Vegan News

The Dryad

@chandrakirti 

Lol, it is good to see veganism thriving,buuuuut I'm also kinda over it, like I'm fully committed to my ethics and diet with no compromises, but I'm over the ethics war, I'm over these people who can't commit, I'm basically just tired of other vegans tbh, most of the time they aren't fully committed anyways, and I'm more comfortable just existing in my own bubble, I don't even see veganism as "weird" anymore, but rather meat-eaters are weird, but that's something that's come with a surplus of time with this particular way of living. I've read alot of "old" vegan books like Back to Eden, and the Essene Bible, and some Seventh day Adventist books as well that's "normalized" it for me so yeah....

On another note, I was planning to do this whole Black History month post, a couple of weeks ago, but alas, I was too lazy. Sorry guys.

Okay, so I was going to make this post for Black History Month (but I was too lazy), but this information is still really relevant and important regardless of when it's read. There are plenty of Black vegans around, but they aren't as visible as their white counterparts.

The "Classics"

Queen Afua

-Is a priestess if an old Egyptian order that can be traced back to the Nubian kingdom that can be seen as the original of Christianity. Known for  Sacred Woman and Heal Thyself

Llaila Afrika

- known most famously for African Holistic Health. In this book, he explains the original of medicine and the natural ways to heal the body, especially for Black people, crediting the declination of health to eating foods of Western people instead of naturally Eastern foods.

Dick Gregory

- a comedian and civil rights activist, who also wrote this

https://www.amazon.com/Dick-Gregorys-Natural-Diet-Folks/dp/0060803150

*Dick Gregory was an ethical vegetarian, and later vegan, who saw that correlation between the dehumanizing behavior of whites towards blacks, and the mistreatment of humans towards animals, who can also be implied to be one of the reasons many other civil rights era heros became vegetarians and vegans (Coretta Scott King and Rosa Parks and Alice Walker)

Dr. Sebi

- a controversial person, similar to Ann Wigmore, known for being taken to court for claims to cure diseases. One of the pioneers of Black veganism and natural diet movement, also believed that the health of Black people could be cured by eating a diet more similar to a traditional African diet.

Tracye Lynn McQuirter 

Wrote By Any Greens Necessary, she and her sister a known for the first black vegan website from about 20 years ago, she also helped collaborate the CoK/TryVeg African American vegan starter guide.

The New Wave

Sistah Vegan ( A. Breeze Harper) is a socio-political blog and the name of her book, in which she talks about ethics, the black community, feminism, and etc.

Bryant Terry- known for Afro-Vegan, but also has a few other vegan cookbooks centered around soul food and other Black foods.

Aph Love and Syl Ko

Two sisters. Aph Ko is known for writing an article on 100 Black vegans, which then began Black Vegans Rock. She and her sister have since wrote a book.

https://www.amazon.com/Aphro-ism-Culture-Feminism-Veganism-Sisters/dp/159056555X

(Under editing, will finish later)

• 1 month later...
ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

Are there any vegans here who are in to spirituality? If so, are your reasons for being vegan purely (or mostly) spiritual?

I, myself, am trying my best to be vegan, for spirituality, but sometimes I have to eat eggs.....

On 2/18/2018 at 4:47 PM, The Dryad said:

The Vegan Workshop project really sounds like it's up my alley, especially because the stories of vegans of color are so limited and invisible ( BTW have you heard of Black Vegans Rock, Aph Love and Syl Love are two people I've been following for years now and look up to, they just released a book [mostly all their essays from their blog which they took down, I was pretty upset, tbh] but they know sooooo much history and have done a lot of research, plus Dick Gregory and Rosa Parks and Alice Walker were vegan and vegetarian too.)

(Sorry, I was meaning to respond to this much sooner but I got caught up with other things that I haven’t had much time to do anything else!) Did you ever send in a submission to that website?

No, I haven’t heard of Aph and Syl Love, but I’ll have to look them up now, thanks! 

On 2/18/2018 at 4:47 PM, The Dryad said:

As for vegan artists, I personally was looking for vegan paint and brushes and I'd already heard of the ones you posted, but also the "vegan artists" I found, I don't think are too concerned with where the pigments come from, the only one I loyally follow is frannerd though and she used markers, which I'm sure are chemically made?

I think there are quite a few vegan artists who are concerned with where their supplies come from. I might post some names when I have some more time. 

On 4/15/2018 at 11:46 PM, The Angel of Eternity said:

Are there any vegans here who are in to spirituality? If so, are your reasons for being vegan purely (or mostly) spiritual?

I, myself, am trying my best to be vegan, for spirituality, but sometimes I have to eat eggs.....

The Dryad has posted a lot about veganism and Christianity and if you go back a few pages, you’ll find Oval has discussed a little bit about the connections between veganism and Jainism. I’m not vegan for spiritual reasons, but I might be able to point you in the direction of other people (outside of AVEN, too) who intertwine the two if you’re looking for something else specific. There’s a vegan (also asexual) woman on YouTube whose channel is called Antastesia who draws spiritual inspiration from Catholicism and Jainism, then I’ve run across various Wiccans on YouTube who are vegan, if that’s something you’d be interested in? Let me know. :)

What issues have you been experiencing which lead you to eating eggs, if you don’t mind sharing? Maybe I can help with that, too?

Oh, also! Has anybody here started to do any gardening yet this season? Since I live in an apartment, and subsequently don’t have a yard, I’ve been doing all my “gardening” indoors and I’ve been growing my plants “veganically”. If no one has heard of that, here’s a link:

https://www.goveganic.net/

Has anyone else tried this? Does anybody have any tips for growing plants indoors? If anyone wants the brand names of some vegan potting soil, let me know!

@Zosia, the two simplest things to remember are make sure they get the maximum amount of daylight, and leave a nearby window open when they are in flower so a bee or similar can pollenate them. 

Also some plants take up a lot of space 

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø
On 4/18/2018 at 1:39 PM, Zosia said:

The Dryad has posted a lot about veganism and Christianity and if you go back a few pages, you’ll find Oval has discussed a little bit about the connections between veganism and Jainism. I’m not vegan for spiritual reasons, but I might be able to point you in the direction of other people (outside of AVEN, too) who intertwine the two if you’re looking for something else specific. There’s a vegan (also asexual) woman on YouTube whose channel is called Antastesia who draws spiritual inspiration from Catholicism and Jainism, then I’ve run across various Wiccans on YouTube who are vegan, if that’s something you’d be interested in? Let me know. :)

What issues have you been experiencing which lead you to eating eggs, if you don’t mind sharing? Maybe I can help with that, too?

I will be sure to check out The Dryad and Oval. And sure, I would love for you to show me others, even outside of AVEN, as well! And I'm very open-minded and interested in checking out these other spiritual YouTubers! Thanks for the suggestions!

I have to eat eggs sometimes because I live on a college campus where there isn't a lot of protein-filled vegan food. Also, my university's mascot is an Aggie, which, I think, is a word for a female cow (correct me if I'm wrong), so the university is strongly into dairy. (I go to Utah State, in case anyone was wondering)

WoodwindWhistler

Hum, I think I have a list of vegan atheletes around here somewhere. Somebody made a comment on an article specifying which ones actually *built* muscle from vegan sources rather than going vegan after starting their career. I thought that was pretty neat. I want to make T-shirts with pictures of them. 
Edit: Also musicians who are vegan. 

Why can I never keep track of anything. *headdesk*

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@faraday☘, have you thought of growing Spirulina? My husband grew it in the 1980s and we used to dry it and powder it for sprinkling on cereals etc. I love the idea of your Hydroponic garden.

BobRossRules
On 4/28/2018 at 2:04 PM, chandrakirti said:

@faraday☘, have you thought of growing Spirulina? My husband grew it in the 1980s and we used to dry it and powder it for sprinkling on cereals etc. I love the idea of your Hydroponic garden.

No, actually I never thought of it.  I use the powder in my smoothes sometimes.  Doesn't it grow underwater?  I actually never seen the actual plant itself.  I'm open to growing anything.  I have a cucumber to harvest.  I will soon start a new garden as most of my plants are reaching the end their cycle.  I want to grow baby broccoli and more kale.   

Archived