Using your European cell phone in Madrid

Isaac

Good news for AVENites coming from Europe to Madrid on WorldPride dates. The European Union has banned abusive roaming fares from June 15, so you’ll be able to call from Madrid with your home fare. I knew the news from my phone company in Spain, but the converse is also true, which will be very useful for WorldPride dates in Madrid. See The Guardian for further details. As this includes both voice and data, it could be a great help for Europeans visiting Spain. Notice that this includes the UK, as far as Brexit is still not accomplished. The only restriction is a clause of fair use, which considers abusive stays over 4 months, so your regular phone use in your short visit to Madrid will be fair use.

• 5 weeks later...

Thinking about the new roaming conditions, I realized that phone calls between a British cellphone in Madrid and a Spanish cellphone in Spain could be, reading strictly the EU conditions, as expensive as if the British cellphone remained in Britain. The Spanish phone would call a foreign number and would be charged as so. The British phone would be applied the fares as if it remained in Britain, so it would be also calling a foreign number. I can check it with my phone company, but I would recommend texting instead of calling from and to non-Spanish numbers, so I consider a good idea the Telegram group that was created in this thread, since phone data have the home fare for Europeans in Madrid.

Archived