How do you pronounce "GIF"?

SkyWorld

How do you pronounce "GIF"?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce "GIF"?

• Hard "G" (like "gift" without the "t")
    • Soft "G" (like the letter "j" / the peanut butter brand "jif")
    • G.I.F. (saying each letter)
    • Other (please post below how you pronounce it)

This poll is closed to new votes

I pronounce it like JIF because that's how it has always been pronounced and no new age change will change me! XD 

LoyalandTrue

Like gift, because that's the way I first read it and I cannot be convinced otherwise, lol

Per Aspera Ad Astra

It's interesting, because I say it with a hard G in English, but a soft G in French. Even though it technically should be pronounced with a hard G in French (because of basic French pronunciation rules).

• 11 months later...

Guh-Jiff, so you make them mad no matter their preference

• 3 weeks later...

I say it like Jif.

And don't even say the whole "it's not jraphics" thing either, because I think everybody agrees on the pronunciation of SCUBA and it's not "oo-nderwater" or "uh-pparatus".

CaptainMarvel

I say it with a hard g just because it’s easier for me 

I used to pronounce it as "gif" with the g and not j. But then apparently the person who created them said it's pronounced "jif" so I changed and call them jifs now ahah

Am I the only one who pronounces it G.I.F.? Eh, I have a lot of weird pronunciations of words.

I pronounce it with a hard G. It feels easier mostly because the letter G is pronounced like that in my native language.

I say it gif, not jiff, but I pronounce .giffany from Gravity Falls as Jiffany.

On 5/28/2018 at 12:15 AM, Kraken X said:

I ise to say hard g until I saw the that and knew it was the truth 😛

Seriously, those who say the inventor said it's a soft g so that is right, are as wrong as those who say primark is pronounsed as pry mark when it's really pree mark, even know the company lately said it's pry mark. Though in that example they changed the answer from Pree mark to Pry mark so inventors opinions don't matter.

Knight of Cydonia
11 hours ago, Scott1989 said:

Seriously, those who say the inventor said it's a soft g so that is right, are as wrong as those who say primark is pronounsed as pry mark when it's really pree mark, even know the company lately said it's pry mark. Though in that example they changed the answer from Pree mark to Pry mark so inventors opinions don't matter.

There aren't any specific rules for how to pronounce words with the "gi" beginning in English. Some are hard (gift, give...) and others are soft (giraffe, gin...). We often have to look at the history of the word for the correct answer, since modern English is a mix of different dialects (e.g. "gift" and "give" derive from Old Norse "gipt", with a hard G). But for the case of a new word, like "gif", I believe the pronunciation depends on the word's creator. In this case, the soft g wins. The "inventor's" opinion certainly matters.

@SkyWorld

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived