What you say when asked why you are still single?

Amathy

I get this all the time. 28 years old, never had a boyfriend (but I'm definitely interested in men, although I wouldn't mind secretly looking at women hah) went on a few dates that went nowhere. I used be on coffee meets bagel and find it extremely tedious. I get annoyed when I connect with someone and he messaged me because I have to respond lol.

Buutttt.. my usual response is a shrug. If they ask why again, I'll just say I don't care about dating. And if that's not enough, I'll be much more blunt and say dating/having a boyfriend is like taking care of a child and I already have a furry two year old who's much cuter and doesn't talk back. Lol. I'm generalizing of course with the men=babies... but it's been pretty accurate so far 😝

AncientAmateur

This thread reminded me of something that happened just the other day. (bit of background: I work in Health care & I'm 25)

So i was dealing with a patient, & during this he asked me "are you married" my response was of course no, he the proceeded to say "So you haven't found your white knight yet?". I was like guess not & he then said "do you think he's ridden off somewhere" & I was like WTF this is a super weird conversation to be having while I stick a needle in some old blokes arm! I don't understand why people are so nosey! For all he knew I could be a widower, I could be homosexual & can't get married (in Australia) & any number of other reasons (including the real reason I'm asexual & not currently interested in a relationship)

I would have liked to say something sarcastic in reply, but the whole, not supposed to be rude to patients thing kicked in.

Anomaly Q3Xr

I actually want a partner, but I won't have sex, and am very introverted, so meeting someone is difficult.  That's pretty much my response.

4 hours ago, AncientAmateur said:

This thread reminded me of something that happened just the other day. (bit of background: I work in Health care & I'm 25)

So i was dealing with a patient, & during this he asked me "are you married" my response was of course no, he the proceeded to say "So you haven't found your white knight yet?". I was like guess not & he then said "do you think he's ridden off somewhere" & I was like WTF this is a super weird conversation to be having while I stick a needle in some old blokes arm! I don't understand why people are so nosey! For all he knew I could be a widower, I could be homosexual & can't get married (in Australia) & any number of other reasons (including the real reason I'm asexual & not currently interested in a relationship)

I would have liked to say something sarcastic in reply, but the whole, not supposed to be rude to patients thing kicked in.

Hah! Are you a nurse too? Patients are pretty nosy. They first ask how old I am (28). Then if I'm married (because "normal" people are usually married by then..?). Regardless of what answer I give, they ask if I have kids. Why.. 

AncientAmateur
8 hours ago, Helo0421 said:

Hah! Are you a nurse too? Patients are pretty nosy. They first ask how old I am (28). Then if I'm married (because "normal" people are usually married by then..?). Regardless of what answer I give, they ask if I have kids. Why.. 

Nuclear Medicine Technologist actually ^_^

"Why would I spend that kind of money when I can't afford to live on my own?"

"I'm not interested in anyone really" even though I'm kind of lying when I say that but it often feels like the easiest way out of the discussion. And also because I don't want to say that no one would be interested in me.

It depends on who I'm talking to. If it's someone I'd be open to telling about being ace, I say "I'm not interested in having a *insert gender-neutral Norwegian word for boyfriend/girlfriend*" If it's my grandma or someone random, I say "I don't have time for a relationship, I've got shit to do."

"I just prefer being single". 

Somehow people who ask me that tend to answer themselves (why even ask then? :huh:) And they basically say the "So you haven't found the right guy yet" or, people who know I'm still studying, "So you're focusing on your studies.". Most of the times I can just keep quiet :ph34r:

If I actually have to answer, then I'll say the ones above, just shrug and say "I don't know/ That's just how it is" or "That's not my priority (right now)"

Which is actually kind of true. That is just how it is, and getting in a romantic relationship isn't a priority for me - I'd like to have one, though - but I DO know why I've been single my whole life (and it's not for lack of oportunities, I've already been confessed to a few times)

On 20/07/2017 at 2:43 PM, Yebanth said:

Been reading through this thread, and have just replied... with pretty much the same answer as you have here, which I've just read!!.... I also get the kids question a lot!! :) Nice to see people are acting predictable....hmmmmm!! 

Yeah, many people do just get stuck in the whole stereotypical view of life.

Nearly 40-year-old guy with no wife - must be divorced, right?

Depends who asks.

Sometimes when guys I don't know too well ask me, I just tell them I don't want to talk about it, and change the subject. Because in the past if I gave an evasive answer guys would think I'm dating someone and because I'm supposedly uncommitted, they have a chance. That's lead to some guys getting nasty with me.

With girls, I just say that I'm too picky.

My close friends know.

"I like being single far more than I liked being in a relationship"

"I enjoy the simple life of being single" is my go to answer.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I say "I rather put my interests and priorities in my career with the Geological Survey  (USGS) than be in a relationship where boundaries will never be respected." 

I enjoy my freedom of being single as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone asks: Why are you single?

I reply: "I'm too American to date. I love freedom too much."

Why wouldn't I?

"I'm not interested in relationships, I really don't need it in my life, I don't have enough time as it is"

Just haven't found the one...plus, very happy with my live-in cat situation.

Archived