillaKilla
Just now, QueenOfCake said:

What do you do in cold weather? Unless you live in a place where it's warm most of the time.

I wear more then. But if I'm at home in my room I just lay in bed with a ton of blankets :lol: 

I opted for the naturist type answers but I'm not actually a naturist or as oddly enthusiastic as the answers imply, I'm just completely comfortable with nudity. I go to nudist beaches because I like swimming naked and hate sunbathing in a soggy bikini. Also tend to be naked at home when it's hot, coz it's comfy. And I sleep naked. I may be typing this while naked. Is this TMI? I think I might be oversharing. Oversharing whilst naked.

Prufrock, but like, worse

Humans are disgusting creatures that should not exist.

This film class having shoved so many vile nude pre-corpses in my face has caused me to react with disgust to the sight of even clothed humans.

Blood.

Guest Invisible Pumpkin
On 25/7/2017 at 4:02 PM, ohdearIzzy said:

I opted for the naturist type answers but I'm not actually a naturist or as oddly enthusiastic as the answers imply, I'm just completely comfortable with nudity. I go to nudist beaches because I like swimming naked and hate sunbathing in a soggy bikini. Also tend to be naked at home when it's hot, coz it's comfy. And I sleep naked. I may be typing this while naked. Is this TMI? I think I might be oversharing. Oversharing whilst naked.

Lol! It's ok, the idea is to share opinions, TMI or not :P

• 4 months later...

I sometimes get nausious seeing nudity.  I walked into an art gallery with plenty of it and was compelled to stay because I didn't want to be rude by leaving the person I was with when they were engaged in a conversation with the artist.  It overwhelmed me to the point where I soon did leave, stopped enjoying the night on the town, went to my condo, and had to take some Pepto with ginger ale before I felt well again.  I wonder who else could relate to this Gymnophobia or whatever you'd describe it as, especially counting any other guys out there.  Even the ladies I was with didn't relate, and they're usually stereotyped as less inclined to tolerate nudity.

I don't like being naked in front of other people (fortunately I wasn't fully naked for years, if ever) and I really don't like when others are naked in front of me. Maybe if it was my partner it would be okay but I don't have experience. But still, I wouldn't say it is a phobia (on the other hand I do everything possible to be even just partially clothed in front of others, so I should probably really consider it). 

• 1 month later...

I actually don't mind it at all, but I think it's from years of living with many other people, roommates at my apartment seeing each other change regularly, and having romantic partners and getting used to physical intimacy. 

Once I had a roommate, after a while I just didnt care and can change right in front of them without noticing! 

I wouldn't walk around naked in front of my friends, but it's not a big deal in a long-term romantic relationship. Seeing other people naked usually doesn't bother me.

I do not mind being naked, alone. But the idea of being naked and exposed is one I would prefer to avoid. 

1. Don’t like it, but it’s not a phobia. 

2. Both not even in front of a doctor and just reading this is making me sick. 

3. Emergency would be okay. 

Sweet Potato

Im pretty modest, pap smears make me blush. the only time I lost all modesty was when my son was born. once 3 doctors and 3 nurses have seen your whooha, a nurse has given you a needle to the butt, 5 other nurses have seen your tits to help you breastfeed and one other had to help you out of the shower because you were to dizzy to do it on your own, you just stop caring who sees what for a little bit. the next day it was all back to normal but for one day I had to either abandon all sense of decency or die of embarassment

binary suns

I might have the phobia. 

I don’t feel comfortable being naked even to a doctor. With a partner I’d be okay in a few situations. 

I select “would like it” for the last option because there wasn’t a neutral option to select. I do not mind other people’s amount of dress that much. 

Huh, this is interesting.  I've always been kind of skittish about being naked.  I think I associate nudity with sex and now I'm questioning if I might be on the asexual spectrum so that makes sense.

On 07/03/2018 at 5:02 AM, float on said:

I might have the phobia. 

I don’t feel comfortable being naked even to a doctor. With a partner I’d be okay in a few situations. 

I select “would like it” for the last option because there wasn’t a neutral option to select. I do not mind other people’s amount of dress that much. 

Probably not if you just feel uncomfortable. A specific phobia is a mental illness, it's not just feeling discomfit or being afraid of something.

I don't care. We're all just bags of meat and bones.

4 minutes ago, float on said:

@Baam sounds awfully elitist

What? Elitist? What do you mean? How in any way is someone with mental illness better than someone without? I'm so confused right now. Do you WANT to have this anxiety disorder? I assure you, it's not as fun as it may sound...

binary suns

"phobia deserves counselor support to overcome"

"you can only have a phobia if you're broken"

both dismisses people who need support but not extremely, as well as shames those who do need support. 

On 10/03/2018 at 2:30 AM, float on said:

"phobia deserves counselor support to overcome"

"you can only have a phobia if you're broken"

both dismisses people who need support but not extremely, as well as shames those who do need support. 

They're not quotes from me are they? I only said that feeling uncomfortable doesn't indicate a diagnosis of specific phobia. Having a mental illness doesn't mean you're broken. If you're trying to argue that specific phobia isn't a mental illness... It falls under the anxiety umbrella; it is an anxiety disorder. Just like generalised anxiety disorder (GAD), social anxiety, OCD, PTSD, and panic disorder.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety/types-of-anxiety/specific-phobias 

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety/types-of-anxiety

I don't see how I'm shaming anyone who needs support. Although I was not the author of that first quote, I wholeheartedly agree with it. Specific phobia are serious, and do require professional help in many cases. Unfortunately, because of the social stigma, many people do not take it seriously, do not regard it as a true mental illness, and it is often treated as a source of entertainment for people. I think that's disgusting.

I do not agree with the second quote. I am not broken.

I have no problem with being nude myself, alone or in front of others or even on a stage, but the nudity of others makes me very uncomfortable most of the time. I just have to look away, I don’t want to see it. I think it’s partly because I consider myself to have a nice body while most others are not so nice to me (conceited much, right?

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:13 AM, Scott1989 said:

Also anyone else think of Tobis Fünke being a Never Nude in Arrested Development?

I'm pretty darn near a "Never Nude."

When I am changing clothes, I put layers on over other layers before taking the first layer off. 

Only time I'm ever ever nude is in the shower. and I hate it.

and I never want to see other people nude, either. (they can be nude if that's what suits them... I just don't want to see it. ...or share their furniture!)

• 3 months later...

@AnotherMember

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived