I think I'm in love.

catkid

Which is weird, because I thought I was aromantic. It's so strange! I've never been in love before, so I can't tell. I've been looking it up, and this seems like a common thing among asexuals. I've know this girl for a long time. She's my best friend. She's the first real best friend I've ever had. I don't know what to make of this. She started dating this guy, and it made me feel super anxious and sad. I'm usually much better at writing than this, but this is just so hard to structure and articulate. I want to be with her always. The thought of her liking someone else more than me hurts me, and I don't know what it means. Am I just scared that my first real best friend will leave me, or am I in love? People always say you'll know when you're in love, but that seems like a lot of bull to me. I do love her, but am I in love with her? There's gotta be some way to tell. 

The same thing is happening to me. I would be perfectly happy living with my best friend for the rest of my life, and I don't know what I would do if I wasn't living with her or within a short car ride away. I also don't know what I would do or feel like if she got a partner.. I feel safe and secure and at home in her presence. I don't know if I would call it romantic love. It is love for sure. I love her and would give up my life if it would save hers. I don't want us to be separated. I feel like true love for me is not getting butterflies and feeling anxious, but feeling right at home. I feel like for me as an asexual, the rest of the attractions I have left sometimes can be hard to distinguish. Most of the time, I don't worry myself about which one I am feeling. I start out as friends, and if the opportunity comes to take it further, and it feels right to do so, then I will. I wish you the best of luck~ If you need to rant or talk about it I am here for ya~ Stay happy my friend~

This sounds more like platonic love than romantic love. Can you imagine being in a romantic relationship with her? If not, then it can still just as easily be love, only of a different kind. Good luck with all.

I feel like this is more of a jealousy kind of thing. I remember when one of my friends started talking to some girl I kept worrying about how it made me feel when he would stand me up to go do something with her or talk with her etc etc. I mean, you could be in love with your friend -- a lot of people tend to not realize that they like someone until they see them with someone else -- but it doesn't seem like that is the case. I could be wrong, I'm not an expert here lol

It's just that, sometimes I feel like my feelings could be holding her back. We've both said we wouldn't mind spending our lives together, but she's romantic, and has dated in the past. I feel like asking her to spend forever with me without having anything but my friendship to offer would be like shackling her down. I've had to let go of people I had strong attachments too in the past, so I can do that in a healthy way, I just... I keep thinking, "What's in it for her?" you know? I know she wouldn't say the things she says just to make me feel better - like, I know she means it, I just keep having stupid intrusive thoughts like "What if she starts to feel like I'm holding her back?" or "What if she wants to have something more romantic, and I can't give that to her?" and it just makes me so anxious. That song that sithgirlix posted is perfect. It really sums up how I feel. 

Archived