Favourite team sport to watch (on TV or at a venue)

Piotrek

What's you favourite team sport to watch (on TV or at a venue)?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What's you favourite team sport to watch (on TV or at a venue)?

• Baseball
    • Football (the US variety)
    • Basketball
    • Soccer
    • Ice hockey
    • Cricket
    • Rugby
    • Voleyball
    • Handball
    • Field hockey
    • Other (want to share? :) )
    • I don't like watching sports

This poll is closed to new votes

divided_sky

Definitely hockey. I used to like football, but it's gotten old, and the games are too long for me. I also get annoyed with the ridiculous rules, like the process of making a catch, that are next to impossible to make sense of. Football is much better on TV than in person, but hockey is probably the only sport I'd rather see in person than on TV. Waiting for the Blackhawks to go back to being awful so I can score cheap tickets like we used to. I don't watch baseball, but I do like going to the occasional Cubs game. Wrigley Field is a beautiful place to watch a game. I get more interested in following the league operations than actually watching games for most sports.

Depends. I'll watch pro basketball, but usually not college. And I'll watch college football, but never pro. I guess I'm pretty weird in that regard.

@yourcaptaiin

Interesting distinction. Why do you think this is so?

• 2 weeks later...
everywhere and nowhere

I just don't fancy team sports. I prefer individual ones: ski jumping, Nordic combined, alpine skiing, figure skating, athletics...

I like to watch field hockey and lacrosse, primarily because I play those two sports. Also interesting is ice hockey 

American Football. My team is Greenbay.

I also occasionally watch MMA. No particular favorite fighter. 

1 hour ago, Pramana said:

I have little interest in sports, for the most part. The only one I like to watch on TV is golf.

Are you sure you just don't like watching grass grow? :P

1 hour ago, laura_ said:

I like to watch field hockey and lacrosse, primarily because I play those two sports. Also interesting is ice hockey 

An so my "field hockey" vote is no longer solitary :D  Is field hockey an important sport in your area?

Also, lacrosse looks interesting. I actually saw some lacrosse players on the bus with their gear one day. I never thought anyone plays this game in Poland. But then we also have a whole baseball league as I learned to my amazement the other day, so what do I know :D 

@Nowhere Girl

I was intrigued to see that you like ski jumping, but then I noticed you're from Poland. I guess that explains a lot ;)

49 minutes ago, Yato God of Tofu said:

Are you sure you just don't like watching grass grow? :P

The grass grows faster than the players move, which is nice because that way I can do other things while watching without having to worry that I've missed something.

1 minute ago, Pramana said:

The grass grows faster than the players move, which is nice because that way I can do other things while watching without having to worry that I've missed something.

Fair point yo. XD

Gosh that was tough. I could've picked one of 4 sports.

1.) Cricket. Playing and watching cricket is enthralling. Simply because the game is constantly changing. A teaming is winning, then they are losing, then they are winning again and usually some brilliance decides it in the end. T20, 50 overs and 5 days all have this.

2.) Snooker. A brilliant game to watch live. It's so quiet in the venues plus every shot counts. I love it when a 30 minute safety battle takes place.

3.) Rugby. There are so many things going on in a Rugby Union match. Defense, defense, ruck, ruck, ruck, pass, pass.... It is simply immense.

4.) Boxing. I'm not a huge fan o this sport. I don't like the heavy weights as they come across as egotistical nobodies. But the fights are such an adrenaline rush. It can easily be over in 10 seconds or a hard slogging marathon. Watching 40 year old fights is awesome as well.

I can watch any sport really (bar Golf, or England football unless they are getting hammered)

18 hours ago, Piotrek said:

An so my "field hockey" vote is no longer solitary :D  Is field hockey an important sport in your area?

Also, lacrosse looks interesting. I actually saw some lacrosse players on the bus with their gear one day. I never thought anyone plays this game in Poland. But then we also have a whole baseball league as I learned to my amazement the other day, so what do I know :D 

Field hockey is fairly important, but only in the richest portions. 

I didn't know they played lacrosse in Poland either! Huh, I guess you learn something new every day.

Mostly basketball (NBA and sometimes the PBA when my dad's home) and Formula 1. Does the Olympics count as well?

The only sports I really like to watch live are basketball and hockey. I've actually been to quite a few college hockey games, just as good as NHL games in my opinion. 

Baseball can be fun, but it's also way too long. Usually I have to leave early if it's nearing the 3 hour mark. 

Football and Lacrosse just confused me! 

AcesAndChill

Do eSports count? Lmao 

I hate most sports IRL but I love to watch certain eSports both in venue and at home (on stream).

It can be super exciting, especially teams. I find doubles to be tons of fun to watch and find myself getting real invested.

~Cheetah

6 hours ago, AcesAndChill said:

Do eSports count? Lmao 

I hate most sports IRL but I love to watch certain eSports both in venue and at home (on stream).

It can be super exciting, especially teams. I find doubles to be tons of fun to watch and find myself getting real invested.

~Cheetah

What are esports?

Elftober Country

Road cycling - yes this is a team sport

3 hours ago, iff said:

What are esports?

On-line computer games played competitevely, team on team. This has become a big thing recently and, perhaps surprisingly, there are a lot of people willing to pay to watch others play :) Poland has hosted some esport events in recent years and I hear they were a commercial success.

@AcesAndChill

5 hours ago, October Country said:

Road cycling - yes this is a team sport

The T de F has been brilliant, hasn't it?

Elftober Country
3 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

The T de F has been brilliant, hasn't it?

Fuck Yes!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, October Country said:

Fuck Yes!!!!!!!

And the live coverage has been an excellent way to spend afternoons whilst doing other stuff on the laptop.

AcesAndChill
6 hours ago, iff said:

What are esports?

Basically competitive video games :D
It can be online, like OP said, or sitting down next to your teammates with everything hooked up. It can also be 1v1, usually with fighting games.
Some eSports have indeed become huge, more corporate-esque events, and lots of people pay money to enter in a tournament or just spectate. Even eSports arenas are popping up a lot now, and some colleges and universities may offer scholarships. (I've only heard of one or two offering scholarships or having official eSports teams. Colleges and universities are still big spots to host eSports tournaments as well.)

@AcesAndChill

I have a colleague who competes in esport for profit, mostly soccer-themed from what I understand. He talks about it most of the time.

• 1 month later...

In recent days I tried watching sports on TV and YT, but even though they were some of the sports I voted for in the poll I just wasn't interested enough to sit it through. I tried with a field hockey match on YT (the international hockey federation has a YT channel with complete games) and a volleyball match on TV involving Poland, but on both occassions I lost interest after some time.

RoseGoesToYale

I mostly watch ice hockey (and go to the games sometimes, too). If there was good soccer in my area, I might go to those games too. I know my city has a pro soccer team, but I never hear anything about them.

Archived