Parental Consent for top surgery

Creatorsarch

Creatorsarch

I have a friend who is about 13 and is looking to get top surgery. Their mother is fine with it but their father isn't. Is there any loophole in which the father doesn't get a say?

Comrade F&F

13? I'm all for someone embracing their gender identity, but isn't 13 just too young for that kind of surgery?

Maybe that is what the father's concern is? 

Grumpy Alien
21 minutes ago, Feys&Florets said:

13? I'm all for someone embracing their gender identity, but isn't 13 just too young for that kind of surgery?

I would think so? I'm not a doctor but I'd think their body still has a lot of room to grow. That's a major surgery for a child that would likely need to re-do it in some years' time.

But if they're married or have partial custody, I don't think there's a loophole, as it's an elective surgery. I'm not a lawyer either. 

Mezzo Forte

Youngest I've ever heard of surgeons willing to perform top surgery is 16 years old with parental consent, and even that is really pushing it. Hell, I just had top surgery five days ago, and because I look kinda young, my anesthesiologist asked my age, and she was really relieved when I said 23. She told me that she's seen way too many kids who weren't really mature enough to really understand what they were getting themselves into so young and it's not good for their psyche. I don't think there's an ideal age to do this kind of procedure, but I do think a certain degree of mental maturity is required to handle this kind of operation, especially if they want any chance at preventing/fighting post-op depression.

If anything, I'd say to your friend to start by figuring out the hormone blockers. Think about the big picture transition plan. Include top surgery in the game plan, but really do the research. Use the time to really figure get to know what surgery entails, what recovery is like, really research the surgeons, figure out the financial plan (depending on where you live), start mentally and logistically preparing in every way possible.

People underestimate top surgery because it's so common, often seen as an elective surgery, and everyone who's been through it wants to nail home that it was medically necessary and completely worth it to the point of deemphasizing the challenges that come with it. I definitely feel like top surgery is completely worthwhile, but it is far more major of a surgery than people want to say it is. Some of the post-op care for top surgery has involved the sharpest, most searing pain of my life, and I once went through half a foot surgery without anesthetic. I've never felt so helpless post-op like I've been for this surgery, and if I came into it with the wrong attitude, I probably would have hurt myself by now.

Sorry for all the rambling, but I just think 13 is too young to really handle a procedure like this. Dysphoria sucks. It really does. But there's other ways to combat it at that age that aren't nearly as traumatic on the body or psyche.

It's unlikely that any surgeon would perform that for a 13-year-old, for good reason.

Creatorsarch
13 hours ago, Feys&Florets said:

I'm pretty sure they've considered the logistics, and the father is transphobic

ChillaKilla
3 hours ago, Creatorsarch said:

I'm pretty sure they've considered the logistics, and the father is transphobic

There's no point in having it done until the breasts are fully developed, frankly, otherwise there will continue to be growth. It's just not gonna happen that young. I can't even get mine until I'm 18.

nerdperson777

People tend to say that age is too young to decide, but I'm more just thinking developmentally.  If they don't get on hormone blockers, the breast tissue will still grow.  I know this one boy, he has very supportive parents, which I'm quite jealous about since my parents want a "normal" girl and hasn't changed a single thing in the way they treat me.  We started calling him A two years ago and a friend said that he was going to get top surgery.  He's 14 now.  I remembered his size was pretty big from when he wasn't wearing a binder before.  He posts videos online but I haven't looked at them recently so my guess now is that he's started T but hasn't gotten any surgery.

But to answer the question, I looked it up on Google.  Surgery can be scheduled at any age but the actual surgery must be when they're over 18, with one doctor.  Hormone blockers can be given at age 12.  Ah ha I found something.

"In the Brave New World of transgender “health care,” a 15-year-old can ask for and receive a double mastectomy, with mom’s blessing and collaboration. (In Oregon, a kid can decide to have her breasts removed whether mom approves or not, thanks to trans activists like Jenn Burleton and TransActive).

Last July, a mom posted to the WPATH public Facebook page, looking for advice on how to get “chest reconstruction” for her 15-year-old (i.e.,  double mastectomy. Why can’t these people use actual medical terminology, even amongst themselves? Do the providers and parents also get “triggered” by seeing a reference to female anatomy?)"

Then it looks like you'll have to find someone who would operate on a minor.  It looks like your friend might be stuck with them for a few years because even the 15 year old stories are kind of rare.

http://gendercube.tumblr.com/post/96579277492/are-you-allowed-to-get-top-surgery-at-14

LuckofTheChuck

Is it possible to get puberty blockers and testosterone without parental consent? If so, what is the minimum age? 

10 hours ago, LuckofTheChuck said:

Is it possible to get puberty blockers and testosterone without parental consent? If so, what is the minimum age? 

18, or at least whatever age your country tends to let kids do things without parents permission.

LuckofTheChuck
11 hours ago, Ricchan said:

18, or at least whatever age your country tends to let kids do things without parents permission.

I'm in Florida.

nerdperson777

Yeah, probably then you be able to do anything as a minor.  But your original post did say the mom was okay with it.  Technically your friend got parental consent.

On 21-5-2017 at 11:50 PM, LuckofTheChuck said:

I don't think so, in my country you have to be 18+ and there is a psychological mill you have to go trough in order to be approved for surgery/HRT. They don't just go ahead and give testosterone to anyone who asks them to, reason why i don't consider doing T in the first place, let be top surgery. The age restriction/parental consent isn't there without a reason, or else any child could go to the doctor to get their testosterone prescription.You are free to do what you wish as soon as you hit 18+, untill then you'd need parental consent.

LuckofTheChuck
54 minutes ago, Jayce said:

I don't think so, in my country you have to be 18+ and there is a psychological mill you have to go trough in order to be approved for surgery/HRT. They don't just go ahead and give testosterone to anyone who asks them to, reason why i don't consider doing T in the first place, let be top surgery. The age restriction/parental consent isn't there without a reason, or else any child could go to the doctor to get their testosterone prescription.You are free to do what you wish as soon as you hit 18+, untill then you'd need parental consent.

That sucks, as I have LGBT-phobic parents.

Archived