What you say when asked why you are still single?

Amathy

@HeWhoSingsAmongTheStars shared http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/19/34-creative-answers-for-when-youre-asked-the-still-single-question-for-the-1000th-time-5350770/ in a discussion about what do you say when someone asks you who you are attracted to.  I felt what do you say when someone asks why you are still single was a different enough question and I looked a dozen pages back and didn't see another similarly named thread.  I'll get us started:

"My nonexistant partner can't ask me nosy questions"

18. ‘Have you seen American Psycho? You know how he’s dead inside so starts slinging an axe?

Yeah that.

That's the kind of stuff I'd say :lol:

HeWhoSingsAmongTheStars
5 minutes ago, Amathy said:

@HeWhoSingsAmongTheStars shared http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/19/34-creative-answers-for-when-youre-asked-the-still-single-question-for-the-1000th-time-5350770/ in a discussion about what do you say when someone asks you who you are attracted to.  I felt what do you say when someone asks why you are still single was a different enough question and I looked a dozen pages back and didn't see another similarly named thread.  I'll get us started:

"My nonexistant partner can't ask me nosy questions"

woops lol sorry :P I was reading and posting on several topics at the same time. Guess I got them mixed up :lol:

You want me to limit this much awesome to one person? 

Please

I don't care about fitting in with society and dating just because everyone does.

Either that or something similar to the quote in my signature. 

Honest Hufflepuff here but I'm usually like "No one has really interested me" and sometimes that doesn't go over well with the guys who are asking that question as if to say "Why has no one snatched you up yet? You're beautiful, etc..." And then they realize I'm not interested in them either. Whoops.  

Also, @Starbucks Covfefe I laughed so hard at your username. 

RoseGoesToYale

"Why are you still single?"

"My clone isn't ready yet. They're 3D-printing it right now."

"Why are you still single?"

Me (in my head): "Why are you still a nosy prick that asks questions designed to make people feel bad?"

Me (actually): (shrugs)

I usually make some glib or self-deprecating remark like, "You really think people wanna deal with someone like me on a daily basis for the rest of their lives? I'd drive them crazy." or "I have about as much charm and romantic understanding as a dead fish." For some reason, my relatives just expect someone to fall for me cause I'm academically smart, well-behaved, and at least somewhat handsome. That doesn't guarantee anything, esp. if you're a detached oddball who lacks any ability to interpret romantic cues. If I really want to deliver the coup de grace to the topic (I'm usually not caustic enough to do so but still), I can always say that I'm not really that eager to get hitched or laid cause my parents are divorced. That'll suck the air right out of the conversation. See how "charming" and "cheery" I am yet 😅?

fatal flower-boy

"Because I just don't care."

I just don't.

"I have better things to do."

And I really do.

I just tell them that the guys that have made a move are not my type and well, I don't want to get into a relationship with someone I don't like for the sake of being in a relationship. 

BlackRose1990

It depends on the situation and person. Usually I just say I am busy with work and hobbies.

I'm just honest with them, and say it's because I don't need another person invading my space and demanding my time and attention. The few people I know and like irl understand that I prefer to be alone 99% of the time, so when randoms start going on about why I don't have a partner it kind of bugs me, like, why is it anything to do with them whether I'm with someone or not?

SpaceDustbin

That I'm too much of a perfectionist, or that I have no feelings :lol: (which is actually both sort of true to some extent)

I usually say "I'm not looking for a relationship right now." or "I want to be single right now." Usually people accept that and move on. If they ask me why, I say "I just don't feel like it right now" and "Maybe I'll try later."

All of those statements are 100% true. I find being blunt gets people off my back. 

"Too lazy" is the usual response 

Or sometimes the old "right person ain't found me yet/I haven't found the right person" 

Hermit Advocate

"I'm not interested in a relationship."

Or for the more persistent (annoying) people who can't accept that:

"I'm too busy with work and school."

I'm always honest with people and say I don't want a relationship right now, and that I'm happy being single.  Most people interpret that as me being too focused on my research to focus on romance, even though in reality it's because I'm aromantic and repulsed by romance.  If it's not someone I want to come out to I usually won't correct that assumption.

I turn it around and say, "Why are YOU so determined to be in a relationship?"  

I'd rather travel.

Anthracite_Impreza

Why would I waste my time, money and energy on a human when there are cars in the world?

Usually I have said "I haven't found the right person". Although I don't get asked the question much and it's been a while since the last time anyone asked. Maybe that's because I am older?

GiraffeSpots

"I'm just such an honest person it's hard for anyone to date me. Generally, people give up after they ask me if I like them and I say no."

On 2017-6-14 at 11:57 AM, Riddley said:

"I am single by choice,just not my choice."

*sings Single Ladies*

This made me think of a funny one: "I love Beyonce, being a single lady makes me feel close to her."

I wish I had the guts to say either of those. In reality, I'm more likely to muble something about not really being interested and then pray they change the topic. Yay?

"I'm really not interested now.  I have too many things going on in my life right now."

njosnavelin
1 hour ago, songchick said:

"I'm really not interested now.  I have too many things going on in my life right now."

Exactly what I say. 

I just can't be bothered. I'm usually playing cricket or coaching cricket or doing Maths or teaching maths or out getting pissed. I just don't see where courting could come into that.

Archived