Whats your Handwritting Style?

9 minutes ago, alpha decay said:

@SkyWorld you write so well with your left hand :D

Really? Thanks. :) Not as well as you though, I was really impressed with your "less-dominant" hand writing.

Oh my all the pretty writing!

My handwriting is legible but small. I routinely write 3 lines per college rules lines, and I thing once we estimated it to be between 3 and 6 point. 

I also mess up letter spacing, and it gets kinda awkward when I forget that words don't share letters... 

I mix cursive into print a tiny bit, mostly when I'm writing fast and can't bother to lift my pencil. I also exclusively write cursive 'g's because they used to look like 9s...

My cursive is either second grade cursive (my signature :mellow:) or print with no spaces.

njosnavelin

Another example with a note to my...Sharpie with not really fast really slow either

Elftober Country

Block capitals for work...I was complimented on my arrows the other day :huh:

ing6rq.jpg

I have this thing with making my letters sharp. I just think it looks cool. My cursive is quite sloppy... I guess it's because I didn't have any lines haha. Also I don't care for it.

• 3 months later...

I love cursive writing, and think that it would be really shortsighted to stop teaching it. I find that there's more incentive to pay attention and better memory retention when one takes notes by hand.

1 hour ago, Pramana said:

I love cursive writing, and think that it would be really shortsighted to stop teaching it. I find that there's more incentive to pay attention and better memory retention when one takes notes by hand.

I find people's cursive tends to be more unreadable than print...

All my T's slant skyward, and I tend to freak people out with how I write my H's (lowercase) and N's. I used to drive teachers insane. I write them backwards. Same with M's, actually. Lowercase, for all what I mentioned, actually.

Coming to think of it, I also do my s' and p's backwards.

I find I now write in full detached caps, 80% of the time. Way quicker.

arekathevampyre

depends on my mood/importance of what I am writing . If it is for myself it is messy . If it is a letter to someone , it will be small and neat

mine is never neat :lol:

This looks fun! I'm going to post a picture of mine when I get a chance. (I'm riding in the car with my dad and sister at the moment. Not the best time to write!)

I use a typewriter...

everywhere and nowhere

Absolutely horrible. I hold the pen in an untypical way (probably because I started reading and writing at a pre-school age, without a teacher's tutorship) and usually nobody except me can read my handwriting.

I still write by hand, however - my diary must be handwritten. Btw, as for script types, I use all mentioned - caps for strongly emphasizing something, italics for quotes...

Example 1: rough copy of a small diary entry, later rewritten. This is my handwriting at its most horrible, almost illegible even to me.

I have no experience with file hosting, but this SHOULD work... I hope.

Text: "11th October 2015

Cathegory: events in my life

Something beautiful and Mysterious: on the bus a sticker with the words "Whoever you are, I wish you well". These words seem to reveal more than just "I want to create a really positive sticker", "I would like to make someone feel happy". More: absolute generosity. This is like giving - opening to the Other through a few simple words. If one could always remain in such a state..."

Example 2: (relatively...) clean copy of another diary entry (written directly in the diary)

Will it work this time?...

Text: "19th March 2015

Cathegory: reflections, subcathegory: sport, philosophy

Remembering: seeing a little ski jumper sent down with half inrun on a hill without any special adaptations for such jumping with much shorter inrun (even though such adaptations - usually an extra starting bar in the inrun's half-length - are found very rarely anyway, on most hills one must cope without that) [for those who know little about ski jumping: shorter inrun = less speed, very comfortable for first attempts - that's why beginners usually start jumping not only on the smallest hill, but also with half inrun] - the coaches just pushed him from the hill table up the inrun and then let him go. This moment of being supported only by the hands of two people (even though is ski jumping - particularily on bigger hills, where you already fly and not just jump and fall down - not about finding transitory, contingent confidence in the tiniest bits of the world such as a wind gust?) - absolute dependence, absolute trust. A state of suspension. Moments flashing like photoslides - for a moment before that moment when there's no going back, when something grabs you by the skis... In an elusive world: matter is almost vacuum, past doesn't exist anymore, future doesn't exist yet, the present almost doesn't exist, because it's hard to even pinpoint how long it lasts, the present is a bead moving along the thread of time. And maybe life - like a jump - is about finding meaning in temporariness, support in constant moving."

Example 3: a page from my Ukrainian notebook - just to show that I scrawl the same in Latin and Cyryllic alphabet...

So, let's try again...

I'll have to ask someone to make a photo of my hand holding a pen, that you'd see it's untypical. Perhaps that's the reason for my bad handwriting, but I couldn't switch anymore, I would probably scrawl even worse if forcing myself to hold the pen in a way I never got used to.

Like the OP, I dislike being forced to write in cursive.

It's also an area where my synesthesia can be a curse, because when I see cursive, it looks to me like the written version of the way Donald Duck talks.

Also, I think it looks like Arabic, so why not just learn that instead?

FYI my handwriting is in easy-to-read capital letters. I use small caps and large caps a lot... I think my writing looks like an industrial stencil.

I'm an academic who plans on starting a doctorate within the next year or so. My mentor told me that I already have the handwriting of a doctor.

Is "assault to the eyes" a handwriting style? :lol:

My handwriting...kind of depends on the day actually! Sometimes it's really neat if I'm doing something for work or school, but otherwise....you don't even want to see it :P

I never really learned how to write cursive that well either to be honest, I still mix up a lot of the letters or if I'm not sure I'll just put some kind of squiggle and hope it's okay :D

...I'm not even sure if my signature is legible anymore! 

Lotta_Biscotti

Here are my typical styles. Sorry about the angle here.

sample.jpg

'Angular 45' the fastest handwriting style I've made up, but I experiment with handwriting styles and coded writing often. I really like to look at other people's handwriting quirks and if I like their style, sometimes I try to copy it for fun. I also have a deliberately unintelligible cursive style, and a cursive style that I only really use when writing thank-you notes. The 'neat' style is the one I use when I want something to be as easy and fast to read as possible, rather than fancy or quick.

My right hand used to be smoother, when I was unable to use my left for a few months. My right-hand print is atrocious though. xD

Lotta_Biscotti
On 5/20/2017 at 5:58 PM, Perspektiv said:

I would have to agree. However, my cursive looks like I had too much to drink, prior to jotting stuff down. I used to write quick notes at work in cursive at work. Having one too many people asking me if I were a doctor in my previous life, kind of was the hint I needed to stick to detached.

I'd be devastated. I've thrown out hundreds of sheets of paper as a youth, perfecting my signature. I still use it to this day!

I remember handwriting a letter to my insurance company to pay a bill. I didn't have ink in my printer, and needed to send it immediately, so just wrote everything. I hadn't written a letter since high school (we were forced to have pen pals, but it was even also the last professional type of letter). When you consider how obsolete these basic skills are becoming, its rather scary.

I actually got a call back--they were amazed I "took the time to write a letter by hand..something they hadn't seen in years, so my letter stood out from the thousands they likely receive". The irony, was that the decision was a rushed and lazy move, vs go out and get printer ink.

That's awesome that your move worked out for you!! Yeah, I feel like penmanship itself is increasingly niche. It's a shame, because learning to write physically does good things for your brain. Learning cursive, and other ways of writing, does too, but I can understand its decline and am not that bothered by it being more niche. But the points you bring up are why I relearned cursive so I could really make my thank-you notes look nice. I've noticed that the 65+ crowd really appreciates a nice hand and a real, handwritten thank you note or card, in a different way than younger people do. Stuff like that just stands out in our time.

@Roardova, the curls of your handwriting totally remind me of some of the styles in my historic hand book. I have trouble reading some of it, but it's visually quite nifty!

• 3 months later...

This is a picture I took today when we were sharing handwriting on Discord:

Ge4hXRYcEMOETNQUouMkBgg3ScoLEdSlx0IHlhr0

I have a left slanted, messy handwriting. It's way far from neat. The letters are plain and simple, often without any loops and I usually don't connect them, unless I'm in hurry. I'm also better off writing small letters rather than big.

Fun fact: don't let me use a fountain pen unless you're incredibly good at deciphering hieroglyphs. I write with an H/2H mechanical pencil, because then, my handwriting is the most legible. Also because I think faster than I write and I tend to make funny mistakes.

Prufrock, but like, worse

G93S76y.png

PRINT.jpg

[I pray that my writing is legible TwT]

I did a little bit of cursive in grade 3, but never properly learned it. We had three or four classes of it before it was dropped, and was never spoken of again.

To be honest, I can barely read cursive because of that LOL;;; I have to reaaally stare at the words to read it.

Archived