Is it possible to be Asexual + Straight?

What I mean is, you would rather your partner to be of the opposite gender.

• Like 1

I think you are comparing apples and oranges just a bit. Asexuality deals with do you have the ability to feel sexual attraction at all. Straight or any other qualifiers are more specific and deal with who you would rather be with in a relationship. I think that straight attractions would fall more under the romantic element. I dont know if that is clear or not. 

Guest Lady.Lizard

Of course it is!
I'm curious as to why you think it might not be? Loads of people are hetero-aces, not every ace is homo-romantic, just in the same way that not all allo-sexuals are 'straight'. Asexuality merely relates to the desire for sex, not attraction to other human beings of different sexes/genders :) 

Basically what Lady.Lizard sade.

• Like 1

Well yeah, of course it is.  I consider myself straight.

People might prefer one sex over the other for company in general (I know I do, anyway), and it does not necessarily have to do with which one they'd rather pursue sex with.

I think so, I'm aro ace, and even though I technically have no sexuality, or romantic orientation, I'm still hetero aesthetically attracted to men. I mean, I don't know if that counts or not but....

NerotheReaper

Yup, I consider myself straight because I find the opposite sex attractive. I don't want to have sex with them though, or see them in that kind of light. 

That's what heteroromantic asexual is. It's perfectly possible to want a partner and be aromatic asexual as well.

31 minutes ago, Ocean Eyes said:

Sexual orientation and romantic orientation align for allosexuals

Not necessarily! I know someone who is homoromantic bisexual, and there are many other possibilities! 

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
4 hours ago, A Cat said:

What I mean is, you would rather your partner to be of the opposite gender.

Why NOT? Asexuality just means that you have no or at least very little interest in sex. It's not about gender. But I guess the correct term would be heteroromantic in that case.

Absolutely. I'm ace and aro, and yet I still have a gender preference when it comes to a potentional partner.

• 2 months later...
TheHatlessDragon

Some asexuals use something we call the Split Attraction Model (SAM). This deals with your romantic and sexual attraction as two separate entities, and not one and the same. This gives rise to terms like aromantic, heteroromantic, etc. (all the same prefixes apply except you use -romantic and not -sexual). 

This means it is perfectly plausible to be straight and asexual at the same time. 

You don't have to use the SAM at all, but some people find it helpful. 

I hope this answers your question to some extent. 

Digs_Dead_People

Romantic and sexual attraction are two very different things. :)  I'm asexual, but homoromantic.

Ask a straight person. They will tell you. And the answer will be no.

Most "straight persons" are completely unaware of any orientations other than the sexual one.  Because of that, "straight" is synonymous to "heterosexual" to them.  These people are likely to also assume that being asexual means you aren't interested in anybody, which is obviously not necessarily true.

As far as I'm concerned, "straight" just means you like the other sex, for relationship purposes.  Gay/lesbian, you like the same sex.  They don't suddenly become NOT those things just because sexual desire/attraction doesn't play a part.

• 6 years later...
M96-80 KENNY

Straight-oriented aroace here, I could enjoy a platonic relationship (actually open to a queer-platonic relationship) with somebody of the opposite gender, somebody who can love and appreciate me as a person, because I will do the same, through mutual respect. I used to have a best friend (my first and only one), but in a very platonic way, we loved each other until she left me just starting this year.

This thread is seven years old. It's encouraged not to revive long-dead threads and instead make a new one if you want to discuss the same topic.

• Like 2
Snao Cone

I have not changed my answer from seven years ago, though, which says something.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Squirrel Combat

As far as being Ace goes, yes, I'm essentially straight. I like ladies for particular intimacy.