Article: "Everything You Need To Know About Demisexuals"

SkyWorld

http://www.informationng.com/2017/05/everything-need-know-demisexuals.html

Author: Olayinka

Date: May 14th, 2017

Dating comes with plenty of challenges. But for those who identify as demisexual, there are a few added layers to navigate — particularly when trying to explain their position to those that aren’t familiar with the term.

This is pretty good. I really am glad it includes a statement about how common demisexuality may seem in very conservative wait-until-marriage societies, but it does break down differences and acknowledges that a) demisexuals are not asexual, but may feel similar, and b) sexual attraction/desire isn't guaranteed after a waiting period. Overall not too bad!

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

Thanks a lot for sharing! I really enjoyed reading this. I think it's even one of the best, clearest and most useful article I ever saw on the net so far. It may be too late to "illuminate" my ex with these missing facts but it might be very handy for some of my remaining friends to help them understand my identity.

TheLittleRabbit

“Men connect with people they share experiences with much more so than women, who connect with shared intimacies.”

WTF???  Yeah, sure, let's just end the article on a completely sexist note, with no reason, explanation, or support for this remark, and has absolutely nothing to even do with the topic of the article.  And I get that some of the sexism is included by the author between direct quotes, so I don't know if the source was more sexist and the author wanted to skim over it, or if the author was taking these quotes partially out of context to support their own biases, but either way, I'm confused by the positive response to this article so far when it seems like it portrays demisexuals negatively.  It reads more like "Everything You Have to Give Up If You Want to Date a Demisexual."  Maybe next time they should interview an actual demisexual, or at least someone who has actually dated a demisexual?  One of the sources is a sexologist(who is very, very strongly on the sex-positive and from my brief research I could find nothing connecting her to demisexuality/asexuality-- She's the staff sexologist for Good Vibrations), the other is a "Clinical Director/Licensed Professional Counselor" at a facility that according to it's website and his personal blurb in no way specializes in asexuality or demisexuality... they're not mentioned at all-- both of these sources seem to be moreso relevant to bisexuality with their professional experience.  For those of us who are part of this community, we already know the potential benefits of being in a relationship with a demisexual-- but imagine reading this from the perspective of someone where this is their FIRST time hearing the word demisexual. 

I learned way more about cishet men reading this article than I did about demisexuals lol.

Archived