Whats your Handwritting Style?

As we evolve in terms of technological advances, the art of writing starts getting lost. Some schools have pondered eliminated cursive writing, deeming it as necessary. I think the more you're taught, the better.

That does however, bring me to my point. You're obviously taught to write one way, but I'm curious as to how most of you prefer writing in general?

Do you write in all situations the same way? I.E At work? While rushed, on birthday or special occasion cards. etc. The most popular being all in caps, cursive, all lowercase. There are also those who like mix matching. Or, the basics--semi detatched, fully detatched, etc.

What's your handwriting style?

I actually hate writing in cursive, so avoid it at all costs, ironically enough, when considering the point made in the first post.

I find I write like I'm typing. All detatched, and I put my caps where they belong. If rushing, I write entirely in caps.

If taking notes from a client on the phone, and am writing in warp speed, I'll tend to write in semi detached lowercase letters.

I'm told my writing is very tidy. My writing is pretty basic--only switch I love to do, is instead of dashes to separate numbers in phone numbers, I put tiny circles between number sequences. 1o800o555... It looks way better when I do it on paper O_o

God of the Forest

Chicken Scratch.. or 3rd grader, however you wanna look at it... I was raised by a doctor who's sole purpose of handwriting was to write prescriptions...if that gives you an idea of what I'm talking about lol

TheLittleRabbit

They cancelled cursive at while I was in school.  They spent maybe a year and a half teaching is cursive, saying all of our essays would have to be written in cursive, then they did a complete 360 to typing and I never wrote in cursive again.  Sometimes I wish I knew fluent cursive... I can read it better than most people my age, but honestly I'm better at reading Japanese, and the only thing I can write in cursive without having to think about it is my name.  Oh, and cursive lowercase k, I don't write print k's.. and if I'm writing fast my s and g look the same.

That being said, I've been told my handwriting is pretty several times (by my peers).  I switched to a fountain pen about a year ago.  People say it makes your handwriting look better but I don't think it has.

Writing in cursive is just second nature for me at this point, no clue how you could write otherwise. Scrawling out an entire sentence in just one line is just too satisfying.

Toby The Casual Prince

atwzkqd.jpg

I can write prettier. And I can write neater. I can write in cursive. But this is how I usually write. (though a bit less chunky) 

Mine is a mix of cursive and print. In elementary school the teachers made us write everything in script or else we would get 0s on our work (this was a private Catholic school). Once I transferred to a public school teachers told me to write in print because it was easier to read. So I had to relearn how to write in print and since then my handwriting has been slowly becoming more and more print, but still has some script in there.

The Terrible Travis
51 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Some schools have pondered eliminated cursive writing.

Good. Cursive writing is nothing more than a gigantic waste of time, similar to almost everything else taught in school.

As for me, my handwriting is virtually always the same. Only exception is when I'm rushing, then the letters begin to get a bit sloppy and weird-looking. But that's pretty much it.

Diamond Ace of Hearts

horrible. Is now and always was before I even had anything to type on.

Messy/dr's handwriting style

NerotheReaper

My writing style in general is a hot mess, but when I was little I had trouble with my hands so I always held the pencil/pen differently. The way they said to do it was like the pencil was leaning back in a chair in a really relaxed position. This messed with my hand somehow, so I held it differently and got in trouble for it. I never changed it because I am a rebel like that, but I think I have decent print. 

My grandmother sends postcards or cards in the mail a lot, and all she does is write in cursive and she has that really fancy kind that is almost impossible to read. I only use cursive when signing for things/paying. I never used it when I was younger, but being older and an adult I see the use. 

Kind of sloppy. Not as sloppy as a doctor's though, and I use proper capitalization.

I learned how to write in cursive, but I haven't used cursive in a while.

My natural writing is legible, but very uneven in font, line spacing, slant, etc.  I mostly print, with a few odd cursive letters ("s" and "f", for example). 

When I was a kid, I learned cursive, but was terrible at it so didn't end up sticking to it.  I tried it again in college and can actually write it pretty well now.  But cursive just doesn't seem like "me."

Mine has always been ugly / barely readable and got bad grades in elementary school.  Right now it feels pretty corroded. If I have to communicate I write print with felt marker on huge sheets. But honestly: I consider my handwriting dysfunctional and don't do more than a postcard to my parents while at vacation. - I wish there were light portable printers for those.

aeimquy159

Very messy though I don't write, it seems so draconian lol. I'd would be surprised if I hand write 20 words a month and probably haven't written a complete sentence in over a decade.  I think we should be teaching kids how to balance a check register instead of cursive. Seems like a more applicable skill in today's world.

chair jockey

I learned cursive at age 4, in 1969, and can still use it, but haven't needed it for several months.

Both cursive and block printing are going to disappear from Canada and the US within about 20 years. In fact, of the kids being born this year, I expect only historians and other field research academics to be trained in reading cursive, and that at the university level as a small part of a fieldwork course. Manufacture of pens, paper suitable for handwriting on, and printed forms will become obsolete here (although I expect print books to endure same as the vinyl record has endured). Even the handwritten signature will become obsolete as a legal instrument, partly because there are already much more reliable ways to identify someone electronically, and even better and more practical ways will be developed as printing paper documents just so someone can sign them becomes increasingly tedious and inconvenient.

tumblr_oq8b0wyV9K1w78nj5o1_1280.jpg

Scottthespy

I hand write better than I print, but no one I know can read it, so I rarely bother. When I'm writing things for my own viewing, I usually do them in a cipher or in mirror image. 

Grumpy Alien

3R1xlMH.png

My handwriting hasn't changed much since grade school...

Toby The Casual Prince
5 minutes ago, Graceful said:

3R1xlMH.png

My handwriting hasn't changed much since grade school...

Aha! Now I know your full name and your birth date 

Yinlotus93

Legible and with little if any exaggeration when I write typically using print.

Legible but rather girly when I use cursive to sign my name or feel like being fancy with my writting. (Was actually able to learn it in grade school before it got dropped)

I prefer writing in cursive, because I grew up in the time where it was required for all essays and exams. I can also write in cursive, with both hands. 

PVbVHOh.jpg

Top is right, bottom is left. You can see an obvious change though, because I can't see my strokes when I write with my left. 

My print:

5v8G0LK.jpg

Mine varies a lot depending on how rushed I am and what I'm using it for. I'm not a fan of writing in cursive though-- unless it's up the the standard of a Victorian letter I won't use it. I've incorporated some cursive into my print though. I stylize certain letters if I have time or am writing letters.

aeimquy159
1 hour ago, Maou-sama said:

I prefer writing in cursive, because I grew up in the time where it was required for all essays and exams. I can also write in cursive, with both hands. 

Top is write, bottom is left. You can see an obvious change though, because I can't see my strokes when I write with my left. 

Your left and right cursive comparisons reminded me of The Sword in the Stone.

KaPNfQE.jpg

My print is chicken scratch (like @Maou-sama) but my cursive looks like Barbie (like @Retrobot's). Outside of home I usually write in print, but slower so it's less scratchey looking and others can read it (though people still occasionally misread my numbers; like 9s for triangular 4s). At home I don't really do that because I can read my own handwriting. I like doing cursive but I don't really come across situations where it's needed. I agree with others in that print is faster than cursive for me (and is easier for me to reread when writing fast). On special occasion cards I do cursive. It's been years since I've needed to write anything with cursive (past signatures) yet it's still a fluent action for me. Unless I'm writing sentences my default is all lowercase in print. When I was in elementary I had writing legebility problems because my hands were (and still are) weak. The teachers preferred my cursive.

Anthracite_Impreza

Casual cursive apparently. I can write very neatly if I'm not being rushed, but I can't join all my letters up anymore like I used to.

Here in France, children are expected to use cursive almost as soon as we learn to write, and it is quite strictly enforced in schools. When I was at school aged 11, teachers would get very irate with anyone who wrote incorrectly or didn't write neatly. When I left school however, I abandoned cursive, and for many years I have written using my own style. I am still able to effortlessly switch back and write using cursive if I choose to do so. Although I hardly ever do this, my signature is based on cursive. 

I was taught to write in cursive but prefer not to, because my handwriting is very sloppy and that makes it even worse. I practise a lot to make it more readable but especially when taking notes I have to write so fast I cant take the time to make it neat. For special things like cards etc. I try to make it more neat but fail anyway :P but it makes it a bit more readable so that's something ;)

I usually write in cursive because it is what I have to do at work and it just sticks with me now and I'm much faster in cursive^^ I can write pretty clean but when I just write for myself it gets really messy. 

Ooh this is fun!

Here's my chicken scratch writing:

Phcy4Fu.png

Here's when I try to make my handwriting nice and pretty:

RwEVdbS.png

mk9OmjM.png

^ Don't mind my creepy shadow.

I used to write 50/50 cursive and print. Now It's closer to 80/20 or 90/10 cursive to print.

Yes, I know I'm cheating because I'm a baker and I need to write in chocolate. These are actual examples I did today haha. In general I prefer cursive as well; mostly because I learned it in school.

I'm telling you guys; nice cursive handwriting is going to be a commodity some day.

Archived