• Announcements

• Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
Piotrek

Favourite team sport to watch (on TV or at a venue)

What's you favourite team sport to watch (on TV or at a venue)?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What's you favourite team sport to watch (on TV or at a venue)?

• Baseball
    • Football (the US variety)
    • Basketball
    • Soccer
    • Ice hockey
    • Cricket
    • Rugby
    • Voleyball
    • Handball
    • Field hockey
    • Other (want to share? :) )
    • I don't like watching sports

Remmirath

Of the ones listed, I like hockey (ice hockey, naturally). Mostly I watch it on the TV, of course, but I like going to games in person as well when I can -- which isn't terribly often. I'm mostly a motorsport fan, however; hockey is somewhat secondary to that, although the seasons don't overlap terribly much so I mostly watch hockey in the winter and motorsport the rest of the year. So Formula 1, IndyCar, and Formula E would be my top sports to watch. Sometimes I catch Formula 2 as well or parts of the World Endurance Championship, but those aren't usually shown so well here, and I don't usually have the time to watch a whole WEC race.

kelico

About 10-ish years ago, I would've said baseball. I literally watched every game, every inning. :lol: But now our team sucks and is sooo hard to watch lol. But definitely ice hockey and also basketball. : ) I'll watch football (american) when my dad has it on, but I don't watch it of my own volition lol.

Piotrek
3 hours ago, kelico said:

About 10-ish years ago, I would've said baseball. I literally watched every game, every inning. :lol: But now our team sucks and is sooo hard to watch lol. But definitely ice hockey and also basketball. : ) I'll watch football (american) when my dad has it on, but I don't watch it of my own volition lol.

That must have taken a long time to watch. Isn't baseball one of those games that don't have fixed duration and where a game lasts until the last inning is decided?

Homer

Exactly. There are a few full MLB games available on YT, each lasting about three hours. That's an average coffee break in cricket though :D

Baseball is actually pretty fascinating once you know what's going on.

Piotrek

@Homer

Yeah, I remember reading that cricket matches can last several days, a few hours a day :o

I still haven't got round to watching any baseball.

Keilah

I'll go to baseball games but not watch them on tv, and watch my favorite football team on tv, but not attend the game.

Piotrek

@Keilah

Interesting distiction. Why is that?

Keilah

Football games are idiotically expensive while baseball games are cheaper. I'm also more of a baseball fan than I am a football fan.

Nidwin

Rugby Union

[noize:injekktion]

in fact, basketball is the only team sport i truly love, so much that I used to be in a school basketball team as a teenager before I had to leave. :D so this is also the only sport I could actually watch in TV.

Rhaenys

Football.

I have fond memories of watching UEFA Champions League games in a packed University cafeteria.

flagsforhippos

I like watching some football on tv - match of the day or occasionally FA cup or champions league.

Indoors bowls is something I like to watch and there has been more of it on tv this year on ITV channels. They're broadcasting a lot of darts too which I'm happy about as I'm a fan (though a bit of a rubbish player)

Sometimes I watch rugby, union rather than league - 6 nations is the tournament I always watch. 

It's pretty rare that I go see live sport as I'm not great with big crowds.  

will123

Hockey followed by box lacrosse (lacrosse played on the carpeted or bare concrete floor in an arena.

drjohnhwatson

I chose soccer and ice hockey.  I've not actually watched ice hockey, but I think it would be interesting.  Everything else is fairly boring to me.

As to soccer, I can put a random game on and watch, and I get actively involved with the World Cup.  I've watched since I was like 16 (so three of them) and rooted for Germany each time--and they won last time, which was fabulous!  I was actually in a hotel at the time and went down to the bar to watch.  The people didn't seem to care; they would cheer whenever anyone got near to the goal, haha.  It was a nail-biter for me, though.

:lol:.

Topi

I watch football when it's Portugal playing and enjoy it a lot. 

I also like to watch futsal, hockey and ice hockey, handball. 

But to me what I really enjoy to see in television is individual sports, winter sports and follow any time of Olympic games or Mundial/European competition of any kind of sports. 

I don't like to PRACTICE sports, but I really enjoy watching them in television.

I used to run when little, but didn't like the pressure and competition, so I give up. 

Piotrek

@Topi

When you wrote "hockey" did you mean roller hockey? I know that's very popular in the Iberian Peninsula.

will123
1 hour ago, Piotrek said:

@Topi

When you wrote "hockey" did you mean roller hockey? I know that's very popular in the Iberian Peninsula.

I'm not sure how popular roller hockey is in Canada, but 'ball' hockey is popular during the summer months. Players play on a normal rink (without the ice) and wear running shoes. 

will123
4 hours ago, Topi said:

I watch football when it's Portugal playing and enjoy it a lot. 

I also like to watch futsal, hockey and ice hockey, handball. 

But to me what I really enjoy to see in television is individual sports, winter sports and follow any time of Olympic games or Mundial/European competition of any kind of sports. 

I don't like to PRACTICE sports, but I really enjoy watching them in television.

I used to run when little, but didn't like the pressure and competition, so I give up. 

You'd like Saturday mornings here in Canada. The two sports networks with multiple feeds are saturated with English football. My company's CCTV feed in the lunch rooms had it on. I couldn't eat my lunch fast enough those days and get out. Even though my grandmother was from Birmingham, our family has had no interest in the sport.

Topi
5 hours ago, Piotrek said:

@Topi

Yeah. You are correct. It's just that although the sport is called "Hóquei em patins", I usually only call it "Hóquei" so I forgot the roller. xD From what my father told me Portugal is very good at it and more than half the portuguese teams are automatically qualified for European competitions.

4 hours ago, will123 said:

You'd like Saturday mornings here in Canada. The two sports networks with multiple feeds are saturated with English football. My company's CCTV feed in the lunch rooms had it on. I couldn't eat my lunch fast enough those days and get out. Even though my grandmother was from Birmingham, our family has had no interest in the sport.

Nah, I only like to watch Portugal games and control the classifications of all championships on newspapers. 

Actually, watching sports on TV is my bonding time with my father and seeing the sports newspapers too. I'm the only person on the house that doesn't get mad with him, when he wants to see sports. :D That's how I started to really like to see sports. I would sit beside my father and see the sport on the TV and ask questions to understand the sport better.

will123
24 minutes ago, Topi said:

Yeah. You are correct. It's just that although the sport is called "Hóquei em patins", I usually only call it "Hóquei" so I forgot the roller. xD From what my father told me Portugal is very good at it and more than half the portuguese teams are automatically qualified for European competitions.

Nah, I only like to watch Portugal games and control the classifications of all championships on newspapers. 

Actually, watching sports on TV is my bonding time with my father and seeing the sports newspapers too. I'm the only person on the house that doesn't get mad with him, when he wants to see sports. :D That's how I started to really like to see sports. I would sit beside my father and see the sport on the TV and ask questions to understand the sport better.

Cool!

Piotrek
10 hours ago, Topi said:

Yeah, Portugal and Spain are the two biggest powers in Europe. (On the other hand, only a few countries in Europe have hockey teams so there's not much competition ;) ).

HonoraryJedi

I have, for a very long time, been uninterested watching teamsports, even though I now can understand that some of them could be interesting. I cannot bring myself to care about most common sports though. Still, I have been getting into esports lately. I found it way more interesting to watch people play something I also play myself, I found out^^

korik

I am not a fan of sports. but I will watch Curling.

Steve M

I have no interest in sports, it's all pretty boring to me.