What is 'Self-Harm via Discourse Tags'?

So I've seen this going about around Tumblr, and was wondering what it is? All I know about it is the gist - self-harming by reading the ace discourse tag - but nothing else. Anyone have any clarity to offer? I'm very confused.

I think the idea is that asexuals go to Tumblr's Ace Discourse page to "mentally self-harm" because they know in advance that the discussion there will make them mad, and allow them to claim that they were "triggered".

In support of that interpretation, here's what I found through a Google search:

https://ace-discourse-comics.tumblr.com

• Like 2

Basically it's checking the ace discourse tag is considered a form of self harm because the aphobia and lgbt ppl calling us straight is rampant.

• Like 1

So I've seen this going about around Tumblr,

This was your first mistake.

• Like 8

I've just learned to laugh at the utter absurdity of people's thoughts. I imagine some of people who use the "ace discourse" hashtag don't have the IQ to understand what the **** "discourse" entails. It just boggles the mind that some entitled LGBT people think they have the right to lord over us cause their suffering has evolved into a full superiority/victim complex. It's like a person of color going around and blindly claiming all white people are racist just cause they've dealt with racism before. These people are (hopefully) the minority so just ignore these miserable sods. It's alright to vent and complain (we aces do it all the time), but some people just go full stupid and become their own antithesis.

• Like 1

I think it's like intentionally causing yourself mental distress by reading through the tags. A lot of what I've seen is pretty nasty - people telling other people that they should kill themselves is fairly common - so I can well believe that it'd cause someone who's already vulnerable a lot of damage.

I think it's similar for a lot of 'Tumblr discourse' - it's pretty much unmoderated, so whatever actual discussion may have been there ends up giving way to prointless shit-slinging.

• Like 3

Note to self: stop reading up on things you read on AVEN... :(

The mind boggles as to how cruel some people can be.

• Like 5

Tumblr honestly is no place to look at for serious topics like asexuality, politics, racism etc.

It's just hateful little brats.

• Like 3

I was a part of the "discourse" (if it can be called that) way back when I was on tumblr. Just don't participate in it. Nothing good is going to come from it. No one is going to get their minds changed and you're just going to feel worse.

• Like 1
Elftober Country

I seem to have been blissfully unaware of this whole 'discourse tag' thing; I guess that's over now :(

• Like 1