Weird things you did as a kid, FOOD edition.

Yatogami

I used to be very particular about how my sandwiches or waffles (I ate waffles with peanut butter) were smeared.. so much so, when my parents would make my breakfast, I'd often have to take it back to the kitchen and redo it.. the peanut butter had to be evenly smeared from side to side and completely covering the top side...  hmm.. I'm still like that actually, but I used to be much more extreme... 

as a kid I ate my cheeseburger with ranch dressing instead of ketchup.. tasted better.. 

at lunch time in elementary school I ate my dessert first because (and this was explanation), what if a tornado formed outside or just above the cafeteria and I then never got to eat my pudding or puppy chow or whatever was for dessert that day... 

SorryNotSorry

When I was 11, one of the neighbors down the street threw out a bunch of stuff. One of the things I picked out from it (and still have) was a 1976 travel guide to Tokyo. Inside it was an illustration of how to hold chopsticks, and I learned from that. 

I was the only one in the family who ate spaghetti with chopsticks. This never failed to make my grandmother glare angrily at me from across the table. I suspect this was partly due to envy, because she had neither the motor acuity to learn to use chopsticks, nor the smarts to realize how practical it was. My mother lacked that degree of motor acuity too, but she never made a fuss about my choice of utensils as long as it wasn't my fingers.

Oh, and when I was 8, I taught myself how to belch, and I enjoyed doing it at the table when I could get away with it.

I could write an entire essay based on things I did as a kid with food! And I still can and will combine weird things and try to somehow make it taste good. Especially since the contents of the fridge can get very limited between grocery trips.

I dipped a french fry in one of those Wendy's frosty treats once. XD

13 hours ago, XYZ96 said:

I used to be very particular about how my sandwiches or waffles (I ate waffles with peanut butter) were smeared.. so much so, when my parents would make my breakfast, I'd often have to take it back to the kitchen and redo it.. the peanut butter had to be evenly smeared from side to side and completely covering the top side...  hmm.. I'm still like that actually, but I used to be much more extreme... 

as a kid I ate my cheeseburger with ranch dressing instead of ketchup.. tasted better.. 

at lunch time in elementary school I ate my dessert first because (and this was explanation), what if a tornado formed outside or just above the cafeteria and I then never got to eat my pudding or puppy chow or whatever was for dessert that day... 

lol I would have done some of the same things you did. Like eating a burger with ranch dressing XD

On 6/17/2017 at 3:20 PM, Pepperoni said:

I refused to each ketchup, chicken nuggets, tomatoes, and anything orange.

Lol sounds interesting.

I would refused to eat anything that looked old or dry or had bad smell. My family likes eating papayas and those fruits smell SO bad. Yet they taste good. XD

56 minutes ago, K0@labear said:

Lol sounds interesting.

I would refused to eat anything that looked old or dry or had bad smell. My family likes eating papayas and those fruits smell SO bad. Yet they taste good. XD

I don't know why your response reminded me of this but I also hated the texture of beans and would swallow them whole like pills whenever my parents made them part of a meal. 

14 minutes ago, Pepperoni said:

I don't know why your response reminded me of this but I also hated the texture of beans and would swallow them whole like pills whenever my parents made them part of a meal. 

Maybe because they're round shaped?

I didn't have pop*, hamburgers, or hotdogs until I was an adult (doctor parents, we were sheltered...) so anytime I went to a birthday party where these items were being served, I turned my nose up at them like a tiny vegan hippy and opted for veggies and water instead. Pop was "too spicy" and I didn't like the taste of "meat" LOL

*"Soda," for all the confused Americans!

This is something that started sometime when I was young, and still do sometimes. I have a weird preference for food to be cold. Hot food that is.

Is there a normal "Weird things you did as a kid thread?" And could someone please link it to me? Thanks.

Bonus weird food things: I peeled my bananas from the "wrong side" (from the bottom part)

-I didn't like rice krispy treats (still don't) but every halloween this neighbor gave rice krispy treats. I would trade them to my friends in exchange for like 6 kit kats in value. (We had MASSIVE candy trading parties every halloween)

-I also thought sour cream was frosting one time so I spread it on a cookie. To this day I hate sour cream.

-I also thought that I could use a microwave. I ended up disentigrating a cinnamon roll.

-I also tried roasting chocolate instead of marshmellows. Apparently little me did not understand how fire works.

-I didn't (and still don't) like salad dressing or salad sauces of any sort; I just eat the vegetables plain.

-I thought eating ham gave me good luck when playing DS games. I honestly don't know how I could ever think this.

I liked eating freeze dried apples because it made me feel like an astronaut. I still like freeze dried food to this day.

CW but I've had an eating disorder since I was pretty young so my eating habit have always been a little off. :P

- I once refused to eat anything but cheese cubes and apple slices for like a month. Made me sick btw, 0/10, do not recommend.

- Didn't, and still don't, like canned vegetables. Steamed and fresh only, canned was/is gross af.

On 6/7/2017 at 5:39 PM, Maou-sama said:

Still to this day, I eat cold pickled herring filets (in wine sauce, VITA brand) on toasted bread, then with american sliced cheese on top, then microwaved enough to take the chill off and melt the cheese.

Don't hate it till you try it. Sweet, tangy, and filling.

My comfort food is pickled herring-straight from the jar. If I want to call it a meal I add lightly toasted bread and butter or crackers. I am not a fan of the onions.

We call it Solomon gundy here, no idea why.

21 hours ago, StormySky said:

Is there a normal "Weird things you did as a kid thread?" And could someone please link it to me? Thanks.

there is, but it's gotten old and I'm not sure if it'd count as tread-necromancy, so you might just want to make a new and fresh one... 

but here's the link anyways (it was on the 10th page, so...) 

Spoiler

I used to really not like tomato sauce, so in the cafeteria in 6th grade (and up till 9th or 10th grade) I would ask for 2-4 drops of tomato sauce, the cafeteria lady was really nice and did her best to only give me the 2-4 drops :D ... 

2 minutes ago, XYZ96 said:

there is, but it's gotten old and I'm not sure if it'd count as tread-necromancy, so you might just want to make a new and fresh one... 

but here's the link anyways (it was on the 10th page, so...) 

Hide contents

I used to really not like tomato sauce, so in the cafeteria in 6th grade (and up till 9th or 10th grade) I would ask for 2-4 drops of tomato sauce, the cafeteria lady was really nice and did her best to only give me the 2-4 drops :D ... 

Haha, my sister was also the same, saying "this many drops, any more and I cry. I guess I should remake the thread instead of bringing it back from the grave.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm technically under 18 which means I'm still a child... right now I'm putting fruit mentos in Dr pepper to see if anything happens. It fizzes a little and makes the soda flat, no major result, lol. 

I used to eat black beans with sugar, dip my fries with ice cream, mix ketchup with mayonnaise (it's tradition in my country) or mustard, pasta sandwich, eat milk powder with sugar, etc

I once put condiments between different layers of cheese and ate it. Hot sauce seemed to work best. 

I also attempted to microwave a can of soup right from the pantry and ended up starting a fire. 

Oh yeah and that ONE time I thought that mixing coffee, orange juice, soda pop, and sugar was a good idea. As if THAT wasn't enough, I microwaved it for 30 seconds. And then I discovered that caffeine and chaos are highly linked in the case of an already enthusiastic 10 year old.

charliechipz

Between the ages of about 7-8 I ate everything with mayonnaise. And I mean everything. I put it on ice cream, cereal, bananas, and pretty much any other type of food you could name. Like... ewww. Why the heck did I do this? 

• 2 weeks later...

When I was 7-8 and my family would get KFC we'd always have leftover gravy that sat in the fridge. For some reason I would take some and roll it up in a flour tortilla and eat that for a snack. The worst part is I don't think I would even microwave it. I can't even think about it now without feeling sick now. 

My sister and I used to do "food challenges" where we each choose strange ingredients and make something with them then make the other person eat them. The goal was not to become nauseous.

On 6/18/2017 at 4:34 PM, K0@labear said:

I dipped a french fry in one of those Wendy's frosty treats once. XD

I still do that occasionally. It's pretty good.

My little brother and I were into the Land Before Time series.

We would get leaves (ones that look like the Canadian flag), wash they off, and then coat them with sugar.

SorryNotSorry
On June 18, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Pepperoni said:

Your house must have smelled real good.

I think beans are an "set-up" food. Parents feed beans to their kids because they know beans will make the kids fart, then the parents can get a kick out of scolding the kids for farting.

As a boy, I LOVED breaded shrimp, and I still do. I still eat them tails and all. Everyone else in my family found this shocking and quite improper.

SallyBlackwater

When I was a child, I used to eat only square pizzas. For some reason, round pizzas made with the same ingredients weren't appealing to me D:

As a kid, I ate frozen Ego waffles straight from the freezer. Especially the chocolate chip kind.

SorryNotSorry
2 hours ago, SallyBlackwater said:

When I was a child, I used to eat only square pizzas. For some reason, round pizzas made with the same ingredients weren't appealing to me D:

That's a perfect example of being a picky eater vs. being a taster. (Dave B, I hope you're reading this.)

Archived