Poll: What is/was your favourite subject at school?

Just Me!

Your favourite subject?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Out of these...

• Maths
    • English
    • Sciences
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    • History
    • Geography
    • Religious Studies
    • PE/Games
    • Art
    • Drama
    • PSHE
    • Design Technology
    • Food Technology
    • Music
    • Lunchtime
    • I hated school
    • Other
  2. 2. On a scale of 1-10, how much did you enjoy school/are you enjoying school?

• More than 10

This poll is closed to new votes

A bit arbitrary. Included core subjects which almost everyone will have been forced to cover at some point- it would've got too complex otherwise!

I thought it was math.

Once I got to HS I realized it wasn't math that I liked, it was arithmetic -- which commonly gets lumped under mathematics.  HS is pretty much where they actually start teaching you math -- and most math is fucking stupid unless you're going to be an engineer or scientist or something.  Arithmetic has far more practical value.

Grumpy Alien

I hated school. I would rate it a negative integer if I could.

Ps you might want to clarify on PSHE. I had to Google that. We would call that "health" class here. Maybe even "sex ed."

chair jockey

I treated school like a social event because I barely left my room except when in school. Complete absence of study and effort in school didn't prevent me from getting jobs later, including what some people would call one good job (claims adjudicator at the workers compensation board). If I were starting school today, I would likely receive assistance for personality disorders and cognitive disabilities and might actually end up with an education, but such things were at the Stone Age stage of development when I was a kid 40 to 50 years ago.

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

I liked & still like biology the most. But i also liked english, geometry, algebra, & music/orchestra as well

I would rate it more than 10 ... But then i saw pi & i couldn't resist it as an answer :lol:

Yeah, I've never heard of PSHE either.

I loved art so much that I took 3 different art classes each year. Normal art class, applied graphic arts(basically digital art) and animation which I had to switch in the final year as it stopped running so I went with photography. 

School wasnt too bad for me... I had one really awful year but highschool was actually ok. I met 2 of my Irl best friends there so that was nice at least. And in the final year I was super happy because I was able to drop math and science all together. That last year was pretty chill lol.

I enjoyed the science subjects, with maths being a close second. I put 5 for how much I enjoyed school, because I loved the learning bit but was bullied a lot so wasn't particularly happy.

11 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

Yeah, I've never heard of PSHE either.

PSHE stands for Personal Social Health and Economic education, and in the UK it is the the class where they basically teach you anything and everything which isn't covered in other classes, such as politics, social issues, sexuality/gender issues (not the biological bit, that's taught in science classes), etc. It's supposed to be the class that prepares you for adult life I guess but it fails spectacularly.

It would be interesting to hear how many people have gone on to careers related to their favourite school subject. I'm an ecologist, so my liking of the sciences has certainly stayed with me.

I think it needs to be clarified if it's high school, middle school, college or in general.  Because I really didn't like high school or below but I loved college.  Also my favorite classes were always the language classes or linguistics, even in high school.

aeimquy159

PE was mine. I hated school and just wanted to be outside having fun. 

God of the Forest

I have to pick just one! heh no! lol In middle school I liked Geography and and throughout the rest of my life I LOVED and continue to LOVE Science, Biology, History (Particulary, history of ancient culture and German history..not because im a Nazi, although I do think it interesting and there is a lot to be learned from the mistakes of that culture :P ), In College I breathed Anthropology but sadly Anthro doesnt have a whole heck of lot of practical application as far as demand for jobs, As Mike Rowe said, "Don't follow your passion, follow opportunity, but take your passion with you"

PSHE stands for Personal Social Health and Economic education, and in the UK it is the the class where they basically teach you anything and everything which isn't covered in other classes, such as politics, social issues, sexuality/gender issues (not the biological bit, that's taught in science classes), etc. It's supposed to be the class that prepares you for adult life I guess but it fails spectacularly.

The one class that stands to teach the teenagers something they'll actually make use of in life, and it apparently sucks.

Yep, that's the education system for ya

My most painful memories are of school. I used to wish I was dead so I wouldn't have to go back.

cooliocool

I liked art the most. Then I liked math and PE. I also like learning foreign languages. I didn't enjoy the other subjects. Yeah I like some of the aspects of school. But overall I didn't enjoy the education aspect of it. 

28 minutes ago, podsnap said:

My most painful memories are of school. I used to wish I was dead so I wouldn't have to go back.

Word. I'd have committed murder to attend one of these alternative schools that are cropping up these last few years... so unfair...

nerdperson777

Math was everything. I even got my degree in it. But I was probably better at chemistry. Though my interest in chemistry probably came from my math background so I decided to major in the subject I liked instead of the one I was good at. Everything else was bleh to me. Music was okay. Didn't care for PE. English was just ew. I still suck at writing essays. I never really had chance to art so can't say much about that. 

Diamond Ace of Hearts

hmmmm....

I hated school regardless of the lessons. The other students were a grab-bag of bullies, sociopaths, arseholes and psychopaths who tainted every lesson. RE was good because the teacher was cool and back then I used to think I was religious, PSHE was total crap, they taught us nothing. English is a subject I like in general but hated at school, maths I hated but was very good at, despite what my teachers believed. History and Geography were taught by the real life embodiment of Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter, French was good in my first year because the teacher was actually French, she left and we got the bitter old woman who was Umbridge's sidekick instead. German I liked and was OK at until third year when we got handed over to the least teachery teacher ever. The lessons were fun but we learned nothing because he had no control, he cheated us through our German exams. Drama and PE were what I liked to do best but other students ruined them for me. Art was a waste of time as I had no talent and no appreciation for the history parts of it. Food Tech was a waste of time, all the other art/design stuff was the same. IT was never explained properly. Science I liked and was OK at but the teachers seemed to hate me and again, other students, bleurgh. I think that just about covers it. Oh, and I spent breaks trying to make friends with the least objectionable individuals I could find - and failing miserably.

Find a favourite amongst all that crap and you're a better person than I. I voted drama though, because that is the one I would have done all day if I had the choice and you take out the other students.

Grumpy Alien
Math - Hated it
English - I was good at it but didn't enjoy it
Sciences - Hated it
Biology - Hated it
Chemistry - Hated it
Physics - Never had it
History - I love history but hated the intense focus on US history
Geography - Never had it
Religious Studies - I went to a Catholic high school and found religion class interesting enough
PE/Games - Only had it in grade school. Hated it
Art - Only had it in grade school. It was okay
Drama - Never had it
PSHE - The closest thing I had were a few singular lessons (not courses) on health and sex and those were kinda uninformative
Design Technology - I don't even know what that is
Food Technology - Is that like culinary? I didn't go to culinary school 
Music - I had this as a little kid. Hated it
Lunchtime - Hated it.

Other: 
Psychology - Love the subject but my teacher was horrendous 
Spanish - It was okay but I sucked at it
French - I liked it but I sucked at it

TL;DR: Hated it

Maths - Was boring, but was in the top classes for it

English - Being Dyslexic didn't help, but I achived a decent grade at it.

Sciences - Experiments were fun

Biology - Least of my favourite sciences

Chemistry - Could of been fun but preferred Physics over it.

Physics - Where Maths can be fun!

History - Can be interesting, enjoyed Pre WW2 Germany lessons for example.

Geography - Never a fan of it.

Religious Studies - Not a religious fan, though it at least helped me prepare for understanding other religions a wee bit

PE/Games - Can be fun, but hated the track stuff.

Art - Never understood Art

Drama - Never really had drama

PSHE - Boooooring

Design Technology - The Theory was more fun that the practical in myy opinion.

Food Technology - Some of it was decent.

Music - One of the few to play an instrument in my school before having to do any music classes was an advantage

Lunchtime - Who hates Lunchtime? 1 hour FREEDOMMMMMM

Computing - Favourite subject, career ended up in this field.

School in general - Just a drag, and hated being forced in gong to it, but nothing really bad about it.

Math out of those, though I also liked art and science.

GreenCircles

Music! Academically though, I would say English. Or maybe foreign language (Spanish). 

I didn't like school much until I got to college. I loved college. I've been slightly miserable ever since graduating, haha :P 

It always surprises me to hear how most people regard college highly over HS.  For me it was just more of the same bullshit.

Maths and Computer science. Although what my high school called computer science was laughable(Binary, and a little java...in three years -_-)

Hence, I'm pursing a degree in Cyber security & networking.

My favorites depended on the year, and teacher.

I'd say my consistent favorites were Art, Biology, and PE.

I loved school, because it was an escape from hell that was my homelife. It was the only time I had to myself.

14 hours ago, Philip027 said:

It always surprises me to hear how most people regard college highly over HS.  For me it was just more of the same bullshit.

For me, I prefered College and Uni over High School as I was just studying what I wanted to study in them, while High School forced me to do a whole load of stuff that I didn't have an interest in. Plus in College and Uni, you get treated like an adult while even later years in high school when you may be legally treated like an adult elsewhere, you are still a kid in the schools eyes.

Example being teachers in school always had to be referred to as Mr/Mrs/Miss X and you got into serious trouble for referring to them by their first name. College and Uni the lecturers were normally encouraging students to address them by their first name, like you can to any other adult, including future bosses.

I liked:

History,

English (as a foreign language, seeing as I'm in Poland),

Polish (which was mostly literature)

Geography

I dislked:

Physics (it didn't help that our HS teacher couldn't explain stuff)

Math(s)

Chemistry (though, interestingly, I really liked it in the elementary school and I really liked my HS chemistry teacher)

PE

German (the second foreign language)

IT ( I didn't have a computer until I was 24 and until that point was intensely compophobic

@Graceful

History - I love history but hated the intense focus on US history

Is that type of intense focus - both in terms of history and othe subjects- a typical thing in US schools?

Archived