just a question

Mizuwolf

Okay, so the way I'm going to word this might sound like I'm joking, but I really want to know!  If there's a transgender guy (born a girl) and he decides that he's gay, then is it still gay?  I know that when you're trans you identify as that gender, like you don't think that you're any other gender at all, but until you get a sex change you're still technically in the other gender's body.  Its just a little confusing I guess.  Way to go super random thought producer!

ChillaKilla
6 minutes ago, Mizuwolf said:

Okay, so the way I'm going to word this might sound like I'm joking, but I really want to know!  If there's a transgender guy (born a girl) and he decides that he's gay, then is it still gay?

Yes. trans men are men, so if they're attracted to men (cis or trans) they are gay.

6 minutes ago, Mizuwolf said:

at when you're trans you identify as that gender, like you don't think that you're any other gender at all, but until you get a sex change you're still technically in the other gender's body.

Not every trans person wants bottom surgery ("sex change" is an outdated and kind of insensitive term FYI), and there's no one magical operation that renders you with the characteristics of the opposite sex. Trans men can get mastectomies (top surgery), phalloplasty, vaginectomy, etc. but not one on its own is a "sex change". Likewise, trans women can get a vaginoplasty or a penectomy, orchiectomy, etc. but again that's up to her. Also, many trans people reject the notion of "born in the wrong body". A trans man's body IS his body, and since he's a man it is a "man's body". Some girls have penises and some boys have vaginas. That's just how it is.

In short, sexual orientation isn't 100% dependent on what genitals you have by any means. 

Thanks for the help @ChillaKilla!  I'm sorry that it came off as a little offensive!  I tried to word my thoughts as inoffensively as possible, but I guess when you don't know the topic that well you can say things on accident...  This was just one of those random questions that I had to think about for hours because I couldn't think of an answer.

ChillaKilla
9 minutes ago, Mizuwolf said:

Thanks for the help @ChillaKilla!  I'm sorry that it came off as a little offensive!  I tried to word my thoughts as inoffensively as possible, but I guess when you don't know the topic that well you can say things on accident...  This was just one of those random questions that I had to think about for hours because I couldn't think of an answer.

Hey, it's really no problem :) Can't blame you for not knowing, all I can do is try and educate. Glad I could help.

@ChillaKilla

I'm curious then, what would you say instead of "sex change"? 'cause isn't that what you're changing when you do those surgeries? I'm just trying to understand

ChillaKilla
2 hours ago, ReyGraves said:

@ChillaKilla

I'm curious then, what would you say instead of "sex change"? 'cause isn't that what you're changing when you do those surgeries? I'm just trying to understand

Generally, "gender confirmation surgery" is more accurate, doesn't have the same negative history as, and isn't as restricted to operating on genitalia as the phrase "sex change" is. (For instance facial feminization surgery/ top surgery are gender confirming surgeries, while not "sex changes")

God of the Forest
On 5/23/2017 at 11:46 AM, ChillaKilla said:

Hey, it's really no problem :) Can't blame you for not knowing, all I can do is try and educate. Glad I could help.

Thats why youre awesome

God of the Forest
On 5/23/2017 at 11:23 AM, Mizuwolf said:

Okay, so the way I'm going to word this might sound like I'm joking, but I really want to know!  If there's a transgender guy (born a girl) and he decides that he's gay, then is it still gay?  I know that when you're trans you identify as that gender, like you don't think that you're any other gender at all, but until you get a sex change you're still technically in the other gender's body.  Its just a little confusing I guess.  Way to go super random thought producer!

Thats the key there. Even though he's technically still in a girl's body, he more than likely has dysphoria and plans on taking hormones and so forth. Can't really blame them for not being something they havent had the chance to transform into yet lol But I get why youre confused. But I will say that people like Riley Dennis who claim to be a transwoman who is a lesbian and have stated that they don't experience dysphoria and are comfortable in their male body arent really lesbians IMO

AVEN #1 fan
16 minutes ago, King of the Forest said:

Thats the key there. Even though he's technically still in a girl's body, he more than likely has dysphoria and plans on taking hormones and so forth. Can't really blame them for not being something they havent had the chance to transform into yet lol But I get why youre confused. But I will say that people like Riley Dennis who claim to be a transwoman who is a lesbian and have stated that they don't experience dysphoria and are comfortable in their male body arent really lesbians IMO

Riley is non-binary,  she's only part a woman. Idk what kind of non-binary gender she has but some enbies use gay/lesbian/hetero. (Even tough some people on the community don't agree with it)

@King of the Forest

Riley refers to herself as a nonbinary woman and as a lesbian. She has a girlfriend. She explained her situation and choices a couple of times. From what I remember she is considering hrt. She doesn't express her femininity more because she fears resentment and violence. Which I totally get and which makes me quite sad. And please don't label her body as male.

God of the Forest
56 minutes ago, Finn. said:

@King of the Forest And please don't label her body as male.

....I'm not labelling their body as anything... that's what their body is... My mother is a woman, my sisters are women, my aunts are women, my daughter will be a woman when she is older, Jamie Clayton is a woman, Laverne Cox is a woman, Blaire White is a woman. I will recognize Riley J. Dennis as a non-binary person and I will even refer to Riley J. Dennis as "They" but I will not recognize them as a woman simply because they wear crappy eye liner and have long hair and say "I'm a trans-woman"..being a trans woman means you are experiencing disphoria and/or are going through transition to live as a woman. If you can show me hard evidence that Riley J Dennis is going on HRT and/or has stated they have body dysphoria then I will start recognizing them as a woman. But until then, no. I have actual trans friends who suffer from dysphoria and are doing everything they can to appear as the gender they feel they are (man/woman) short of mutilating themselves, and Riley just isnt doing anything but ignoring scissors and playing with makeup. 

Friendly reminder to everyone that Gender Discussion isn't the place to invalidate someone's gender identity, or for transphobic remarks.That's a quick way to get a ban from this forum so please take care of the content you post in this thread aswell of you being mindful when interacting with the members in this forum.

I'd also like to remind everyone to remain civil and to use the report button should someone has said or done something you disagree with so the Admod Team can deal with it.

Jayce, Gender Discussion mod.

Archived