A-wondering about asexuality and me

Solovei

Hi all!

My name is... being withheld for safety reasons ;) 

I have never liked labels or at least, labelling myself... but over time (a lot of it spent celibate; not for religious or any other sort of reason, other than - I really didn't/don't feel the need, the drive. Actually, for a long time, I would hear friends and people in general talk about how they've gone months without sex and oh, god, it's so hard, I can't take it anymore... and I would think they were exaggerating or making it up. Because it had (and has) never felt to me like this. Ever), I've started wondering if I might not be - at least to a certain extent - on the spectrum, as it were (if there actually is one ;)). I haven't read much about asexuality, only a little bit, but due to a certain personal situation, I've decided I'd like to explore this part of human sexuality (and of me ;)) a bit more, among like-minded people...

But off the top of my rather ignorant in this area head, I think might consider myself at least somewhat asexual (though I came across an expression in this same forum, "sensual attraction" which just felt - THIS. This is me) and romantic (though not so much in the *other* sense of the word, the only one most people know)

Well, that wasn't much of a introductory post (and was rather incoherent), but I was never good at them. Basically - am here to learn a bit, see where it helps, maybe learn a bit about myself and, who knows, maybe make some new virtual friends :blush:

Welcome to AVEN!

If you haven't checked it out already, I would suggest that you might be interested in the AVENwiki http://wiki.asexuality.org/Main_Page. I would also recommend Julie Sondra Decker's book The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality as a good resource. And to address one point you raise, while not everyone uses the phrase, it is fairly common to talk about asexuality in terms of a spectrum that encompasses gray-asexuality and demisexuality.

Have fun exploring the forums!

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! This is a great place to learn more about yourself and make virtual friends!!! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Archived