New Ace Dating/Chat App!

Taijavu

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
23 hours ago, Taijavu said:

Just wanted to let you guys know I found a new app that looks promising. It has options for demi, aro, etc, and you can use it for dating or just for chatting. It's only in beta right now, so it may be a little unpolished. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xyz.purush.ace

Indeed! Thanks for sharing :D I'll have a look at it tonight.

8 hours ago, Mymissymoo said:

I hope they add iOS support!

Same!! That looks so cool!! 

Seems cool, but I'm not sure the Tinder model really works for an ace-specific app. There may be some hope, since the roadmap seems to have plans for a more open discussion type framework, but to me, the tinder model, which relies on the user making a snap judgement on whether the person is interesting/compatible/whatever, based on pictures and a small blurb, works a lot better for allosexual people, where the pictures play a larger role through sexual attraction. It seems like the app would be better if it were formulated to have your profile showcase more of your personality and interests, because there's not a lot that can be said in 100 characters.

Forgive my cynicism, but it seems really busy for an app that has just been launched at the asexual community and doesn't even seem to have been discussed here.

Are all these profiles bona fide?

38 minutes ago, acesexual7 said:

Forgive my cynicism, but it seems really busy for an app that has just been launched at the asexual community and doesn't even seem to have been discussed here.

Are all these profiles bona fide?

No, you have a good point. I think at least some are, as I've talked to at least five people who seem to be separate and real. I'd send a screenshot of my inbox, but I don't know how to xP I think the creator has been sending it to ace groups, that's how I found it anyways. It is indeed strange it is just barely being discussed here though.

My actual phone is an iPhone, but I have a phone running android I used to use for beer money apps. I'm going to try checking this app once a day.

So far...

+sometimes I see people around my age

-can't edit any information other than bio blurb

+might be less scary than ace-book or okcupid for some

-seeing "Springfield, United States" is not at all helpful

-currently no way to limit search area

-only way to "browse" is tinder type format (you can look at full profiles so it's not as bad as tinder)

+can specify heteroromantic/androromantic/aromantic/confused, and many others 

+non-binary options 

+can "look for" friends and chat in addition to romantic relationships

+can specify your relationship style as mono or poly

I've been giving feedback since this is a beta version. Apparently people forget with beta versions the developers WANT feedback to make it better.

Here's a modified screencap of my profile to give you an idea:

3 minutes ago, Just like Jughead said:

Oh another one of these. The community pushing the agenda that all of us asexuals must want to date. 

I see it as an offer you're free to make use of - or not. Can't see an agenda here. Nobody is forced (or even encouraged) to do anything they don't want to do.

3 hours ago, Just like Jughead said:

Oh another one of these. The community pushing the agenda that all of us asexuals must want to date. 

What? No, it is for aces who want to and there are plenty of us who do, thank you very much.

There's more than a few people who aren't looking for romantic relationships already using the app, including aromantics. I modified the screencap of my own profile to stick relationship in there. I chat just about anyone who wants to because maybe I will make a new friend. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 2 weeks later...
MinorityGamer

I think having an app is interesting. It will give those who want a relationship and those who just want friends a chance to branch out. 

LemonTheDestroyer

This is pretty cool! I'll totally try it out. Is it all free or do you have to pay for anything?

52 minutes ago, LemonTheDestroyer said:

This is pretty cool! I'll totally try it out. Is it all free or do you have to pay for anything?

It's free! :)

LemonTheDestroyer

I like the idea! But it's difficult for us in the U.S. who may be trying to find friends close to us 😔 So many cities share their name with another state's city

4 hours ago, LemonTheDestroyer said:

I like the idea! But it's difficult for us in the U.S. who may be trying to find friends close to us 😔 So many cities share their name with another state's city

It's a beta. That's what the feedback option is for. They want to hear how it can be improved. :D  I've already suggested the state/province thing myself, but more won't hurt.

LemonTheDestroyer
7 hours ago, Ms. Wrench said:

It's a beta. That's what the feedback option is for. They want to hear how it can be improved. :D  I've already suggested the state/province thing myself, but more won't hurt.

I did too! Along with letting them know that their "edit profile" option doesn't actually work. I hope it gets better! I accidentally left a blank bio and can't change it

Why does the app need permission to draw over other apps? 

Edit: I got that ^ error, but it seems to have resolved itself so ignore this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2017 at 5:50 AM, LemonTheDestroyer said:

I did too! Along with letting them know that their "edit profile" option doesn't actually work. I hope it gets better! I accidentally left a blank bio and can't change it

The "edit profile" option got resolved in the latest update. Still no states/provinces or other browsing options though. 

• 4 weeks later...

Latest update offers restricting browsing to your country.

The filters are somewhat strange. They only find 2 profiles, although I'm sure I have seen others from my country and they weren't the ones that came up. Hm.

Archived