Weird things you did as a kid, FOOD edition.

Yatogami

2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I'd eat dry muesli, as even as a child I hated the smell and taste of milk 

I always put mustard on boiled potatoes 

I always eat my cereals dry as even if now I can drink a bit of milk I don't like when they get soft ... and milk stink :P

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

When i was maybe 1 going on 2....Thought sweet onions were apples...... Never again.

I liked ketchup too much

Used to eat play doh all the time without getting sick. Got away with eating one of those mini tubs of them. It was fun to play with and to eat

SamwiseLovesLife

I'd eat toast face on. Like the middle of the buttered toast in my mouth, the rest all over my face

I used to eat cereal out of my pectus excavatum, I still would but...hairs...

It still provides a useful cup holder mind ^_^

I posted this on Confessions Corner, but this has been one of the many.

My first cooking experience was cooking penne and using ketchup as pasta sauce for a mock picnic with my sister and cousins by the driveway under the shade of the then-in-season watery rose apple tree (tambis). Complete with picnic basket and mat and all. I was 7 at that time.

Another thing was I used to eat the powdered tamarind soup mix straight out of the pack by dipping my wet finger on the powder. And also dipping sliced calamansi onto salt before squeezing the fruit to get its sour and salty juice.

I was such a weirdo back then.

Autumn Season

I made a sandwich with nutella, sweetened condensed milk and possibly something else. You know, combine all the yummy things into one most delicious thing! (It was disgusting.)

I ate tea spoons of sweetened condensed milk.

I liked to combine as much as i could into one big pile so i could eat quicker and get back to whatever cool thing i was doing before. Saved a lot of time, didnt always taste great. 

I liked ranch dressing as a kid so much that I'd eat it without vegetables or anything to dunk in sometimes.. 

not so much eating, but, when my parents made warm wine in winter, I'd go into the kitchen, stand by the pot and just smell it... 

when eating lasagna as a kid, I'd mix it all together in such a way that it no longer looked like lasagna, but instead like a big pile of unidentifiable, kinda solid, heap of something.. and then I'd eat it, after it no longer looked like lasagna.. 

Take slices of browncheese and put jam on them. Then roll the slices to round cigar like things and eat them. Just keep the delicious parts and keep out the bread :P

I used to set fire to chocolate digestive biscuits then eating them (after putting out the fire :P).

Also I went through a phase when I was about 16 where my favourite snack was toast with loads of (unmelted) margarine and ground cinnamon. 

11 hours ago, Aarineko said:

I used to eat sweet waffles microwaved with cheese and ham... it wasn't bad just a bit weird :P

Sweet waffles with meat and cheese sounds great. That basically sounds like a less processed version of a "McGriddle," a breakfast sandwich from McDonalds. Not that I ever eat fast food anymore, but when I used to, I really liked that one.

Cheese + sweet is not as gross of a combination as many people think. Cheesecake works, right? I like chunks of cheddar with chocolate bars. 

I would sit by my mum's herb garden and just eat chives and parsley. 

I also enjoyed snacking on dry spaghetti and oatmeal.

And of course the time I completely misinterpreted the phrase "cake of soap" and assumed soap would taste like cake... that was the worst!

AwkwardAxolotl

I once made a sandwich that I'm pretty sure no one else has ever made (probably because everyone else had more sense than me). It had bread, butter, ketchup, cheese, pickles (whole pickles), carrots (entire baby carrots), strawberry jam, and mayonnaise. It was the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten, but I ate the whole thing. I was trying to prove some sort of point to my parents, though I can't remember what. I think all I ended up proving was that I'm incredibly stubborn, and have an iron stomach.

I made this thing that i called poor folks pizza: put ketchup on a saltine cracker top with mozzarella cheese, microwave for 30 seconds and violla! 

AspieAngel

If you want to know what my relationship with food was as a child, just listen to George Carlin's Fussy Eater (below). My food was not permitted to touch one another or I would not eat it. The only exception was mashed spuds and corn. I do not know why but I am still the same way at 50 :blush:

Spoiler

Someone recently got me to try a peanut butter and marshmallow creme sandwich. Wasn't bad My menu was limited as a child due to food allergies. I've out grown most of them now.

Oh, man, all the weird food concoctions my brother and I used to make as kids/teens

One such was our bean and cheese burrito + Mac n' cheese casserole. Just cook some kraft mac n cheese while microwaving some frozen burritos. When both were done, cut up the burritos and mix 'em into the mac n cheese, voila, instant awesomeness.

Man, those were some good times, makes me wanna do some more. We always made good blends.

15 hours ago, Lucidus said:

Sweet waffles with meat and cheese sounds great. That basically sounds like a less processed version of a "McGriddle," a breakfast sandwich from McDonalds. Not that I ever eat fast food anymore, but when I used to, I really liked that one.

Cheese + sweet is not as gross of a combination as many people think. Cheesecake works, right? I like chunks of cheddar with chocolate bars. 

I really like cheese and sweet too... Like goatcheese and honey ;)

I also don't eat fastfood anymore ... We don't have breakfast at McDonald's here :P

Cheese and sweet additions = delicious! Think of blue cheese with honey, and others with various spreads... mmm.

This was my brother, not me, but he basically went a year when he was 2 or 3 where the only thing he'd eat was his meal of "bread and sausage" -- which was a boiled hot dog, plain and without bun, and a piece of untoasted white bread with mayonnaise on it. EW.

Used to dip my fries in mustard. It was alright from what I recall, but I'm not trying it again. xD

Not me but my mom likes to put Italian dressing on her pasta. That already has pasta sauce on it.

YukiTheAce

I ate sausages and I my dip wasn´t ketchup or something my dip was coca cola , so befor I ate it I put it in my cola glass:D:D

Still to this day, I eat cold pickled herring filets (in wine sauce, VITA brand) on toasted bread, then with american sliced cheese on top, then microwaved enough to take the chill off and melt the cheese.

Don't hate it till you try it. Sweet, tangy, and filling.

I did a lot of strange food-related things. I put mustard on watermelon and dipped my grapes in BBQ sauce. I once tried to make a smoothie, but we were out of soy milk so I used soy sauce. Needless to say most of my cooking "experiments" turned out terribly. I also ate oranges without peeling the rind off.

In addition, My sister and I had little shot glasses and we would take "shots" of vinegar, pickle juice, lemon juice, and soy or teriyaki sauce. 

SorryNotSorry

I liked to eat anchovies straight from the can, when I could get 'em. Still do.

I had a limitless appetite for chocolate when I was a boy. To this day, I have no idea how much chocolate I can eat without feeling sick.

there was a short period of time were I would but peanut butter in the microwave to melt it, and then put it on bread... I'm not sure why I did it... it really just made a mess... after awhile when I came to the conclusion that it didn't taste better, just because I spent an extra minute or so making it, I returned to non melted peanut butter.. 

there were these pizza lunchables, that were a bread like thing, tomato sauce and cheese, and you'd make little cold pizzas, well, I had a very specific way of making them. I didn't like tomato sauce much, but I really liked cheese, so the first had most of the tomato sauce, and very little cheese, the second had less tomato sauce and little cheese, and the third had a tiny bit of tomato sauce and just a giant pile of cheese.. 

Spoiler

17-problems-only-lunchables-kids-will-un

also for a long time I had a rule when making sandwiches: if the sandwich had meat and cheese on it, then the cheese is always on top/closer to the center, furthest from the butter or bread... I still follow that rule, but I now just do it because why not, it's how I've done it for years, but when I was 11ish I was very strict about, to the point were I would not eat the sandwich if it was not in the right order.. 

fatal flower-boy

I used to dip my pizza crust in milk

best thing ever <3

I had an obsession with anything fermented/ vinegary tasting when I was a kid: super old cheese, vinegar, pickle brine... I used to like my sandwiches with about a quarter of a bottle of mustard on them and my fries sopping with vinegar. I used to sneak gulps of plain pickle brine because my mum always said no when I asked to drink it.

Another weird thing when I was really little was I didn't like any sauce of any kind on anything, and that included maple syrup on pancakes. I only liked butter. What kind of monster doesn't like maple syrup??

Cheddar cheese on graham crackers, spoonfuls of peanut butter (especially with chocolate chips), spoonfuls of honey, spoonfuls of sprinkles (im sensing a trend), 

Still do most of this, though not regularly, which is unfortunate, since it's all good. 

dragon_nerd

Pickled onions dipped in HP sause 

6 hours ago, SaturnOOO said:

I used to sneak gulps of plain pickle brine because my mum always said no when I asked to drink it.

^Pickle brine is worse for your liver than alcohol.

It is very nice though...

Archived