Poll: What is/was your favourite subject at school?

Just Me!

Your favourite subject?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Out of these...

• Maths
    • English
    • Sciences
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    • History
    • Geography
    • Religious Studies
    • PE/Games
    • Art
    • Drama
    • PSHE
    • Design Technology
    • Food Technology
    • Music
    • Lunchtime
    • I hated school
    • Other
  2. 2. On a scale of 1-10, how much did you enjoy school/are you enjoying school?

• More than 10

This poll is closed to new votes

Velvet Crowe

My favourite subject has always been foreign languages. French was a mandatory subject and German was something I and a handful of other students in my year group were permitted to take from Year 9 onwards, and I thoroughly loved both.

I loved learning languages to the extent where I'd take night courses to learn more! I had to stop these though after starting my A-level examinations: they warranted more attention.

Sage Raven Domino

My level of school and university enjoyment was 2.718281828459045... but I voted for 3.14... to express the same sentiment.

Anomaly Q3Xr

My favourite subjects in school where mathematics and science.  I did not enjoy school, I had no friends and was constantly bullied.  I spent break times on my own in the library or my form room working on my sci fi universe.

Philosophy is my all time favourite subject! If I only had to study philosophy in school, I would choose the "more than 10" option, but unfortunately other subjects are less interesting.

Hated elementary school cause I was the one of the few Indians at an all black school so the racism there wasn't fun.

Loved secondary school cause mom wasn't a teacher there so I could do what I want, everyone was friends sorta so my experience  was 75% good.

Liked Home Ec / Food technology cause we never did stuff it was like a 2 hr free period. HATED Accounting and Economics. 

Apathetic Echidna

I am pretty sure I hated most of school, but I think unless it was really traumatic you forget the pain in the fog of nostalgia

Breathing....

Loved biology, school was better than home neither were my idea of enjoyable.

On 19/05/2017 at 5:19 PM, Just Me, Myself and...Zie? said:

A bit arbitrary. Included core subjects which almost everyone will have been forced to cover at some point- it would've got too complex otherwise!

I understand that it was necessary but because of that if I had voted it would have messed your stats. What you call English was for me literature, what I call English was learning the language...maybe a category "foreign language X" and replacing English by "literature and / or grammar" would have solved that particular problem? Anyway it's a cultural problem that can never be resolved -- all that to say that I voted "other" so I could explain here :lol:

It really depended on the year, both because of the material and because of the teachers. I have always been particularly sensitive to teachers. I loved foreign languages most years, especially Spanish in middle school (I had a squish on the teacher, she was such an amazing person; I deeply regret not having tried to get to know her more when I could).

I loved English (foreign language too) in highschool, mainly because I had started reading books in English and that boosted my learning a lot.

I loved math in middle school. I was very good in music (I studied music outside of school) but didn't enjoy that much because I could either show off and be rejected or spend the class frustrated. I usually chose something in between that resulted in me being frustrated and rejected :ph34r:

Mainly, I liked most subjects for themselves but didn't always enjoy classes, depending on the teacher, and rarely enjoy school itself...because I bad relationships with most classmates. Bullying kind of takes the fun out of any social situations. Now I have healthier social relationships at uni, I can see that school could have been such an amazing experience, if not for my classmates.

I liked most subjects; but I had some difficulties with math and would get embarrassed in PE because I'm not really athletic and lots of my classmates were. 

My favourite subject though, was Media Arts.

I am sad that only me chose Chemistry...Honestly...the experiments...burning tests....was awesome!!!!! And you know the basics of drug/ toxin...why guys.........:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/19/2017 at 11:02 AM, orangecat said:

I am sad that only me chose Chemistry...Honestly...the experiments...burning tests....was awesome!!!!! And you know the basics of drug/ toxin...why guys.........:blink:

Chemistry! Experiments and flame tests for the win!

I answer this with my feelings about high school, which are completely different from my feelings about college. I love college, but high school was so full of bs. I couldn't take it. I was constantly treated like a baby, which is extremely frustrating for someone with an independent personality. In fact, I hated my whole childhood for that reason.

I'd rather have bills and a job and be overworked than give up my independence and be a child again. Especially in high school, where they don't just tell you what to do, but they tell you what to think and how to think it. I'm sorry, but my mind is none of their business, and they shouldn't fail me for not thinking how they tell me to. 

• 2 months later...

Checking out the results and I'm the only person that has selected geography LOL

I hated school, I went to mainly forces schools, they weren't very pleasant, as we moved around so much, the schools had a couldn't care attitude as they knew we would be moving on, my last few years, we lived in South Wales when my father came out of the forces, as an English person going to school in the Welsh valleys, where bullying and racism were rife, not helped by having a Welsh father who also hated me for being English, I couldn't wait to get out of school and out of Wales, when I went to college, I loved it.

Years later, I worked with a lot of Welsh people, I got on really well with them, all except management, I found them to be racist, I went back to the area where I lived when growing up, I ran into someone who attended the same school as me, he spat in my face and called me an English "c" that was over 30 years after leaving school, I have to say, they recognised me rather than me even speaking to them. I have more bad memories of school than good ones. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much did I enjoy school, I put 1, but I feel it should have been a big fat zero

Art was my first choice, then biology. Unfortunately, our bio teacher in grade 11/12 didn't challenge us at all, and was too lenient on the people who slacked off, so it made things pretty unenjoyable.

English (I used to be good at this). Otherwise, ugh... and don't even get me started on all those science subjects you never need again anyway.

It was English, or more specifically English Literature. It's still among my favourite subjects 12 years after leaving school. 

Honestly though, I hated school. I look back and can't remember anything good about it.

Until high school I hated going to school. I loved learning, but hated the breaks the most due to bullying.

I liked all subjects, but if i had to say my least favorites would be History, PE, arts, Health and ones that now don't exist anymore. I really liked languages, Philosophy and all kinds of sciences (Biology, Chemistry and even Physics (I was bad at it...)). Math and Geography were okay.

When I reached University, I discovered that Biology and related areas weren't for me and kept enjoying Chemistry, until my Master degree. Now I'm back at not knowing what I want. 

My favourite subjects were Chemistry, Maths and English. 

I chose chemistry because it's more or less what I'm studying right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh my school was abysmal, I spent time getting a google maps local guide status just so I could leave a bad review on my school, (It shows up first :)). I might have 'enjoyed' my time at school more if it wasn't one of the worst in my state, however I'm in the 'school is useless waste of my damn time' camp, so i'm not sure.

• 6 months later...

@Just Me, Myself and...Zie?

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived