Do people know you are Asexual in real life?

Soldier455

I've tried to explain this to several people, but they always dismiss the subject altogether. For example, a close friend of mine simply believes I need to "fall in love" (i.e., a demisexual), which is absurd. My family has basically said the same thing as my friend, only stated differently. I've given up trying to persuade anyone to believe me. I just do what I want to do instead -- or, in this instance, avoid doing what I don't want to do.

I've stated many times to my friends that I consider a relationship a business agreement before anything else and that I only want a relationship to double the resources 2 people work with.  In essence you can afford twice the car, or twice the house with 2 incomes than with one.  I find this more interesting than companionship or sex.  They have always said "fair enough" and let me do my thing.

My closest friends do, although they think I just haven't found the right person yet. My family doesn't know, and frankly I don't think I'll be telling them any time soon because I don't want to have to explain it, confuse them, or get told that it's just a phase!

I don't often have a reason to discuss this in real life with people since I really don't have any friends. My family doesn't have a need to know either since its easier to just let them think that I'm a "decent christian they raised me to be". I've only told my boyfriend about it and that's it though I've known that I was asexual for quiet some time now so I even told my ex before him so that's kinda about it.

I came out to two friends today after one of them noticed my ring and asked about it. Their reaction, after a moment of silence to process it, was "Well, I guess it's like chocolate. A lot of people like it, but some people just don't." Not too bad, I suppose, but the whole thing left me feeling like I walked naked through the town on market day. I don't think I'll be doing it again any time soon.

• 5 months later...
Dark Heart

In general, I'm a pretty private person - I always feel awkward when talking about sex or my preferences. When I first started to identify as Bi-romantic Ace a couple months ago, I told my oldest brother - he's in an alternative relationship, so I wasn't worried about his reaction (actually found out that his partner is Ace). I told one of my friends, and she was really supportive.

Today I told my parents my labels -  something I've been debating for a couple weeks. Before this, I slowly made them aware of my preferences in a "if this happened, how would you feel" kind of way, and their general response was that they just wanted me to be happy (my mom added the stipulation that if I have a female partner, she would rather I not display affection when in her presence). The only reason I hesitated was because I didn't really see the point in giving them labels when they already knew the meaning behind the labels.

I have yet to tell either of my other siblings or more of my friends.

I'll probably tell more of the people who are close to me as the chance arrives - could take weeks or months or years...we'll see.

Very few people know I'm asexual. Both my parents, my best friend, and three of my college friends are the only ones that know. Even fewer know that I'm biromantic, only my mom and best friend know that one as of now and I plan on telling my one college friend soon. The problem is that most people don't really know what being biromantic exactly means and assume that it's basically the same as being bisexual, which is definitely not the case.

Aroace_bookworm

My rule for coming out is that they have to guess my sexual/romantic orientation. (Because i'm to lazy to explain) So far, three people have guessed. One is also ace/grayromantic (Which i can't believe there's two of us, there's only 150 people at my school, what are the chances?) and the other two are straight allosexuals, who guessid it as 'the thing where you don't like anyone." Pretty close....

A few select people that I knew in high school know as well as last semester's Public Speaking class knows. Though, if it hadn't been for that professor giving me the encouragement to go ahead with that speech, I probably wouldn't have.

Ms. Carolynne

Two people know explicitly, because a friend poked fun at my lack of relationships, and happened to label me as such, and I stated that I actually am. My brother was there when it happened.

Another person may know, because I beat around the bush. They asked me whether there were any pretty girls in my life, I said no, they asked why not, I said I don't care.

It doesn't really come up much for me, otherwise more people would know. If it's pertinent, I don't have any qualms mentioning it.

Only two people know. The rest are completely clueless and i'm not looking at making an announcement anytime soon. I am in a relationship with a sexual person and i guess that's enough for them to make any assumptions they want. 

Asexuality is not that well-known in my circles either. I hang out with a lot of "traditional" sexual/straight people and the last thing i want is curious questions about my intimate life (or the lack of it even) 

It's not that they bother me, and if it wasn't for the other person in the relationship i wouldn't mind them asking but i want to respect his privacy as well.

Only my sister knows, IRL. Most of my internet friends know, and I intend to tell the folks I go to PAX with every year.

I’ve told a bunch of my close friends about being on the aro/ace spectrum and explained how the particular labels I identify with work. A lot of them are LGBT+ themselves, and I’ve been super lucky that they’re all so accepting.

My family knows I’m not straight, but I’ve never really talked to them about it. I’m not worried about how they’d react or anything, I’ve just never brought it up. Every so often my parents will joke about crushes or “when I have a boyfriend” and my sister will try to figure out who I have a crush on or who I’m dating (which don’t really apply to me...). I don’t find it that hard to explain my sexuality to my friends, but I guess I don’t want to have to teach my family who I am, if that makes sense. As of right now I don’t know if I’m going to talk to them about it, but my friends are all super supportive.

No, nobody I know in real life knows I'm Ace. Most people just think I'm weird. But that cool with me 😼 

atticus_the_porg

I am mostly out. All of my friends and family know. I avoid telling strangers and acquaintances because...well it never comes up. However if someone asked me I would tell them. Most of the time I just tell people I'm queer and leave it at that unless they ask me to elaborate.  

Archived