What identities have you used to describe yourself, which you no longer use?

Just Me!

What identities have you previously used to describe yourself, but discontinued using?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Previous sexual orientation (do not tick your current identity)

• Heterosexual
    • Homosexual
    • Bisexual
    • Pansexual
    • Polysexual
    • Demisexual
    • Skoliosexual
    • Autosexual
    • Asexual/grey-A
    • Other
    • I have always used the same identity
  2. 2. Previous romantic orientation (do not tick your current identity)

• Heteroromantic
    • Homoromantic
    • Biromantic
    • Panromantic
    • Polyromantic
    • Demiromantic
    • Skolioromantic
    • Autoromantic
    • Aromantic
    • Other
  3. 3. Previous gender identity (do not tick your current identity)

• Cisgender
    • Transgender (FtM or MtF)
    • Agender
    • Bigender
    • Polygender
    • Pangender
    • Genderfluid
    • Genderflux
    • Demigender (demigirl, demiboy, et cetera)
    • Non-binary
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

I assumed that I was heterosexual. Now I'm happy NOT to tick that box in any surveys that ask.

Until I fell down the AVEN rabbit-hole, I didn't know anything about romantic orientations, or how they could be separated from sexual ones, so I never labelled myself at all. (I ticked 'other' because when I tried to leave the question blank, I got an answer is required message.) I'm almost certainly aromantic, but I don't spend much time thinking about it.

Sexual orientation: Always asexual, but I didn't know what to call it originally

Romantic orientation: I never knew "got" romance and still don't

Gender identity: First cisgender, then agender, and now that I've thought about it I question gender as a concept.

switched from some mixed/undecided gender thing that I never named anything to simply male, and dropped bi-/panromantic in favour or aromantic. 

1 minute ago, fiѕh said:

switched from some mixed/undecided gender thing that I never named anything to simply male, and dropped bi-/panromantic in favour or aromantic. 

but I wub you.

I had trouble with the first set of choices because for a long time I thought that "firgid" was the description for someone like me, so I picked "Other". But since I learned about asexuality, I have always identified as what I have below my avatar.

3 hours ago, fiѕh said:

giphy.gif

aw <3 :D just got me some giggles XD

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

I've always considered myself straight, but when I got into my mid teens, I identified as bi (privately).

It never bothered me too much, not too big on labels. Then I began looking into asexuality, and realised that was what I am.

Romantic orientation.... I considered myself lithromantic, but then I just went with "cakeromantic" XD

For me, labeling things just makes things more unnecessarily hard, so I just don't label myself anything unless I know for sure.

Past self:

Sexuality: Demisexual

Romantic: Heteroromantic

Now:

I'm an Aro-Ace Greygender person. Long story short for clarification by using bullet points.

• Learned differences between squishes and crushes - Changed my Heteromantic when some of my experiences matched those shared by fellow Aros.
  • Learned that I wasn't really demisexual due to not really being into sexual encounters... I don't have a libido... :/ Weird but true. That and I don't have sexual feelings for ANYONE... Long process of researching lead me to figure out I'm just plain Ace.
  • Research into gender identities helped me figure out I'm actually Greygender when I saw that term and it just "clicked" for me when I read the definition of what my gender REALLY was... It was a long process LOL that ended with me finally understanding myself more.
The Terrible Travis

I've always identified as asexual. I switched from identifying as heteroromantic to biromantic in 2014.

arekathevampyre

used to be :

- sexuality/romantic identity : questioning/straight/somewhat romo (crush only - turned out to be squishes) 

- gender identity : cisgender/tomboy(andro)

now I am :

- sexuality/romantic identity : aro ace 

- gender identity : agender (afab + lack of gender) 

Took me some years but it all came clear once I reached 18 , 2 years to confirm it all and I joined AVEN this year (3 Jan) at 20 .

I'm still not really 100% sure of this, but I'll post mine anyway.

Past:

sexual/romantic orientation: Ace,aro (I don't know where I got aro from. I thought I was ace because I never wanted to have sex because my private parts disgusted me.)

gender: Cisgender to demigirl (I thought demigirl fit because I didn't like being a girl that much)

Now:

Sexual/romantic orientation: Straight (gay if I'm actually trans), quoiromantic (I've only had a 'crush' on someone once, and I don't even know if it was a crush, but it was definitely a [painful] infatuation and obsession.)

Gender: confused cis girl/possible closeted trans boy probably along with anything that's not cis

I used to think I was bi romantic but grey romantic, but I realized I was actually homoromantic and grey-asexual. 

• 4 weeks later...

I identified as heterosexual (thinking I was just "normal"), then bisexual ("hey I'd actually also date girls"), then pansexual ("I guess I just don't care about gender at all"). Then I understood the difference between sexual and romantic orientation, leading me to my actual identity: panromantic and some kind of grey-ace.

As for my gender, I always identified as female and still mostly do.

heterosexual - because everyone is?

\/

homosexual

\/

confused

\/

pansexual

\/

confused

\/

NOTHING!!!

\/

"I just don't care"

\/

oh, ACE...

Confused romantic and friendship - Like a genius...

Nothing!

\/

Forced cisgender

\/

Transgender?

\/

Forced cisgender

\/

Gender-neutral

+

Non-binary

+

Genderqueer

+

Agender

+

Genderless

And that's it...

Sexual orientation:

I never actually used the terms heterosexual or straight to describe myself before. I mean, I guess I thought that I was straight in a way because I thought I was like everyone else? But I never really identified as that because I didn't think much about sexual orientation. That's until I heard about asexuality and thought it could apply to me. Then I wasn't sure and thought maybe I could be grey-A, but I sorted it all out and now I identify as asexual.

Romantic orientation:

I was aromantic before, then stuff happened and now I identify as grey-romantic/panromantic. I considered a bunch of other identities but this seems to fit the best.

Gender identity:

I was pretty sure I was cisgender when I was little, until puberty hit and nothing felt quite right but I didn't know what it was. Then I heard about genderqueer and nonbinary genders and everything made so much sense. I haven't changed since then.

Before discovering asexuality, I never doubted I were straight: I thought it was the only option if one did not feel attracted to the same sex. Hetero- or aromantic is still a bit confusing, but most likely heteroromantic (never had a relationship, but I think at least once a crush). I've always identified as female and I don't think it's likely to change.

(Although, if you ask my grandmother, a real woman is supposed to make it her priority to be attractive to men - and actually want to attract them, - so I guess I don't fit into the standards 100% after all :) )

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

Before I knew that asexuality existed or realized I was ace, I would've said I was straight simply because I'm heteroromantic even though I have always been disgusted by the idea of having sex.

• 2 weeks later...

Until I discovered asexuality I used to label myself as bi/pansexual and -romantic for a few years (hetero before that). Always used both, since I didn't want to bother with the whole 'does bi include non-binary or not' discussion. 

QueenOfTheRats

none. I have used the same for as long as i can remember.

• 6 months later...

@Just Me, Myself and...Zie?

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived