Favourite team sport to watch (on TV or at a venue)

Piotrek

What's you favourite team sport to watch (on TV or at a venue)?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What's you favourite team sport to watch (on TV or at a venue)?

• Baseball
    • Football (the US variety)
    • Basketball
    • Soccer
    • Ice hockey
    • Cricket
    • Rugby
    • Voleyball
    • Handball
    • Field hockey
    • Other (want to share? :) )
    • I don't like watching sports

This poll is closed to new votes

Welcome to my first poll :)

I was wondering what team sports do you like to watch. While I've seen some threads that suggest that many AVENites don't like following sport events as spectators, I'm sure there are those who enjoy it, so feel free to tell us more. In choosing the options I took into consideration the countries that the AVEN members come from and tried to pick at least one major team sport popular in a given area.

Mutilple choice possible. :)

Knight of Cydonia

I would say football, but the Canadian variety ;)

CFL football is definitely my favourite sport to watch. My dad and I have seasons tickets, and his father even had seasons tickets since day one when our home team started in 1954. So it definitely runs in the family, and I fully intend on keeping up the tradition.

They say cycling is an individual sport for teams and while the individual might be the one rewarded for the victory, success in it is a team success

NFL is my main sport to watch (Been to games in the UK and in the states). Also ticked other as I do like F1, which is both an individual and a team motor sport.

Looking at getting into local pro basketball and ice hockey after my states visit where both experiences were interesting.

I'm one of those who don't like watching. 

I don't understand

• Why I am supposed to emotionally bond with any team of strangers.
  • Why such health ruining BS like professional or Olympic level sports gets supported at all.

Sports should be fun! 

There is one soccer game I regret not having watched: late vs night shift of a previous company I was working for.

I agree that sports can look appealing, but I am too cheap to pursue anything serious photographically.

OMG I watch almost everything. Ice hockey (aka hockey) can be hard to follow on TV because of the small puck. That's much easier when you're there.

My priority list would be football (the real football, where the ball actually gets kicked around all the time), handball, basketball, hockey.

The more you watch a specific team, the more you get into it. You get to know the players a bit, you see their strengths and weaknesses and scoring a last minute goal in an away game at your godforsaken useless bunch of arch rivals can be pretty bonding :D It is kind of like a soap opera, you don't want to miss the next episode...

I'll surely have spent a house worth of money in sports when I'm old. No regrets. I find it to be extremely rewarding; all the places I've seen and the people I met... sometimes you get kicked in the face but shit like that just happens.

Watching sports is where I can relax the most.

12 minutes ago, Busrider said:

I'm one of those who don't like watching. 

I don't understand

• Why I am supposed to emotionally bond with any team of strangers.
  • Why such health ruining BS like professional or Olympic level sports gets supported at all.

Sports should be fun! 

There is one soccer game I regret not having watched: late vs night shift of a previous company I was working for.

I agree that sports can look appealing, but I am too cheap to pursue anything serious photographically.

To try and help you understand, I think picking a team or athlete to support in sports is what helps you get excited in a sport. Normally the local team would be ideal for this. I can enjoy rugby union, but I have no interest in club level as I don't really pick a team to support, and probably couldn't watch a match. International matches are different as I'd love to see Scotland do well, and unlike football\soccer, the Rugby team are actually pretty decent and not an embarrassment to watch.

I got into NFL via attending local NFL Europe games when they were around but had little interest in the actual NFL. I did watch the Superbowl but it was cool, but it was just a night out. Now that I have an NFL team picked and somehow got the bond with, I watch every regular season week's games available here (Bar the really late ones) I really get into it, especially end of the season where you have to think of playoff scenarios to see your team get in are a big thing then makes other games so interesting too.

Yes loses are horrible and not fun, but if done right, even attending a game where there is a lose is so much fun. 2 memories stick to mind. I'm a Dolphins fan in the NFL and a few years ago, I went to London for the Dolphins v Jets game (rivalry game). Long story, short, Dolphins lost the game. I ended up with good memories still as I ended up bumping into an old friend who I at first thought was a random Jets fan going to mock me (confused a friend I was with who didn't know this old friend) whilst drowing my sorrows, and able to find a way to mock a random Jets fan who was preparing to mock me on the results, making his friends (naturals) laugh at the guy themselves. Couple years alter, I'm in Miami for Monday Night Football football, which ended in a Dolphins lose (so spent over £1000 to see that). But prematch activities, a wee bit of friendly banter I ended up forming with a opposition fan sitting next to me during the game, and the overall trip was just amazing that I can easily say that £1000 was well spent (other activities helped too).

I watched 2 games of my local football team (yes, the town has one). No regrets and watching was free since I live in soccer-land... But still: I can't get any appeal beyond dreaming myself behind a US$11K lens to hunt for shots.

Parents and friends were into watching soccer on TV. - I once ignored a national team  involving world championship game on a beamer playing chess in a pub. 

I suck at playing soccer but can have fun kicking a can with some kids. I wouldn't know what to take from TV sports to hone my (absence of) skills.

@Scott1989

I didn't realize that NFL had farm teams (is that what they are called?) in Europe. I wonder how popular they are there. I know there's a team in my city. I used to work with a guy who played in it.

@Knight of Cydonia

Come to think of it, there are several national types of fooball: US, Canadian, Gaelic (Irish), Australian... Rugby can be called "football" too, if I remember correctly.

As for my picks, I don't watch much sport nowadays, but if I were to take my past nterests into consideration, I'd pick football/soccer (nowadays I just check the results in the Internet, sometimes watch a game on TV), volleyball (the only team game I watched during the Olympics, although it's too fast-paced for me to be able to analyse it), and field hockey (I live close to a now-mostly-disused stadium and watched many gamed as an adolescent, including international tournaments. 

Also, I realise that many sports can be contested both as individual and team events, but I consciously decided to limit the choice to the typically-team ones. Feel free to the "other" option :)

17 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

@Scott1989

I didn't realize that NFL had farm teams (is that what they are called?) in Europe. I wonder how popular they are there. I know there's a team in my city. I used to work with a guy who played in it.

They use to between late 80s-mid 2000s but not anymore. Saying that teams still play in Europe but no NFL based orginisations. 

49 minutes ago, Scott1989 said:

To try and help you understand, I think picking a team or athlete to support in sports is what helps you get excited in a sport.

Usually it is the other way round. You get picked. One day you end up being dragged to some event and it turns out to be pretty cool... you start to watch a couple of home game highlights and they slowly become "your team"... then all the home games, along with some nearby away games... then all the games... suddenly you think "Oh, while I'm here at this away game venue, why not stay for another game of these two minor league teams that nobody has ever heard of"... and a couple of decades later, you're me :D (or not, depending on whether you manage to retain some sanity...)

Gentle Giant

Basketball is the only sport I like to watch. Otherwise I don't care for sports at all.

Grumpy Alien

I really hate sports

I chose baseball and not really liking sports, because while I like baseball, I don't make a habit of going to games or watching on TV, without other people. I'm not sure what about baseball appeals to me, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there's less to pay attention to at one time. With Soccer and Basketball and Football and probably other sports, you have to split your focus between who has the ball, who's getting set up for a pass or assist, what the defense is doing, ect. I could probably train myself to be better at taking in all that stuff, but I'm not all that into sports, so it just doesn't seem worth it.

Real Estate RICO

Basketball (good lord do I have to start going to more Hornets and 49ers games), hockey, baseball, soccer, boxing, and MMA (even though I've soured on the UFC quite a bit).

I used to be a giant football fan, but after how oversaturated, stale, and unwatchable the NFL has gotten, how NCAA D-I FBS is unwinnable by design if you're not in a Power 5 Conference, and how grown adults treat high schoolers as if they were pros, I've just been completely turned off by football.

Basketball, on the other hand.. NBA, NCAA, even The Basketball Tournament.. everything has some sort of intrigue/fun to it.

Hockey. I was a Kings STH for a while before they won their first Cup, and one season after that. Mostly because buying that season got me into all of the Cup run games. :D I was ridiculously broke by the end of it.

It's not really that I don't like watching sports, it's just that it simply doesn't interesting me. I just don't really have an opinion.

I'd rather play volleyball, for example, than watch it. Even if I'm kind of bad at it. :wacko: Still fun!

1 hour ago, Piotrek said:

@Ms. Wrench

What's STH?

season ticket holder

From that list, basketball, football, ice hockey, and volleyball. I also like watching lacrosse games. 

Soccer, rugby union, rugby league, cricket. Also Australian rules football, Gaelic football and hurling on TV, football and cricket as venue sports 

Futbol

I don't like watching sports, but if I had to choose, I'd chose baseball at a stadium.  At least at the stadiums near me, there are a ton f things to do therethat don't involve baseball, so I can distract myself when I inevitably get bored with the game

I'm suprised soccer is now ranked at no.1 in the poll ::o Given that the majority of the people here seems to come from countries where soccer is not no.1 (US, Canada, Australia) I expected it to lag behnd.

I usually hate watching sports, but I do sometimes enjoy watching hockey (also the only sport I like to play) and baseball.

I chose 'other' because the two sports that will keep me riveted to a television -particularly during the Olympics- are:

1) Ice skating (pretty much all, singles, pairs etc...) 

2) Gymnastics (mostly women's)

Archived