Article: "'A' is for Asexual: Erasing the Asexual Orientation"

WinterWanderer

bluejeanjirl

My only comment is that I was relieved to find Aven, thanks to a very perceptive friend who I have never met in person.... she recognized me from what I posted on Facebook.... I have no idea.....  anyway, ..... it was a relief to find a community here on Aven.....  

Great article! thanks for sharing it!

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

Great article indeed. 

Luftschlosseule

Thank you for sharing!

Divide By Zero

Excellent article!

I really like the image at the beginning with the "ace" in embrace in purple. That is awesome!

I like this article. It's really clear and concise and I think might help a lot of people work out their identity, or otherwise work as allies for us.

Great article! It's always annoyed me that people say that A is for Ally. Analogy: Allies are not part of the black community, no matter how much they champion BlackLivesMatter. Of course, allies should be included in queer spaces, because it'sall about inclusivity, and many people identify as allies before they come out! But still, you're not black because you support the movement for the rights of black people, it just makes you a decent person. The same goes for allies of queer people. I know that some people take ally-ship above and beyond, but it doesn't make you queer, in the same way it doesn't make you black. 

This may have sounded a bit harsh, but you get my point. In the end, we're all weird and queer and wonderful, but the way it is now, there is sadly a separation between queer people and non-queer people. 

ugh, honestly this article (and this sort of discussion) bugs me.  it's fine with me if people want to identify as lgbtq+ and/or queer (i mean, i do on some level(s)) but i'm so done with aces whining about not being included in those communities and using that as evidence for their supposed "victimization" as asexuals.

17 hours ago, warrigan said:

ugh, honestly this article (and this sort of discussion) bugs me.  it's fine with me if people want to identify as lgbtq+ and/or queer (i mean, i do on some level(s)) but i'm so done with aces whining about not being included in those communities and using that as evidence for their supposed "victimization" as asexuals.

i think the idea is that awareness allows fellow asexuals to not feel "broken" -- by learning that it's a thing, that others feel the way they do, etc.

Awesome article!!! 

Middle Earth Marauder

These sorts of articles fuel the spark that had me joining AVEN in the first place. The real irony is that the kind of arguments used against asexual inclusion in the LGBTQ is often parroted from the old arguments against the accepted alignments in the acronym- "You just don't understand yourself yet" "It's not a sexuality it's a choice". Like geez, okay, so much for empathy, just chill bro have some cake.

On 6/12/2017 at 7:11 PM, zbot108 said:

i think the idea is that awareness allows fellow asexuals to not feel "broken" -- by learning that it's a thing, that others feel the way they do, etc.

and i'm all for awareness!  i'm saying that there are those aces who pull out the fact that they're not included in things like lgbtq+ awareness campaigns as proof of the fact that they're marginalized in society, and i don't buy it.

aces that try to participate in the so-called oppression olympics as a way to prove they belong in the lgbtq+/queer communities are never going to "win" for the simple fact that we don't actually face oppression.

Archived