New to asexuality

Trigona

Hi: I am new to the group. I have just recently been introduced to the concept of someone being asexual through a friends Facebook post and am still trying to figure things out. I'm not sure if my recent introduction is because asexuality does not get as much attention as other LGBTQIA+ groups or because of the culture I grew up in. I think I may be demisexual and gray-aromantic. I have really only felt sexual or romantic attraction or desire towards one person and the sexual attraction took more than a year to develop. I just discovered the concept of asexuality recently. I grew up in Christian purity culture and have been sexually assaulted, sexually harassed and stalked so previously I thought that I might be “broken.”

Louise McBear

Hey, welcome to the website!

Yeah, annoyingly asexuality is one of the more invisible sexualities, particularly when you get to the other ace/aro-spec identities. I'm glad you were able to find out about it now though!

Here, it's customary to give cake to people joining for the first time, so here you go:

tumblr_inline_o6nljkO5Go1tt63u1_500.png

Enjoy!

Welcome. :cake:

Welcome Trigona! Sorry to hear those things happened to you. I hope you can find support here that at least lets you see there are good things still out here for you! Have a piece of cake! :cake:!

chair jockey

While bad experience and trauma can be a factor, orientation usually runs a lot deeper than that. Taking a year to develop sexual attraction to your partner strongly suggests demisexuality, but we're not allowed to choose someone else's identity for them. :)

Welcome to AVEN and enjoy your time here.

Welcome to AVEN! :cake: Thank you for joining and introducing yourself! I'm glad you found your way here. : ) Asexuality isn't as well known as other sexualities, that's for sure. I hadn't heard of it until a few years ago...and I wish I'd known about it sooner. But you're here now, and it's great that you're discovering this about yourself. You're not broken, nor are you alone. You'll meet a ton of supportive people that can relate to you! I hope you enjoy being a member~

Now, for some more helpful information about the site, in addition to my welcome (and cake):

Spoiler

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Related image

Archived