Favourite team sport to watch (on TV or at a venue)

Piotrek

What's you favourite team sport to watch (on TV or at a venue)?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What's you favourite team sport to watch (on TV or at a venue)?

• Baseball
    • Football (the US variety)
    • Basketball
    • Soccer
    • Ice hockey
    • Cricket
    • Rugby
    • Voleyball
    • Handball
    • Field hockey
    • Other (want to share? :) )
    • I don't like watching sports

This poll is closed to new votes

Of the ones listed, I like hockey (ice hockey, naturally). Mostly I watch it on the TV, of course, but I like going to games in person as well when I can -- which isn't terribly often. I'm mostly a motorsport fan, however; hockey is somewhat secondary to that, although the seasons don't overlap terribly much so I mostly watch hockey in the winter and motorsport the rest of the year. So Formula 1, IndyCar, and Formula E would be my top sports to watch. Sometimes I catch Formula 2 as well or parts of the World Endurance Championship, but those aren't usually shown so well here, and I don't usually have the time to watch a whole WEC race.

About 10-ish years ago, I would've said baseball. I literally watched every game, every inning. :lol: But now our team sucks and is sooo hard to watch lol. But definitely ice hockey and also basketball. : ) I'll watch football (american) when my dad has it on, but I don't watch it of my own volition lol.

3 hours ago, kelico said:

About 10-ish years ago, I would've said baseball. I literally watched every game, every inning. :lol: But now our team sucks and is sooo hard to watch lol. But definitely ice hockey and also basketball. : ) I'll watch football (american) when my dad has it on, but I don't watch it of my own volition lol.

That must have taken a long time to watch. Isn't baseball one of those games that don't have fixed duration and where a game lasts until the last inning is decided?

Exactly. There are a few full MLB games available on YT, each lasting about three hours. That's an average coffee break in cricket though :D

Baseball is actually pretty fascinating once you know what's going on.

@Homer

Yeah, I remember reading that cricket matches can last several days, a few hours a day :o

I still haven't got round to watching any baseball.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go to baseball games but not watch them on tv, and watch my favorite football team on tv, but not attend the game.

Football games are idiotically expensive while baseball games are cheaper. I'm also more of a baseball fan than I am a football fan.

• 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

in fact, basketball is the only team sport i truly love, so much that I used to be in a school basketball team as a teenager before I had to leave. :D so this is also the only sport I could actually watch in TV.

Football.

I have fond memories of watching UEFA Champions League games in a packed University cafeteria.

• 3 weeks later...
flagsforhippos

I like watching some football on tv - match of the day or occasionally FA cup or champions league.

Indoors bowls is something I like to watch and there has been more of it on tv this year on ITV channels. They're broadcasting a lot of darts too which I'm happy about as I'm a fan (though a bit of a rubbish player)

Sometimes I watch rugby, union rather than league - 6 nations is the tournament I always watch. 

It's pretty rare that I go see live sport as I'm not great with big crowds.  

Hockey followed by box lacrosse (lacrosse played on the carpeted or bare concrete floor in an arena.

• 2 weeks later...
drjohnhwatson

I chose soccer and ice hockey.  I've not actually watched ice hockey, but I think it would be interesting.  Everything else is fairly boring to me.

As to soccer, I can put a random game on and watch, and I get actively involved with the World Cup.  I've watched since I was like 16 (so three of them) and rooted for Germany each time--and they won last time, which was fabulous!  I was actually in a hotel at the time and went down to the bar to watch.  The people didn't seem to care; they would cheer whenever anyone got near to the goal, haha.  It was a nail-biter for me, though.

:lol:.

I watch football when it's Portugal playing and enjoy it a lot. 

I also like to watch futsal, hockey and ice hockey, handball. 

But to me what I really enjoy to see in television is individual sports, winter sports and follow any time of Olympic games or Mundial/European competition of any kind of sports. 

I don't like to PRACTICE sports, but I really enjoy watching them in television.

I used to run when little, but didn't like the pressure and competition, so I give up. 

@Topi

When you wrote "hockey" did you mean roller hockey? I know that's very popular in the Iberian Peninsula.

1 hour ago, Piotrek said:

@Topi

When you wrote "hockey" did you mean roller hockey? I know that's very popular in the Iberian Peninsula.

I'm not sure how popular roller hockey is in Canada, but 'ball' hockey is popular during the summer months. Players play on a normal rink (without the ice) and wear running shoes. 

4 hours ago, Topi said:

I watch football when it's Portugal playing and enjoy it a lot. 

I also like to watch futsal, hockey and ice hockey, handball. 

But to me what I really enjoy to see in television is individual sports, winter sports and follow any time of Olympic games or Mundial/European competition of any kind of sports. 

I don't like to PRACTICE sports, but I really enjoy watching them in television.

I used to run when little, but didn't like the pressure and competition, so I give up. 

You'd like Saturday mornings here in Canada. The two sports networks with multiple feeds are saturated with English football. My company's CCTV feed in the lunch rooms had it on. I couldn't eat my lunch fast enough those days and get out. Even though my grandmother was from Birmingham, our family has had no interest in the sport.

5 hours ago, Piotrek said:

@Topi

Yeah. You are correct. It's just that although the sport is called "Hóquei em patins", I usually only call it "Hóquei" so I forgot the roller. xD From what my father told me Portugal is very good at it and more than half the portuguese teams are automatically qualified for European competitions.

4 hours ago, will123 said:

You'd like Saturday mornings here in Canada. The two sports networks with multiple feeds are saturated with English football. My company's CCTV feed in the lunch rooms had it on. I couldn't eat my lunch fast enough those days and get out. Even though my grandmother was from Birmingham, our family has had no interest in the sport.

Nah, I only like to watch Portugal games and control the classifications of all championships on newspapers. 

Actually, watching sports on TV is my bonding time with my father and seeing the sports newspapers too. I'm the only person on the house that doesn't get mad with him, when he wants to see sports. :D That's how I started to really like to see sports. I would sit beside my father and see the sport on the TV and ask questions to understand the sport better.

24 minutes ago, Topi said:

Yeah. You are correct. It's just that although the sport is called "Hóquei em patins", I usually only call it "Hóquei" so I forgot the roller. xD From what my father told me Portugal is very good at it and more than half the portuguese teams are automatically qualified for European competitions.

Nah, I only like to watch Portugal games and control the classifications of all championships on newspapers. 

Actually, watching sports on TV is my bonding time with my father and seeing the sports newspapers too. I'm the only person on the house that doesn't get mad with him, when he wants to see sports. :D That's how I started to really like to see sports. I would sit beside my father and see the sport on the TV and ask questions to understand the sport better.

Cool!

10 hours ago, Topi said:

Yeah, Portugal and Spain are the two biggest powers in Europe. (On the other hand, only a few countries in Europe have hockey teams so there's not much competition ;) ).

I have, for a very long time, been uninterested watching teamsports, even though I now can understand that some of them could be interesting. I cannot bring myself to care about most common sports though. Still, I have been getting into esports lately. I found it way more interesting to watch people play something I also play myself, I found out^^

I have no interest in sports, it's all pretty boring to me.

• 4 months later...
purpleandgreylife

It would be interesting if you added a question asking which country each respondent is from. There are some sports that are more popular in some countries than others.

@purpleandgreylife

Indeed there are and I tried to take it into consideration when choosing the sports for the poll :) Adding the nationality/location wouldn't accomplish much IMO, though, because there's no way of combining these two criteria ("I'm from X and like Y") without making this poll REALLY long.

purpleandgreylife

@Piotrek I see your point. I just looked at the poll settings and you're right that would get really long. I thought there would be an option for people to write in poll answers, but there's not. You could just ask people to include their country of current residence in the discussion section. Everyone won't reply but you'll at least be able to correlate country and sport. 

• 3 months later...

@Piotrek

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived