What is your favorite genre of music?

sgtcactus

Favorite genre of music  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite genre of music?

• Rock
    • Alternative
    • Pop
    • Country
    • Metal
    • Rap
    • Electronic
    • Classical
    • Jazz
    • Blues
    • R&B/Soul
    • Reggae
    • Dance
    • Gospel
    • Latin
    • Soundtrack
    • Singer/Songwriter
    • Folk

This poll is closed to new votes

I just put in the main genres, if there's certain subgenres you like then comment that, as there's too many subgenres to put in a poll.  

I personally am a metal fan, more specifically prog and thrash metal; as well as rock, more specifically hard rock, alt rock, and expiremental. I've also been getting into rap metal lately, even though I don't like normal rap at all. I also enjoy soundtrack, but mostly Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Alexandre Desplat, and Michael Giacchino. 

You can't kill the metal. Metal will live on.

Punk rock tried to kill the metal.

But they failed! As they were stricken down to the ground! :twisted:

(Also, where is the Funk?)

This is hard, as there's not actually a single genre of music I don't enjoy (except perhaps religious hymns and nursery rhymes)- but rock won out in the end.

AVEN #1 fan

Electronic, specially if it's related to geeks,  japoneses and sapphics, it makes me have eargasms and my heart stop.Lol

I like rock, pop, classical, metal, blues, and jazz. Among metal I like classic metal and thrash metal. 

The only thing I've seen that most of my favorite music got in common is the word "indie", and that's not on the list.

Else I suppose I like some classical, jazz, pop, soundtracks and metal. (did not vote for any of these though, since that would be incorrect)

Since my favorite band is indie-folk, I guess folk could be where I put my vote, but you don't have folk either.

It's a pity there aren't multiple choice option :(. I like very different kinds of music. I can say I listen to all except metal and rap. Songwriting is the closest to my heart.

Diamond Ace of Hearts

In the postmodern era, genre is meaningless.

Having said that, it is useful for keeping your music in some kind of order.

I like good lyrics and I could hardly care less about the accompanying music, save that most metal songs annoy me and I prefer "real" instruments to electronically created sounds.

Also, that list of genres looks suspiciously like the list of genres used in the Sims games.

my favorite genre is metal, mostly folk and power, but I'm not usually to picky... 

Félinferno

I like a lot of music genres, but my favourite is by far Electronic. I love it so much that it takes up probably around 70% of what I listen to. 

Funnily enough, I used to hate the genre. I remember being around the age of 12 and absolutely despising it because I thought it was all random bleeps and bloops. Then I finally heard popular EDM artists on the radio such as Avicii and David Guetta, and started to really get into the genre. After about a year I was a addicted to it, and my love of it has just been growing and growing ever since, and I've discovered so many different awesome artists and sub-genres. I can't get enough. Haha

I listen to all different sub-genres of Electronic/EDM, from Techno to House. My favourites though, are;

- Electro-Swing

- Trap/Future Bass

- Chill Hop/Lo-Fi Hip Hop

- Trip Hop

- Wonky (and pretty much all "IDM" music)

- Trance

- Dubstep/Chillstep

- Witch House

- Progressive House

- Liquid/Melodic Drum&Bass

- Glitch Hop

- Electro House/Complextro

- Synthwave

Other music genres I like include; Rock (indie rock, alt rock), Metal (alt metal, prog metal, symphonic metal), K-Pop, J-Rock, and Indie Pop (and pretty much anything else indie really).

Grumpy Alien

Shrug. I don't really listen to music

J. van Deijck

checked 'electronic' as I'm a huge fan of industrial music of any kind, but if we had multiple choice, I would check metal as my second favourite.

I don't have on favourite genre! I listen to so, so much. Recently I'm into Hip-Hop, but also Metal, Rock, (K-)Pop, I looooove Musicals, I love LOVE LOVE medieval rock, I'm into certain types of electronic music... I think if I had to choose one genre I'd be really unhappy. 

Metal. Especially Folk-/Pagan-/Viking-, Black and Power Metal.
I also enjoy some Folk (without metal infulence), Aggrotech and Classical music a lot. 

2 hours ago, UVB-76 said:

checked 'electronic' as I'm a huge fan of industrial music of any kind, but if we had multiple choice, I would check metal as my second favourite.

I would consider most industrial music as metal, especially bands like NiN. 

5 hours ago, Messen said:

The only thing I've seen that most of my favorite music got in common is the word "indie", and that's not on the list.

Else I suppose I like some classical, jazz, pop, soundtracks and metal. (did not vote for any of these though, since that would be incorrect)

Since my favorite band is indie-folk, I guess folk could be where I put my vote, but you don't have folk either.

I don't really consider indie a genre, most indie music that I listen to is pretty similar to rock or alternative. I will add folk though, forgot about that. 

2 minutes ago, sgtcactus said:

I don't really consider indie a genre, most indie music that I listen to is pretty similar to rock or alternative. I will add folk though, forgot about that. 

Good, then I put my vote on folk :D 

J. van Deijck
On 25.5.2017 at 2:41 PM, sgtcactus said:

I would consider most industrial music as metal, especially bands like NiN. 

definitely not. 

industrial started with bands like Coil or Throbbing Gristle that have started before metal was even known.

now we have fusions and such things, like aggrotech or powernoise, or generally EBM - does it even sound like metal? not at all.

it kind of makes me laugh when someone points out NIN because they possibly described themselves as industrial rock... and they're one of the best known bands, for some they are the only known band that has anything to do with industrial. (not to mention being pretty mainstream... which doesn't even mean they're bad. they're just an unfortunate example)

of course, when industrial meets metal, we have industrial metal. and then we can mention bands or artists like NIN, Celldweller, Cyanotic etc. etc. and yes, in this case they sound like metal. and only then.

Anthracite_Impreza

EDM all the way, especially dubstep and trance.

Internetlionboy

Rock, alternative, pop, and electronic are my favorite genres.

Rock , progressive rock 70s + 80s

Rock, alternative, and some pop... but I voted for Rock because I could only choose one.

LoyalandTrue

Rock, but mainly classic rock, oldies, stuff like that. My fave music.

Personally, I like video game music

You didn't have progressed rock!!!

i guess the closest description for me is alternative though i do think what i listen to mostly could fall into pop, rock, electronic (electropop and synthpop) and folk. one of my favourite musicians, john grant according to wikipedia ticks all those boxes (and a couple of others) :D

I picked metal out of those, though I also like rap, rock, alternative, dubstep, soundtrack(mostly from anime or video games but sometimes from movies too), r&b, and some pop.

Yinlotus93

Pop, b/c I can move to it. ^_^

Then it's instrumental, b/c it gets my mind going, and then Country, b/c I was raised on that stuff. ;)

@Vyridis

I like a lot of music genres, but my favourite is by far Electronic. I love it so much that it takes up probably around 70% of what I listen to. 

Funnily enough, I used to hate the genre. I remember being around the age of 12 and absolutely despising it because I thought it was all random bleeps and bloops. Then I finally heard popular EDM artists on the radio such as Avicii and David Guetta, and started to really get into the genre. After about a year I was a addicted to it, and my love of it has just been growing and growing ever since, and I've discovered so many different awesome artists and sub-genres. I can't get enough. Haha

Sounds like me and metal. I can clearly remember telling my schoolfriend in elementary school that I disliked metal and found it tiresome. Guess what, some time after that I started discovering that I like it and now it is the main thing I listen to :)

Which also answers the poll question. I checked the "metal" option. I also like folk/re-enactment of old music with the period instruments and some electronic music (though I suck at recognising subgenres).

AspieAngel

I was an 80's metal head and though it is still one of my favorite genres, I'm willing to give any music a chance. I do prefer music without all the swearing but it doesn't mean I will avoid it. I just find it a shame because some have great lyrics and messages without them. 

Archived