Where would you like to live in the past if it's possible?

Where would you like to live in the past if was possible ?   

115 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you like to live in the past if was possible ?

• Medieval castle
    • Ancient Rome
    • Ancient Greece
    • Ancient Egypt
    • Reneissance Europe
    • Palace/manor
    • King's court
    • XVIII century Europe or America
    • XIX century Europe or America
    • Belle Epoque
    • 20s and 30s
    • 68' and hippie period
    • Other
    • i wouldn't like to live in the past

This poll is closed to new votes

ALL the Histories!!!!!!!!!

I'd really like to see everything from the formation of the earth, to the dawn of humans. Especially the beginnings of life! I don't care that the world would't have been habitable for a human back then, I want to see how it all got started! (I'd probably need a space suit or something.)

Also: A long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far away... 

Take me there. Now.

J. van Deijck

I'm from the future, I'd get lost in the past I guess.

darkstreamers252

I'd like to live or at least visit the periods of history I most like or that we know little about, I'm an anthropologist, so history is one of my geeky things.

Here they are!:

So-called pre-History, Ancient Egypt, Harappan culture/Ancient India, Pre-Colombian America (specifically the Aztecs and Nahuatl-speaking peoples), Pre-Christian Europe, 1860's Russia (the Nihilist Movement), WW2 Nazi Germany, and 1960's America.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't like to live in the suggested periods of time or locations since I would probably be killed or tortured for being third gender.

Therefore I choose to live in ancient maya civilization for I would be able to be accepted as third gender and educated to be an astronomer.

Nah, I'm glad to have been born in present day, most past eras sound pretty dire to live in for anyone who wasn't "upper class", plus I love current tech too much to give it up :D

If anything, I'd be curious to explore much further back in the past (for a little while, with the possibility of returning safely), how the earth was in previous geological eras, how Pangea looked, observing long extinct animal and plant species (even some we may not know today that they existed), the Carboniferous era in particular would be fun to explore I think (giant bugs and stuff)

kel naismith

As much as I love history, I think I'd stay in the present with indoor plumbing, modern medicine, central heating, civil/political rights and more career choices than being married off or becoming a nun.

(That said, I would love to visit ancient Rome)

drjohnhwatson

Supposing that I could load myself up with vaccines and whatnot and protect against illnesses that would kill me then but be easily treatable now, I'd love the opportunity to time travel and see a multitude of things.  The historian in me.  Titanic for sure.  Go visit the library of Alexandria.  See what happened, what really happened at Roanoke.  Be at the Boston Tea Party.  Etc., etc., etc.

But in general, I would like to live in the Victorian Era, surprise, surprise.

:lol:.

chrys_silver

There are so many times I would love to visit, ancient Rome, ancient Greece, the Renaissance, Medieval Europe, anywhere humans hadn't reached yet well, just about everywhere/time really. But to live without current medical advances? Without proper sewer systems? Without hot water? To be forever the woman a head taller than everyone else (cos each generation is taller than the last)? I think I rather like the present.

Yes I realise some of these exist in some of the periods I'd like to visit, but they don't all. Especially not to someone who would effectively be a peasant.

If I could be promised that I wouldn't die of some horrible disease, I'd like to live in 1300s-1600s London.  

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'd love to go back to Rome , after all, they had central heating, hot water, toilets....what could I possibly miss? :lol:

By most objective measures, I would say that the best time is the present. Although the 1960s/1970s would probably be pretty fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Anomaly Q3Xr

Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, or Ancient Rome.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I would only like to live in the past if I could bring all of modern medicine and sanitation/safety technologies with me. It was so easy to die young in virtually all of human history from diseases, plagues, bad food, lack of knowledge of dangerous activities (think people who used to research or decorate with radioactive materials) etc. 

Félinferno

The 1920s or the 1960s, or anywhere between those two decades. I really like how sleek and nice everything looked back then, like the architecture and cars. The only downfall is that I'm a woman, so I'd probably be made to stay at home or something. Oh well.

Belle epoque all the way, man!!! What an exciting time to be around... I would be interested in the clothing people wore, the words they used and the opinions on economic and social issues. Just walking around a city like a "time tourist" would be cool, but I'd probably prefer staying with a host family for a couple of months to really get a feel for things.

Nope nope nope.  Although right now has it's problems, things are much better now then they were in the past.

• 2 weeks later...
Elftober Country
On 27/05/2017 at 11:08 AM, October Country said:

I'd go back to the golden age of piracy, but I'd be a nice pirate, like Guybrush Threepwood 8)

@Snao Çoñé

I wouldn't want to live in the past, simply because if I chose, for instance, the middle ages, I wouldn't be in a castle, I would be a peasant with a 30 year life expectancy, starving because I have to give 99% of my production to the noblemen and clergymen. Same for any period, I don't see any period in the past where I could have the quality of life I have now, with no war and no famine.

Sorry to ruin the mood! I totally meant to tick something else at first but then I thought, who am I kidding, I'd never have been in a castle XD At least now I can look at castles on the internet :P

On 29-6-2017 at 3:15 AM, kelnaismith said:

As much as I love history, I think I'd stay in the present with indoor plumbing, modern medicine, central heating, civil/political rights and more career choices than being married off or becoming a nun.

Hear hear.

I would love to visit and explore though!

Italian Renaissance!

But because life is easier nowadays, I think I would stay in the present. :D

• 9 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived