Weird things you did as a kid, FOOD edition.

Yatogami

3 hours ago, SallyBlackwater said:

When I was a child, I used to eat only square pizzas. For some reason, round pizzas made with the same ingredients weren't appealing to me D:

I'm the inverse. I think a lot of that is the breading tends to be very different.

One of my parental units insists that i drank ketchup out of a bottle. This is something I do not remember.

Wow, this thread is still going?  Let's see, when I was a kid I almost ate a snail that had hijacked his way into the kettle cooking the swiss chard.

On June 16, 2017 at 11:03 AM, XYZ96 said:

as a kid, I'd eat clover flowers if I saw them.. 

Reveal hidden contents

265980_286243_1358753802.jpg 

^these things

I use to eat those all the time, you gotta pluck the petals and bite the stem

SorryNotSorry

Maybe it's not that weird, but I referred to foods by derogatory names if I didn't like them.

I referred to beef as "barf"... being a kid, and because my elder family members believed kids lacked souls, it was ok to give them the fattiest, toughest, most gristly ends of beef. But calling it "barf" didn't go over too well in a household with family members who made it through the Depression living on bitter greens.

I took an instant hatred to potatoes au gratin, which I called "potatoes aw, rotten". This caused my mother to screech and make a homicidal face at me. She definitely had a sadistic streak, because she kept forcing the damn things on me for a few more years. I still hate them.

Likewise soup... when this particular concoction was forced upon me, I used to say "soup is poop!" (See mother's reaction above.) This was an especial slap in the face to my fam because they believed soup—any knd of soup—cured everything from bad eyesight to terminal cancer, but all it ever did to me was give me raging heartburn.

So yeah, my kidhood was marred by 18 years of gustatory misadventures.

ChillaKilla

Open and eat cans/jars of beans, olives, pickles at a time :D 

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

I used to constantly get sick of foods which mum put in lunches, and end up hiding away the half eaten sandwiches in the backs of drawers in my room till they became stale...or worse :( so now I can't handle the sight of mould :P

SpaceAceMicah

For a good 3 months the only thing I would eat was a 'ketchup sandwich'. It was a peice of untoasted bread covered in a thick layer of ketchup and folded in half. I would eat at least 5 of these a day.

I also use to eat microwave meals straight out of the freezer. Especially frozen mac & cheese and frozen pancakes/waffles.

Then there was the rule that none of my food could ever touch each other. 

The Terrible Travis

I used to dip my pretzels in steak sauce.

SorryNotSorry
On July 24, 2017 at 4:50 PM, AliceAbernathy said:

One of my parental units insists that i drank ketchup out of a bottle. This is something I do not remember.

Family members can be champion grudge holders.

On 25/07/2017 at 3:42 PM, Space_Ace_Disgrace said:

Then there was the rule that none of my food could ever touch each other. 

This isn't weird, it's reasonable.

SorryNotSorry
15 hours ago, BionicPi said:

This isn't weird, it's reasonable.

Not if you're that sadistic parent who enjoys using food to torture your kids.

On 6/18/2017 at 7:55 PM, mackey said:

Pop was "too spicy" and I didn't like the taste of "meat" LOL

*"Soda," for all the confused Americans!

Hahaha! You sound like you're from the southern United States. As a southern girl, I should know.

And there are healthy meats like wild game (low in fat, high in protein), grass-fed beef, acorn finished pork, and oily fish.

J. van Deijck
On 1.6.2017 at 5:46 AM, NerotheReaper said:

I used to eat bread and dip pieces into ketchup, don't know why though :D 

same xD

also, I've tried cat food. not so tasty :P

On 25/07/2017 at 4:45 PM, ChillaKilla said:

Open and eat cans/jars of beans, olives, pickles at a time :D 

Cans and jars like that are just waiting to be finished! :P No olives, gherkins, around new years' time rollmops(it's a kind of way of preserving fish or something? Around new year's eve mum would do the Scandinavian smorgasbord thing and we'd have rie bread with cream cheese and toppings like rollmops, salmon, gherkins, peppers, boiled eggs on them), beetroots, chutneys, jams were safe from me :o okay so the eating chutney or jam out of the jar thing was a little more irregular :P

Though I did have a phase of just squeezing ketchup/BBQ sauce onto my finger and eating it...that stuff is addictive.

ChillaKilla
6 hours ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

Though I did have a phase of just squeezing ketchup/BBQ sauce onto my finger and eating it...that stuff is addictive.

Omg I still do that in restaurants that have a bunch of different BBQ bottles at the table :lol:

2 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

Omg I still do that in restaurants that have a bunch of different BBQ bottles at the table :lol:

RIIIIGHT!? :D

ChillaKilla
5 minutes ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

RIIIIGHT!? :D

Like, don't judge me man, I'm just trying out the flavors! :lol: 

white crayon

I used to eat onion grass (ew, what was I thinking) and once I tried to pop a single kernel of popcorn in the microwave. I'm lucky it didn't blow up on me!

1 hour ago, ChillaKilla said:

Like, don't judge me man, I'm just trying out the flavors! :lol: 

Seriously though, I WAS way worse with chutneys: I bought some fancy "real ale" chutney with fruit and stuff while at a castle on a trip out, thinking I'd have it on sandwiches...NOPE! Half of it was eating without ever touching a slice of bread :D  ;)

As a kid I used to eat a couple of salty pickles before drinking chocolate milk so that the saltiness on my tongue intensifies the taste of it.  I would eat them together all the time.

Also, eating the white rind part on the skin of oranges after I eat the flesh.  I still do this one lmao  *goes to eat oranges*

Archived