Article: "Studio M: Relationships without ‘asexual’ requirement"

SkyWorld

http://mtsusidelines.com/2017/05/studio-m-relationships-without-asexual-requirement/

Author: Cim Digital (story by Tayhlor Stephenson)

Date: May 17th, 2017

Millennials are the hook-up generation, the demographic cohort that offers “friends with benefits.” But like all stereotypes and generalizations, this simplifies what is a complicated issue– sex, that is– for any generation.

However, there’s a sizable number of millennials for whom going all the way in a relationship has nothing to do with sliding between the sheets. They identify as asexual and more and more young adults see themselves this way.

straightouttamordor

Some things I don't like about millennials, some things I admire them for. Just like any other generation. Perhaps they see what didn't or doesn't work ? The screwed up lives of their parents may influence them to try something different too. Not just the hook up mentality of their peers. Don't think the hook up isn't around in Gen Xers ! Plenty of cougars and players my age and older trolling around for some hook up

WinterWanderer

The term "millennial" frustrates me because of its negative connotations. It seems like it's only used by other generations to fit us all into one box. But in reality, we aren't all the same. I know millennials who love sex. I know millennials who don't. I know millennials who sleep around. I know millennials who don't. I know millennials who have multiple jobs and work 70+ hours a week. I know millennials who aren't even bothering to work at all. I know millennials who are trustworthy and kind, and some who are dishonest and rude.

Anyway, all this is to say that: 1) I like this article, because it sheds some light on the fact that not all millennials feel the same way about sex. :) And 2) I wish that more people tried to understand us, instead of locking onto assumptions about us.

I like the article because it addresses asexuality and millennials, we all aren't on Tinder or Grindr or whatever the "cool, hip kids are into" urg. But I kinda hate that patronizing tone, " Some identify as asexual, and more and more see themselves this way", urg. It's making asexuality sound like some new hip thing that young kids are going through, like being gay or bi was described a few years ago. I sincerely believe more people are ace than actually know it and statistics are off because people don't understand, but I digress...

"The identifier “asexual” has become an umbrella term with subcategories that fall under it, such as aromantic (little or no sexual attraction to anyone)"

Urm.......aromantic isn't a subcategory of the asexual spectrum, and it doesn't mean that. Not sure what they think asexual actually means if they think aromantic means no sexual attraction. Also not a fan of how they don't explain the difference between asexual and the asexual spectrum either, leading to the little sexual attraction part being consdiered ace, or aro as they put it, when it would techincally relate to the grey or demi parts of the spectrum. 

I mean, I get that they tried, but still. There's a reason people get confused or annoyed about our labels, and it's usually because they're being misrepresented. For some people this will be the first time they hear all these terms.

Archived