Irrational (childhood) fears?

kani

SorryNotSorry

A couple of mine came from watching TV.

Yul Brynner as the robot gunman in Westworld scared the crap out of me. I was afraid of bald men for part of my boyhood because of it.

This cackling, haggy demon in an episode of Kolchak likewise scared the crap out of me and made me afraid of the dark until puberty.

The noise vacuum cleaners made.

Cellars and attics.

Now this is a strange one: HVAC ducts. I thought they looked like some kind of huge, LSD-trip snakes with bizarre metal box heads.

Strangely, I wasn't afraid of the Boogeyman, because I never got to see him. I actually felt kind of sorry for him because his job sucks.

purpleandgreylife

I used to be scared to use clawfoot tubs, because I thought my feet would get stuck in the claws.

xLG72DS0WLPC-S.jpg.pagespeed.ic.DpMMDdxG

I was afraid of leaving my closet door open, because I was deathly afraid of darkness and demons. I would see faces inside the darkness. This wasn't so much irrational, since I had hallucinations as a kid, and slept walk. So I'd legit be seeing shit.

Stuff like this:

2645303861_8050575e9b_b.jpg

I was a pretty brave little kid, but I hated public bathrooms. I would literally rather pee outside (despite being a girl.) Idk if I was afraid or just grossed out.

thegreatwolf

Oddly enough zombies the concept terrified me so much I wouldn't go anywhere near Halloween stores along with trick or treating in general due to the candy scare stories. I'm not scared of either I don't trick or treat anymore due to age and zombies have pretty much appeared everywhere to the point it's kind of more annoying then terrifying.

Mirrors in the dark, I was always scared I would see a ghost or something in the mirror that was behind me.

On 6/20/2017 at 10:51 AM, StormySky said:

I was a pretty brave little kid, but I hated public bathrooms. I would literally rather pee outside (despite being a girl.) Idk if I was afraid or just grossed out.

When I was little, I peed standing up (Im bio-fem). It somehow worked as planned, and I especially did this in nasty public bathrooms. My mom once found me doing that and lectured me on sitting lmao.

Rubyballoon

I was terrified of being left on my own in the queue in the supermarket... The world was totally going to end if I got to the top of that line before mum came back :lol:

Good question! For me, my most irrational childhood fear was definitely escalators. I was absolutely terrified that I would accidentally miss the first step and fall down the whole thing! 

Oh, I also used to have a sort-of fear of running on treadmills, but that was more in my pre-teen years when we were using them in gym class. I always thought I'd trip and be thrown off by the belt! 

6 minutes ago, JayDee1212 said:

Good question! For me, my most irrational childhood fear was definitely escalators. I was absolutely terrified that I would accidentally miss the first step and fall down the whole thing! 

Oh, I also used to have a sort-of fear of running on treadmills, but that was more in my pre-teen years when we were using them in gym class. I always thought I'd trip and be thrown off by the belt! 

This fear isn't irrational if you live in China. Same with just about anything mechanical. They got tons of vids of people being killed because no quality regulations.

Archived