Poll: What is/was your favourite subject at school?

Just Me!

Your favourite subject?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Out of these...

• Maths
    • English
    • Sciences
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    • History
    • Geography
    • Religious Studies
    • PE/Games
    • Art
    • Drama
    • PSHE
    • Design Technology
    • Food Technology
    • Music
    • Lunchtime
    • I hated school
    • Other
  2. 2. On a scale of 1-10, how much did you enjoy school/are you enjoying school?

• More than 10

This poll is closed to new votes

Grumpy Alien
6 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

@Graceful

Is that type of intense focus - both in terms of history and othe subjects- a typical thing in US schools?

Well history is the only subject where you can really focus on a single country but yes, history courses and curriculums are very America-centric.

History all the way, best subject ever, might get a master's degree in History.

History was fun, but I still hated school. I still hate school.

Knight of Cydonia

High School: Physics for me. I found it very satisfying and had a fantastic physics teacher for grades 11 and 12. Math and Music (Orchestra and Symphony) would be next.

University: Astronomy followed by Physics. 

Just now, Rhyme said:

History all the way, best subject ever, might get a master's degree in History.

My brother's doing his bachelor's in history right now!

2 minutes ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

My brother's doing his bachelor's in history right now!

That's awesome! Do you know what he's writing his... bachlor (what? what is it called? the long-ass essay you write to get your bachelor?) about?

Knight of Cydonia
1 minute ago, Rhyme said:

That's awesome! Do you know what he's writing his... bachlor (what? what is it called? the long-ass essay you write to get your bachelor?) about?

He's not doing an honours degree, so at my university that means he doesn't have to write a thesis essay. But he's mostly interested in 20th C. German history!

19 minutes ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

He's not doing an honours degree, so at my university that means he doesn't have to write a thesis essay. But he's mostly interested in 20th C. German history!

It's called a thesis. Sigh. Germany is so interesting, especially post-WW2 and the division

I chose sciences because I couldn't choose more than one. In college I really liked Astronomy a lot. Before then I would say it was a tie between biology and chemistry. One that I hated through all my years? Physics.

I liked math though I wasn't the best at it, and my Spanish courses followed that train as well once they started getting more advanced.

Another one I really loved in HS but never took in college was Psychology. I really wanted to, too!

When I was actually at school, a toss-up between physics and German, but looking back, I'd say anything involving problem solving (maths, science, foreign languages... etc.)

(So, naturally, I had to chose pi for how much I enjoyed school :D)

Skycaptain

Lunchtime, as that was time to do anything unrelated to coursework. School was endured, but if I knew then what I know now about ADHD, ASD, apraxia, hypogonadism and intersex it would have been better 

I very much disliked school, except art class, and depending on the topic, also biology... 

My favorite subject was art (I would actually be upset when art was canceled), quickly followed by biology..

and the subjects I hated and are the main reason that I really like not being in school anymore were German and French... they were the bane of my existence, I would of taken two or three times as much school if I could have just not had those two subjects... languages and I just don't get along... school would have been fine if I hadn't had English (which was fine after 6th grade for reasons..), German or French... I don't know which one was worse, they were all horrible for different reasons that all resulted in feeling like an idiot and getting bad grades... 

Oh and in 8th-10th grade when I had workshop, I also disliked that a lot.. except on the very rare occasion that we did technical drawing, I thought that was fun, but everyone in my class hated it, so my teacher, as a threat: if we weren't quite we'd do technical drawing the next week... it was a very effective threat... unfortunately...  

and I also still hold a minor grudge on my old elementary and mostly on my old middle school... for reasons... 

but art was always a good class for me :D

You should put stagecraft on there. Awesome class. 

LoyalandTrue

Tough one. I went with History, cause I am a Classics major and love reading about history of ancient Greece and Rome, but I REALLY like reading it from the perspective of fiction: I.e. myths and other stories. So, almost picked english. 

Also picked 7, cause school is rough, guys.

I've always been keen on the hard sciences (Chemistry / Physics) and mathematics, but after freshman year I learned to love History (especially US history) and English.

There wasn't just one subject that I liked...For the poll, I picked music. I was in band from junior high to high school. Did a few more years of marching band in college. 

I loved French, and took all that was offered in high school. Russian was fun in college, too.

I loved science classes, only some didn't love me back. I was good enough in high school to get into AP Biology, and do ok in it. In college, I first started majoring in Animal Science, but I guess I wasn't cut out for it.

Home Ec in junior high was fun. Got to cook/bake a lot of things. Also, loved the photography/film class at the time. I actually liked the fashion and interior design class in high school. Loved weight training back then, too. 

I wasn't too fond of history before college, but I usually did well in it. I loved it a lot more in college. Loved my intro to anthropology class so much, I decided to major in it.

I had kind of a love/hate relationship with school before college. Once I was in college I loved it. It was such a different environment, more interesting classes, made a lot more friends, fun activities on campus (like dances), Up All Nights (a fun night of games, movies, exploring different cultures, etc.), more interesting clubs, and much more. 

AspieAngel

I didn't start school until I was 8. I was a victim of bullying throughout school so I dreaded going every day. However, I did enjoy learning and still do. I had some amazing teachers here and there. My 7th grade science teacher is the one who got me hooked on the sciences. I looked forward to her classes as well as any math or art course. I try to learn something new every day. 

Félinferno

I absolutely despised school, but I didn't mind art class to much (even though it taught me absolutely nothing apart from a bit of art history). I enjoyed photography class as well, because most of the time we just chilled out and watched artistic movies, or played around on Photoshop.

I also had a class called 'Australia and Asia' in my early high school years. It was were we learned about different countries in Asia, and their cultures. We also learned about Aboriginal culture, which was cool. I remember we learned about Indonesia one time, then Japan, and Laos, and Cambodia. It was interesting stuff. Sadly it got cancelled a few years later due to not enough people taking the the class.

J. van Deijck

I loved (and still love) biology, chemistry, physics, IT sciences and some math.

but I hated school. I've always had the feeling that school does it wrong.

PE and 5, sometimes I liked going and sometimes it was horrible

was mostly glad to have PE and get out of the classroom tho

J. van Deijck

I've almost failed school because of PE :lol:

Just now, UVB-76 said:

I've almost failed school because of PE :lol:

You can DO that? My PE grades didn't even count for my graduation. They were that bad. 

J. van Deijck
2 minutes ago, Kelpie said:

You can DO that? My PE grades didn't even count for my graduation. They were that bad. 

in this shitty country where I live, all absurds become reality. :lol:

I still remember starting of high school, I didn't know yet that I was ill. we had to run a long distance. I started feeling bad after running a bit, then I just fainted and I don't even know what happened next - she didn't call the ambulance nor even checked if I was still alive. instead, she gave me the worst possible grades and said I should exercise more.

I went to the doctor and they found out that I suffer from mitral valve prolapse -that later turned out to be a part of inborn genetic disorder- and when you suffer from this, running is absolutely forbidden because it can even kill you. in the meantime I started to have more serious problems with my joints, to the point I had to undergo the knee surgery - these are also a part of my disorder. I got a doctor's certificate that said I was forbidden from taking part in PE classes for serious health purposes, and what? she didn't want to accept it because she said it was made up.

how angry my parents were then!

20 minutes ago, UVB-76 said:

Hide contents

I still remember starting of high school, I didn't know yet that I was ill. we had to run a long distance. I started feeling bad after running a bit, then I just fainted and I don't even know what happened next - she didn't call the ambulance nor even checked if I was still alive. instead, she gave me the worst possible grades and said I should exercise more.

I went to the doctor and they found out that I suffer from mitral valve prolapse -that later turned out to be a part of inborn genetic disorder- and when you suffer from this, running is absolutely forbidden because it can even kill you. in the meantime I started to have more serious problems with my joints, to the point I had to undergo the knee surgery - these are also a part of my disorder. I got a doctor's certificate that said I was forbidden from taking part in PE classes for serious health purposes, and what? she didn't want to accept it because she said it was made up.

how angry my parents were then!

now I feel a bit bad for liking the post about how you failed PE, but it did sound kinda funny

J. van Deijck
Just now, fiѕh said:

now I feel a bit bad for liking the post about how you failed PE, but it did sound kinda funny

now it quite is, it just wasn't funny 10 years ago when it was actually happening :lol:

now we can laugh because I don't have to bother with dumb teachers and bad PE grades XD

If it wasn't for the lack of understanding of the teachers when it came to my education or how they treated me when it came to my education I probably would have had very high grades and love school. But that is not how it played out and it played out a lot worse to be honest and I never technically finish school . but I was very interested in science the day my teachers pulled me out of science because I thought it was necessary was the day my grades crashed and burned for good. 

Schools are dumb, you don't take something a kid loves and throw it away just because they are struggling :(

I did this assuming we were talking about high school. My favorite subject was art (it was an elective but I took it all four years), and I would rate my high school experience as a 2. My school was really poor and had a lot of issues, so it wasn't very fun. I absolutely love college, though.

• 2 months later...

10. Honestly, If I won the lottery, I would probably just stay in school my entire life, collecting dozens of degrees.

It was usually math when I was in elementary and middle school, then Portuguese and band in 8th grade, then business and algebra in 9th, then bioethics in 10th. I'm guessing in 11th, it will be chemistry and Spanish.

If I even had some of those subjects, they might be my favorites (mostly geography and drama).

Archived